Author Topic: BETA READERS NEEDED  (Read 19310 times)

Offline aimsame

• Xander's xXx
BETA READERS NEEDED
« on: Mon, Jul 11, 2005, 07:03 AM »
I vaugely remember something about where to find a good beta program for fan fics on the old board. Is there something that most of you guys use?If so would you be kind enough to share? Thanks

ETA:
Please visit this link in the current thread to read about using Google Documents for a collaborative beta feature.
Thanks!
Elaine:)

ETA:
A Note to the Betas:

There have been a few posts about what it is to be a beta, about what's expected and what they are expected to do for you as a writer and to improve your storytelling skills. On top of all the great things that a beta reader will do for us, I'd like to add one more thing.

A beta reader should be well-versed on VX's Fanfic Rules. Sometimes when we're writing, it's very easy to get so carried away with with what we're doing that we may forget simple things like what makes up the mandatory header, where the line is between an 'R' rating and an 'NC17' rating, or that we may have crossed the line on age of consent for example. This is where having a beta poke you with a note or two before something is posted can really come in handy. So betas, take a moment to reacquaint yourself with VX's fanfic rules, here.

Thanks,
Elaine:)
« Last Edit: Wed, Dec 31, 1969, 04:00 PM by aimsame »
~Amy

"When I get a little money I buy books; and if any is left I buy food and clothes." Desiderius Erasmus

"I have dreamed in my life, dreams that have stayed with me ever after, and changed my ideas; they have gone through and through me, like wine through water, and altered the color of my mind." Emily Bronte

Offline Silsin

• Dreamer
  • Administrator
  • Supreme VXer
  • updates? no thanks!
    • Facebook
    • Twitter
    • VinXperience
(No subject)
« Reply #1 on: Fri, Jul 15, 2005, 03:54 AM »
hmm I always use a living beta - JsV is 'betaing' my stuff...
Sil ;)
« Last Edit: Wed, Dec 31, 1969, 04:00 PM by silsin »

There is no reason not to follow your heart! Steve Jobs

Offline aimsame

• Xander's xXx
(No subject)
« Reply #2 on: Fri, Jul 15, 2005, 06:11 AM »
personal proofreader huh. Sounds like a plan.  :b Thanks!
« Last Edit: Wed, Dec 31, 1969, 04:00 PM by aimsame »
~Amy

"When I get a little money I buy books; and if any is left I buy food and clothes." Desiderius Erasmus

"I have dreamed in my life, dreams that have stayed with me ever after, and changed my ideas; they have gone through and through me, like wine through water, and altered the color of my mind." Emily Bronte

Offline Jassiki

• Dom's Desire
(No subject)
« Reply #3 on: Sat, Jul 16, 2005, 06:49 PM »
what are beta programs?
« Last Edit: Wed, Dec 31, 1969, 04:00 PM by Jassiki »

[size=109]Treasure Trooper[/size]

Offline riddickulously obsessed

• Dom's Desire
    • http://www.anunexpectedlove.com
(No subject)
« Reply #4 on: Fri, Jul 22, 2005, 05:05 PM »
yeah I was wondering the same thing.

-Ro
« Last Edit: Wed, Dec 31, 1969, 04:00 PM by riddickulously obsessed »
"They say most of your brain shuts down during cryo-sleep. All but the primitive side, the animal side."

No wonder I'm still awake.

Offline toughbaby

• Xander's xXx
(No subject)
« Reply #5 on: Fri, Jul 22, 2005, 07:20 PM »
Betas are people who read your fics and gives you helpful hints, and tells you what may be misspelled and out of place, or missing.

There is no system really. You simply ask someone to be your beta. I will make this thread into a beta thread. Where you come here, and can either say you want to be a beta or ask someone to be YOUR beta. Okay?

I am free to be a Beta if anyone needs some help and a proofreader!

Tasha
« Last Edit: Wed, Dec 31, 1969, 04:00 PM by toughbaby »

Offline riddickulously obsessed

• Dom's Desire
    • http://www.anunexpectedlove.com
(No subject)
« Reply #6 on: Fri, Jul 22, 2005, 07:51 PM »
Okay thanks!  I knew about a person being a beta, but it sounded like maybe there was some type of program out there that would scan your story.  It could never be as good as a live person though!

-Ro
« Last Edit: Wed, Dec 31, 1969, 04:00 PM by riddickulously obsessed »
"They say most of your brain shuts down during cryo-sleep. All but the primitive side, the animal side."

No wonder I'm still awake.

Offline Jassiki

• Dom's Desire
(No subject)
« Reply #7 on: Sun, Jul 24, 2005, 04:28 AM »
Quote from: "riddickulously obsessed"
Okay thanks!  I knew about a person being a beta, but it sounded like maybe there was some type of program out there that would scan your story.  It could never be as good as a live person though!

-Ro

thats what i was thinkin to..

Ya i will need a beta, once im finished with the first chapter (its a PB story)
« Last Edit: Wed, Dec 31, 1969, 04:00 PM by Jassiki »

[size=109]Treasure Trooper[/size]

Offline Sheila

• Supreme VXer
(No subject)
« Reply #8 on: Sun, Jul 24, 2005, 09:27 AM »
Quote from: "Jassiki"
Quote from: "riddickulously obsessed"

-Ro

thats what i was thinkin to..

Was thinking that too.  :laughter
« Last Edit: Wed, Dec 31, 1969, 04:00 PM by Sheila »

Offline toughbaby

• Xander's xXx
(No subject)
« Reply #9 on: Mon, Jul 25, 2005, 03:44 PM »
Nope, all you have to do is ask me, or someone you know to read over it, and tell you what you are missing. Send it through e-mail, they beta, and that is it.

Tasha

Offline Gio

• Riddick's Lover
Beta reader?
« Reply #10 on: Mon, Aug 01, 2005, 03:37 AM »
Where you come here, and can either say you want to be a beta or ask someone to be YOUR beta.

Well, I'm definately in a need of one trustable... (No trust issues, heh heh...  :hit2 )

Anyway, my former reader told me that I was a petty little bitch (  :evillol ) and decided that he doesn't like me, so now I'm in a need of a new one.

I am free to be a Beta if anyone needs some help and a proofreader!

Tasha

Tasha...?  :candle Please?
« Last Edit: Wed, Dec 31, 1969, 04:00 PM by Gio »
Life is too short not to be loved and not to love..
So, love... Preferably multiple times a night.

Offline toughbaby

• Xander's xXx
(No subject)
« Reply #11 on: Mon, Aug 01, 2005, 12:31 PM »
Sure Gio, I will be your beta. Send me an e-mail and we will discuss it.

Tasha :)

Offline Rachel

• Supreme VXer
(No subject)
« Reply #12 on: Mon, Aug 08, 2005, 05:18 AM »
If anybody is stuck for proof-reading, it is my job, so I'll be happy to help out :rule
« Last Edit: Wed, Dec 31, 1969, 04:00 PM by Rachel »

Offline toughbaby

• Xander's xXx
(No subject)
« Reply #13 on: Mon, Aug 15, 2005, 12:46 AM »
Thanks Rachel for your assistance!

:write

Offline Reeba

• Dom's Desire
(No subject)
« Reply #14 on: Mon, Oct 03, 2005, 07:14 AM »
Hello there,
I already sent toughbaby a PM, but maybe it's not a bad idea to ask here, too.
My native language is German, not English, so I am in need of a beta reader (as soon as my first chapter is finished). I'm writing the whole story in German and translating it afterwards, and I will see to not forcing anyone who's interested in proof-reading it into too much work, but still there may be some grave mistakes or funny sentences... just the way it is when you simply or mostly translate from one language into another (even with a 4 pound dictionary on your knees).
So I really would be very, very grateful for any kind of help :-)
Thanks to all of you,
greetz, Reeba
« Last Edit: Wed, Dec 31, 1969, 04:00 PM by Reeba »
'I just made an awesome discovery!!! When you mix blue and yellow you get an entirely new color! I will call it blellow!' (Neithan, InSacred chatroom)

'It is the boy. He has eaten the pancake." - 'Truly this is our blackest hour.' (Hellboy, The Right Hand of Doom)

Offline Montgomery Burns 13

• Villain
  • Global Moderator
  • Supreme VXer
  • Every hero needs a formidable villain
(No subject)
« Reply #15 on: Mon, Oct 03, 2005, 09:01 AM »
Hi Reeba,

If you still need somebody to review your fanfic, PM me and I'll do it (unless it's a songfic, that is).
« Last Edit: Wed, Dec 31, 1969, 04:00 PM by Montgomery Burns 13 »
Who needs love when you've got a gun, who needs love to have some fun. Black Flag
Feelings are overrated. Dean Winchester

my fanfics

Offline Reeba

• Dom's Desire
(No subject)
« Reply #16 on: Mon, Oct 03, 2005, 09:12 AM »
Hi Montgomery,
this is very nice, thanks for your offer:-) I sent you a PM.
Greetz, Reeba
« Last Edit: Wed, Dec 31, 1969, 04:00 PM by Reeba »
'I just made an awesome discovery!!! When you mix blue and yellow you get an entirely new color! I will call it blellow!' (Neithan, InSacred chatroom)

'It is the boy. He has eaten the pancake." - 'Truly this is our blackest hour.' (Hellboy, The Right Hand of Doom)

Offline freekyjynx

• Dom's Desire
(No subject)
« Reply #17 on: Thu, Nov 24, 2005, 08:24 PM »
Ok, I'm trying to get up the nerve to post my 1st ficcie... anyone interested lemme know... I have quite a few chapters so far... but it's at a stall right now b/c my hubby is off of work and I just find it hard to write when he's home, but after he's back to work (don't know when that'll be actually), I expect it to roll along again.

~Jynx
« Last Edit: Wed, Dec 31, 1969, 04:00 PM by freekyjynx »
Some people are like Slinkies...

Not really good for anything, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

A different kind of pain

Useless Pic's

Offline DieselFan05

• Xander's xXx
    • Facebook
    • Twitter
(No subject)
« Reply #18 on: Thu, Jan 19, 2006, 06:41 AM »
OK PEOPLE PLEASE HELP I HAVE A NEW FIC POSTED
AND I NEED THE BETA ITS CALLED "UNDYING LOVE" AND "LIFE'S VERDICT"
THANK YOU
« Last Edit: Wed, Dec 31, 1969, 04:00 PM by DieselFan05 »

Offline ladylilith

• Dom's Desire
(No subject)
« Reply #19 on: Sun, Jan 29, 2006, 11:23 AM »
Hi!
I'm trying to write a fanfic ... but is all in spanish , I'm translating to english, is very difficult and I wonder if any of you ( the english native speakers) can help me and be my beta reader- corrector- teacher- anything else ...

Thanks
« Last Edit: Wed, Dec 31, 1969, 04:00 PM by ladylilith »
Greetings from Spain :D

Offline angscott

I will be a beta reader
« Reply #20 on: Sun, Jan 29, 2006, 09:09 PM »
If anyone is in need of a reader let me know I would like to help whoever needs it.

Thanks

Angie
« Last Edit: Wed, Dec 31, 1969, 04:00 PM by angscott »

Offline ladylilith

• Dom's Desire
(No subject)
« Reply #21 on: Tue, Feb 07, 2006, 12:26 PM »
Hello, it's me again :lol
I'm writing a new fanfic, completely in English and I need a beta reader  of support, because I already have one. My English is not very good, that's why I hope that you could help me.
Thank you.
« Last Edit: Wed, Dec 31, 1969, 04:00 PM by ladylilith »
Greetings from Spain :D

Offline beth913

• Supporter
  • Dom's Desire
(No subject)
« Reply #22 on: Tue, Feb 07, 2006, 07:48 PM »
Ladylilith - do you have a reader yet?  I am a teacher by trade and would be happy to edit your work.  But since it would be my first editing, you may want to see if anyone else with more experience would do it, as well.
« Last Edit: Wed, Dec 31, 1969, 04:00 PM by beth913 »

Offline beautifuldoglover

• Multi-Facial
Seeking a Beta Reader
« Reply #23 on: Mon, Feb 13, 2006, 01:21 AM »
If someone has the time I could really use a Beta reader.  
Thanks...
christina
« Last Edit: Wed, Dec 31, 1969, 04:00 PM by beautifuldoglover »

thanks to evilgrin for the fabulous signature...

Offline sadie

• Riddick's Lover
(No subject)
« Reply #24 on: Tue, Feb 14, 2006, 08:31 PM »
I've never done this before, but I'd be more than happy to help anyone.  English is my first language, I'm good at picking up spelling and most grammatical errors...  I've helped others on editing and proofreading, but those were all school papers.....all nonfiction.  But I'd be happy to give opinions on storyline and flow.  And I won't of offended if you don't take my advice.  LOL.  Like I said, I've never been a "Beta" before, so you might need to help me along in the beginning!!! LOL !!!!  Just PM me.
« Last Edit: Wed, Dec 31, 1969, 04:00 PM by sadie »

[size=84]
"Quando finisce la partita, i pedoni, le torri, i cavalli, i vescovi, i due re e le due regine tutti vanno nello stesso scatolo."

"You have to live a Plan A on any level. Make it a lower case 'A' if you have to, but live your Plan A. Anything else belittles the importance of life" - Diesel
[/size]

There is only one Race.  The Human one.

Offline x-fuse

• Dom's Desire
(No subject)
« Reply #25 on: Sat, Mar 11, 2006, 08:26 PM »
Hi, I'm looking for a beta for a few of my ongoing projects, someone who is strong in grammar since I'm not. I like some who can tell me when something stinks or doesn't work. Almost all the stuff I'm working on is R or NC-17. The rating is usually because of smut and/or violence. If anyone is interest they can let me know here or my e-mail (x_fuse@yahoo.ca) or my Yahoo IM (x_fuse).

Thanks X
« Last Edit: Wed, Dec 31, 1969, 04:00 PM by x-fuse »

"It's always fun to torment people...under the guise of being creative." - James Morrison

Offline Bitten

• Space Babe
  • Administrator
  • Supreme VXer
  • Huh?
Help!
« Reply #26 on: Thu, Apr 13, 2006, 08:01 AM »
I find that I am in need of an experienced beta reader. The story that I need help with is an original vampire fic, rated NC-17 for bondage. I am particularly having trouble with shifting the point of view between the two primary characters, as well as maintaining a consistent tense. In addition, I would like to discuss the overall structure of the story. I write slowly (because the Spy Chix take up all my time!) so I don't expect this project to be overwhelming for a beta.  If anyone is interested in helping, please send me a PM. Thanks!
« Last Edit: Wed, Dec 31, 1969, 04:00 PM by Bitten »

Offline KimeraD

• Dom's Desire
    • http://www.myspace.com/xzema87x
Help plz?
« Reply #27 on: Mon, May 29, 2006, 05:16 PM »
um is there anyone who can beta my fic for me? im really stuck and its driving me nuts. so if theres anytakers plz get back to me

~Z
« Last Edit: Wed, Dec 31, 1969, 04:00 PM by KimeraD »
The Bird of Hermes is my name...
Eating my Wings to make me tame...

Mads Mikkelsen Rocks My Danish Pastry world.

Offline Bitten

• Space Babe
  • Administrator
  • Supreme VXer
  • Huh?
(No subject)
« Reply #28 on: Mon, May 29, 2006, 08:50 PM »
There is a thread specifically for beta requests at the top of this forum. You might get more responses if you post there. :) I posted a request there a few weeks ago and I ended up with two very good beta readers. Good luck!

http://www.vindiesel.hu/forum/viewtopic.php?t=413&start=0
« Last Edit: Wed, Dec 31, 1969, 04:00 PM by Bitten »

Offline KimeraD

• Dom's Desire
    • http://www.myspace.com/xzema87x
Beta for hire? lol
« Reply #29 on: Mon, May 29, 2006, 09:43 PM »
um is there anyone who can beta my fic for me? im really stuck and its driving me nuts. I need on e fore my Riddick/OFC fic. It has a slight vampiric taste to it but i need help on the next chapter and further if i get snagged up again. I just want to make sure im flowing well with this fic and i've been so busy with making plans for summer, and courses for summer semester that i've just been running my self ragged. so if theres anytakers plz PM me.

~Z
« Last Edit: Wed, Dec 31, 1969, 04:00 PM by KimeraD »
The Bird of Hermes is my name...
Eating my Wings to make me tame...

Mads Mikkelsen Rocks My Danish Pastry world.