Author Topic: A guide to online credit netiquette  (Read 3779 times)

Offline Purple Frogger

• Supreme VXer
A guide to online credit netiquette
« on: Mon, Jul 04, 2005, 01:08 AM »
Dear board members and site visitors,

VinXperience is a flourishing community thanks to you fabulous people who are relentlessly on the hunt for Vin pics, news mentions and other fun stuff everyone can discuss. Without your commitment and participation, VX would diminish to being a terribly boring place. Keep up the good work and make this board a lively place where everyone has plenty to chitchat about.

There is however a word of caution needed at this point. When you post images, articles or whatever else, please make sure you credit the site where you found it by posting a link to the original source. Itís only fair, and most importantly, an absolute must, to give credit for any material taken from another place to VX.

In the web world, we prove to be true in the way of giving credit to the original source. The original source is the webpage that posted the given info first. If you post news from the various movie sites, you give us a link to the original website. As an example: Vin Diesel interview from DDD magazine (http://www.dddmagazine.com).

If you spot the news on another Vin fan page, the internet netiquette demands that you credit both the original source and the page you took the info from (http://www.vinfansite.com). Providing backlinks is essential as you can see even though it may appear petty-minded to some. Of course it happens that you forget to post a link, in this case one of the staffers will give you a gentle reminder.

Sometimes it happens that you find translations of foreign languages articles about Vin on other fan sites and would like to post them here. In this case, please be courteous and get in touch with the person who has translated it to ask if (s)he is okay with it - and then add a proper credit/return links when you post. And if you run it through Google to get a translation please note that as well to avoid any kind of misunderstandings.

The same goes for news etc. you find here on VX and would like to post on another site you visit - with the exception of solely site related materials like the Spy Chix, Virtual Pleasures etc. It is in general advisable to not post fanfics of fellow writers on other websites without their permission. For crediting VinXperience please always use the main site link: http://www.VinXperience.net.

Also, if you post images make sure to upload them either to your own webserver or a free hosting service like Photobucket. Post thumbnail images with an embedded link to the bigger images, or post the links only if you have many to share. For single images the maximum size is 450x600 pixels. The staff members will gladly assist you if you encounter troubles posting images.

When posting news on VX it is likely that they will be posted as a news item with the main site update. It goes without saying that you will be properly credited unless you prefer not to be mentioned; in this case please get in touch with an administrator or post a note in the thread.

Lastly, if you happen to find out that someone took your stuff without giving proper credit: talk to any staff member. We're only human, sometimes things slip our attention and we're not backtracking every bit of information to see if the credits are correct or which other boards the stuff's been posted on first. Bitching, venting and moaning elsewhere is highly immature and not at all helpful in solving the problem at hand - talking is the key.

Thank you very much for your co-operation!

Sincerely,
Your Staffers
« Last Edit: Mon, Jan 07, 2013, 05:38 PM by NorthernLights »
Mindy
Purple Frogger

Offline riddickulously obsessed

• Dom's Desire
    • http://www.anunexpectedlove.com
(No subject)
« Reply #1 on: Fri, Jul 15, 2005, 09:21 AM »
Read and acknowledged, thanks!

-Ro
« Last Edit: Wed, Dec 31, 1969, 04:00 PM by riddickulously obsessed »
"They say most of your brain shuts down during cryo-sleep. All but the primitive side, the animal side."

No wonder I'm still awake.

Offline Waimeawahine

• Xander's xXx
(No subject)
« Reply #2 on: Sun, Jul 17, 2005, 07:47 PM »
My respone is later, rather than the "now" requested, but:

Aye aye, mon Capitan!

:bow
« Last Edit: Wed, Dec 31, 1969, 04:00 PM by Waimeawahine »

Offline former board member

Thanks for the info!
« Reply #3 on: Wed, Jul 27, 2005, 09:55 AM »
Thanks Krizsta for the info!  I will respect all the site rules because this site ROCKS!  Thanks for the site...it means so much to be able to come here for everything about our main man, Vin.

Much love to you all,

Take Care, Debbie
« Last Edit: Wed, Dec 31, 1969, 04:00 PM by Anonymous »

Offline Tempered Storm

• VX's Val Gal
  • Supreme VXer
    • MySpace
    • Twitter
    • The Mundling Zone
(No subject)
« Reply #4 on: Sun, Mar 02, 2008, 03:58 PM »
Glad to see this info is still here,
« Last Edit: Wed, Dec 31, 1969, 04:00 PM by Tempered Storm »
Never underestimate the impact of your actions.
You may be one person in this world, but you could mean the world to one person.

Offline evilgrin

• Supreme VXer
  • Drinking whiskey in the Princess Bar
    • Facebook
    • Twitter
    • Hello Beautiful
(No subject)
« Reply #5 on: Sun, Mar 02, 2008, 06:20 PM »
yep, it's good info
hat tips, credit, links, all the good stuff :)
Elaine:)
« Last Edit: Wed, Dec 31, 1969, 04:00 PM by evilgrin »

my stories  |  Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Homepage
It was a rainy night in the big city. A hard rain. Hard enough to wash the scum off the streets. And I'm stuck in it without an umbrella. What a tool.

Offline windycitylady

• Supreme VXer
(No subject)
« Reply #6 on: Tue, Mar 04, 2008, 04:33 PM »
You may want to check my latest post in Entertain me (D&D creator dies). I believe I did everything correctly.
« Last Edit: Wed, Dec 31, 1969, 04:00 PM by windycitylady »

Offline evilgrin

• Supreme VXer
    • Facebook
    • Twitter
    • Hello Beautiful
(No subject)
« Reply #7 on: Tue, Mar 04, 2008, 04:39 PM »
you're missing a link to the original article :)

Elaine:)

It was a rainy night in the big city. A hard rain. Hard enough to wash the scum off the streets. And I'm stuck in it without an umbrella. What a tool.

Offline windycitylady

• Supreme VXer
(No subject)
« Reply #8 on: Tue, Mar 04, 2008, 04:52 PM »
THX EG!
« Last Edit: Tue, Mar 04, 2008, 04:54 PM by windycitylady »

Offline windycitylady

• Supreme VXer
(No subject)
« Reply #9 on: Tue, Mar 04, 2008, 04:54 PM »
Now corrected :)
« Last Edit: Wed, Dec 31, 1969, 04:00 PM by windycitylady »

Offline evilgrin

• Supreme VXer
    • Facebook
    • Twitter
    • Hello Beautiful
(No subject)
« Reply #10 on: Tue, Mar 04, 2008, 04:55 PM »
:kiss

Offline PandaPanda

• Rookie VXer
(No subject)
« Reply #11 on: Wed, Mar 05, 2008, 07:29 AM »
Read and acknowledged, thanks!

-Panda
« Last Edit: Wed, Dec 31, 1969, 04:00 PM by PandaPanda »

Offline morland

• Rookie VXer
Re: Credits, linkage: Read and acknowledge now!!!
« Reply #12 on: Tue, Jul 01, 2008, 12:30 PM »
ok....