Author Topic: This year's "bad sex in fiction" award  (Read 1210 times)

Offline Bitten

• Space Babe
  • Administrator
  • Supreme VXer
  • Huh?
This year's "bad sex in fiction" award
« on: Wed, Dec 04, 2013, 06:12 AM »
From NPR:

Manil Suri has won the Literary Review's annual for his novel The City of Devi. The award, whose distinguished honorees include Tom Wolfe and John Updike (the winner of a lifetime achievement award), was created to "draw attention to crude, badly written, or perfunctory use of passages of sexual description in contemporary novels and to discourage it." In the offending passage, Suri writes, "Surely supernovas explode that instant, somewhere, in some galaxy. The hut vanishes, and with it the sea and the sands only Karun's body, locked with mine, remains. We streak like superheroes past suns and solar systems, we dive through shoals of quarks and atomic nuclei. In celebration of our breakthrough fourth star, statisticians the world over rejoice." The award was presented by Joan Collins at a ceremony in London. Suri did not attend. Contacted for comment after the ceremony, he said he did not know that Collins would be presenting the award: "My one chance to meet Joan Collins, and I blew it!"

Offline NorthernLights

• Administrator
  • Supreme VXer
  • Packing up and moving out
Re: This year's "bad sex in fiction" award
« Reply #1 on: Wed, Dec 04, 2013, 09:39 AM »
 :ehrm

Almost makes me want to read the book to see if the rest of it is that bad.

Offline WilbertJude

Re: This year's "bad sex in fiction" award
« Reply #2 on: Sat, Feb 15, 2014, 03:27 AM »
From NPR:

Manil Suri has won the Literary Review's annual for his novel The City of Devi. The award, whose distinguished honorees include Tom Wolfe and John Updike (the winner of a lifetime achievement award), was created to "draw attention to crude, badly written, or perfunctory use of passages of sexual description in contemporary novels and to discourage it." In the offending passage, Suri writes, "Surely supernovas explode that instant, somewhere, in some galaxy. The hut vanishes, and with it the sea and the sands only Karun's body, locked with mine, remains. We streak like superheroes past suns and solar panels, we dive through shoals of quarks and atomic nuclei. In celebration of our breakthrough fourth star, statisticians the world over rejoice." The award was presented by Joan Collins at a ceremony in London. Suri did not attend. Contacted for comment after the ceremony, he said he did not know that Collins would be presenting the award: "My one chance to meet Joan Collins, and I blew it!"

It was really bad for sure.. I do know more such bad fictions and will share them out soon.
« Last Edit: Mon, Feb 17, 2014, 08:33 AM by WilbertJude »