Author Topic: Fanfic in the publishing world - (Masters of the Universe vs 50 Shades of Grey)  (Read 34715 times)

Offline Cyren

• Emeritus Mod
  • Supreme VXer
I get what you are saying about the books making money. And I know I'm hopelessly old fashioned but its sad when integrity and talent is pushed aside for financial gain.

Perhaps this explains why I'm terrible at monopoly...

HarborA SpyChix Story
Hatari A SpyChix Story
Scar Tissue Taylor
Beauty From Ashes Sean

Offline eratatosk

• Supreme VXer
Cyren, I feel you.  I suspect, though I don't know, publishing is like so many -- all? -- professions.  We tell ourselves we're doing something great and noble because we really want it to be true.  And sometimes it is.  But, as Tony Soprano said, we all gotta eat too.  I think the fact 50 Shades of Grey exists and is a smash hit is hilarious.  I suspect it's about eating, not upholding the highest values of the publishing profession.  (While I find the fact Twilight exists and is a smash hit disappointing, but that's because it puts a thumb in the eye of the progressive values I hold).     

"I do not understand why everything in this script must inevitably explode."

Offline AM Gray

• Supreme VXer
    • Twitter
    • AM Gray's blog: Gray Matters
I am just horrified that this book is being credited with spicing up marriages and boring sex lives... gah - there is sooooo much better written erotica out there.
She could have delayed publication and edited it properly, but chose to ride the popular wave and earn the big bucks... or to eat, as you say Eratatosk

Offline noise_chick

• Dom's Desire
    • Facebook
    • http://noise-chick.livejournal.com/
One of my favorite youtube channels Barely Political/Key of Awesome posted this and had me rolling:

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/y3qZLrC7Ot4" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/y3qZLrC7Ot4</a>

(thanks to the original artist)

Offline eratatosk

• Supreme VXer
Most of that was really funny.  Those actors deserve cookies for keeping such a straight face.  Normally I like liberalizing the metaphor, ala Buffy the Vampire Slayer and of course http://www.funnyordie.com/videos/f03d464867/total-eclipse-of-the-heart-literal-video-version-original.  The penis jousting was nice.  But the ending . .. to on the nose or something

Offline AM Gray

• Supreme VXer
    • Twitter
    • AM Gray's blog: Gray Matters
A friend pointed me towards this article.
http://crushable.com/entertainment/50-shades-of-malfoy-el-james-snowqueens-icedragon-759/?awesm=b5m.cc_cPUR&utm_campaign&utm_medium=b5m.cc-twitter&utm_source=t.co&utm_content=api
Someone has done a find&replace on 50 shades and made it a Draco/ Hermione HP fic.
http://www.fanfiction.net/s/7915393/1/50_Shades_Of_Malfoy

Orginally I thought they just didn't know. But really it is cleverer than that. They posted it on April fool's day. So is it a clever comment on fanfics, plagiarism and ownership of worlds?
At any rate, the thing that pushes into the glorious category is that one of the reviews is from a user called 'Snowqueens Icedragon'. For those who don't know, this is ELJames fanfic username. She removed all of her fics from Ff.n. Her comment reads: "This is my story that you are plagiarising. Please remove it."
I wonder that the woman has no sense of irony or clearly, much of a sense of humour. Twi fanfic exists because Stephenie Meyer allows it.  Also she just made a seven figure deal for the book rights, and the same for the movie rights, and she has to reply personally?
Although it would just be too ironic if she added 50shades to the 'no' list for fanfic, now wouldn't it?

Offline eratatosk

• Supreme VXer
that's hilarious. 

Offline noise_chick

• Dom's Desire
    • Facebook
That IS crazy.
But then, the evil little devil's advocate in my brain pops up and says "So what would any one of us do if, say, Chris Morgan or David Twohy emailed you, said he wanted to use your fanfic for his next movie?"   :evil

(yes, I know e.l. james had worked in tv before, blah blah blah... ) this is mary sue silliness... but... would  you pull your fanfics or ... only if said director insisted it be super-secrit for production proprietary property stuff?

Offline eratatosk

• Supreme VXer
Heh.  Well, speaking as someone who has exchanged email with David Twohy, and knows lots of IP lawyers, I'd be delighted.  I'm sure we could work something equitable out. 

Offline Bitten

• Space Babe
  • Administrator
  • Supreme VXer
  • Huh?
I think a fanfic writer would be crazy to not accept an offer to publish her work, or to say 'no' to a director who wanted to use a fanfic plot in the next real movie. I would hope that the fanfic author would be upfront and honest about the inspiration for her writing, and I would hope that the author would not be a hypocritical ass about some other fanfic author using her work in the very same way. But then, I haven't faced this situation myself, so who knows what I would do?

I saw in one of the other forums that one of our members is a fan of 50 Shades. I hope she doesn't feel uncomfortable posting her opinions in this thread. Please speak up! Tell us what you think of the story, as well as the unique situation surrounding it. We won't be mean to you - differing opinions are welcome. :)

Offline noise_chick

• Dom's Desire
    • Facebook

I saw in one of the other forums that one of our members is a fan of 50 Shades. I hope she doesn't feel uncomfortable posting her opinions in this thread. Please speak up! Tell us what you think of the story, as well as the unique situation surrounding it. We won't be mean to you - differing opinions are welcome. :)

I'll second that. I started this thread more because I was curious about the leap from fanfic to published work - and how it affected those of us that write it.  And even if the style and subject matter are not to my personal tastes, I'll admit I'm jealous that someone can make a buck on it like she did.  (And anyone who has read my Riddick meta knows I'm sarcastic and poke fun at cliches, but my goal is not to insult people with different interests than me.)

Offline eratatosk

• Supreme VXer
Noise_chick, have you checked out Gail Simone?  she did a very public jump from fan fic to mass market publishing.  The woman who wrote Persephone and Hades has several books published.  I suspect it's always been pretty common.  Just the artificial wall of silence that got dropped after "The Bradley Incident," where a fan sued Marion Zimmer Bradley for "stealing" her fan fiction idea, has hushed it up for most of our lifetime.  The Aeneid is, at least in part, Homer fan fiction.  It's all a rich tapestry.   

Offline noise_chick

• Dom's Desire
    • Facebook
I've often wonder who wrote "Persephone and Hades." Never did a real search on who she was, other than a 'published author."

------

I was reading Dan Savage today - who, if you don't know who he is (although I find it hard to believe, especially now that he's got a show on MTV - "Savage U.") is a sex columnist who got his start 20-some years ago in "The Onion"- which was born in MY hometown of Madison, WI.   (I highly recommend it to everyone .)

ANYWAY, two of his three questions deal with "Shades of Grey." The first,  is very :wall if it's TRUE, because, wow... someone needs an editor:

I'm stumped, Dan. In the novel Fifty Shades of Grey, which has been the subject of much discussion due to its controversial subject matter (a young woman gets involved in a BDSM relationship), the term "canning" is used numerous times. Despite my best efforts, I cannot find a definition for this practice. Who else can I turn to but you?

Confused And Naive, New Era Definition

It's not canning ("a method of preserving food in which the food contents are processed and sealed in an airtight container"), it's caning ("a form of corporal punishment consisting of a number of hits with a single cane usually made of rattan").

I don't know if the author of Fifty Shades of Grey dropped that extra "n" in there, CANNED, or if you did. But here's hoping that millions of women all over the world aren't fantasizing about having themselves canned by kinky billionaires. A person can survive—a person can even enjoy—a good thrashing. But being sealed in an airtight container? Not so much.

Full disclosure: I may be the only sex writer on earth who has yet to read Fifty Shades of Grey. While I plan to avoid reading Grey, just as I've avoided watching "2 Girls, 1 Cup" (and for similar reasons, i.e., I'm easily nauseated), I think it's wonderful that this book is inspiring a whole new generation of American women to get their kink on.

[/b][/u]
(my emphasis on the last sentence.)

I'm a 43-year-old woman, married for 19 years, and I need your help! Like most middle-aged moms, I read Fifty Shades of Grey. I understand that it is fiction. But it has motivated me to spice things up in the bedroom. The problem is that my husband is a dud. He's not open to trying anything that isn't missionary or doggy. That's the extent of it. I feel as if I've tried everything. He's happy with the way things are. Period. What do I do?

Woman Has Interesting Perversions

Here's what you do: Get in a time machine and go warn your younger self not to make the same mistake that so many women make in their 20s. That is, dumping guys with relatively harmless, easily indulged kinks—the foot fetishists, the guys who wear panties, the guys who want their girlfriends to wear superhero costumes while they peg their ass—because kinky guys are "weird," "not normal," or "probably gay."

Backing way the hell up for a moment: I've been writing about sex and relationships, men and women, kinky sex and vanilla sex for 20 years. It is my informed opinion that men typically become aware of their kinks—they typically become hyperaware of them—when they're teenagers. Many women, on the other hand, don't seem to become aware of their kinks until they're in their 30s or 40s. Maybe it has something to do with the sexual peak, which men are believed to hit in their teens and women in their 30s (and which many people believe to be bullshit), or maybe it simply takes women longer to overcome the misogynist slut-shaming that they're subjected to as girls and to openly embrace their sexualities and sexual interests.

Whatever the cause, I've seen it happen again and again: A woman tosses aside a series of decent but somewhat kinky guys until she finds a guy whose sexual interests are "normal," e.g., missionary, doggy, and no-hands-on-the-back-of-the-head oral. And that's the guy she marries. Then, 10 or 20 years later, she develops some "weird," "not normal," "probably gay" sexual interests of her own. Now she wants to spice things up, but—fuckadoodledoo—20 years ago, she dumped a nice kinkster and married a total sexual dud instead.

So here's what you do: Get in a time machine and go tell your twentysomething self not to dump someone because he's kinky, WHIP, because one day you're going to come into your own kinks. And when that day comes, you'll want to be able to say something like this to your husband: "So, hey, you know how I've been jerking you off with my feet/letting you wear my panties/dressing up like Aquagirl and fucking your ass for the last 19 years? It's been a lot of fun, honey, and you know I love you and you know I love your kinks. But it's payback time. I just finished reading this book, and it really turned me on and now I wanna get canned and you're going to can me."

If you don't have access to a time machine, WHIP, tell your husband that while he may be happy with the way things are, you're not. Which means things have to change.

http://www.thestranger.com/seattle/SavageLove?oid=13670298

Offline eratatosk

• Supreme VXer
Oh, I know Dan Savage.  Our circles have overlapped for (gulp) 20 years.  Not always happily.  He writes for a local paper a lot of friends of mine write for.  He's mellowed a lot, but back in the day, he had a real hate on for bisexuals.  My people. 

More importantly: Fifty Shades of Grey, as read by Gilbert Gottfried.  OMFG. 

http://www.laughspin.com/2012/05/16/watch-gilbert-gottfried-voice-the-50-shades-of-grey-audiobook/

Offline noise_chick

• Dom's Desire
    • Facebook
oh I hear you eratatosk,  I have friends who are trans/intersex, so no, he is not the end-all/be all, but LOADS better than, say, dear Abby or whatever... at least he ATTEMPTS to bring authorities to the table if he (admits he) ain't an expert...
And yes, I kinda drew the line at "taste" and our dear fellow forum member for that Godfreid link... I saw it today, listened to 2/3, kinda got the same wided-eyed look of the 'listeners' and though "no, this is NOT hot" and decided not to post it.
:P

Offline Bitten

• Space Babe
  • Administrator
  • Supreme VXer
  • Huh?
now I wanna get canned and you're going to can me."

:lolmao

Offline eratatosk

• Supreme VXer

Offline PukBak

• Xander's xXx
    • Facebook
    • Twitter
    • BakBlog
I haven't read the damn thing, but please tell me she's not written canned instead of caned?
If you are within one mile of Vin Diesel and you drop your toast, it will always land butter side up. Always.

Offline Montgomery Burns 13

• Villain
  • Global Moderator
  • Supreme VXer
  • Every hero needs a formidable villain
I just stumbled upon this:

50 Shades of Grey Karaoke
using actual words from the novel. :giggle

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/Imsm9TyI6t0" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/Imsm9TyI6t0</a>

Offline ban sidhe

• Supreme VXer
  • one day at a time
    • Facebook
 :shock  OMG!  that was hysterical!

Offline PukBak

• Xander's xXx
    • Facebook
    • Twitter
    • BakBlog
Oh goodness....
If you are within one mile of Vin Diesel and you drop your toast, it will always land butter side up. Always.

Offline eratatosk

• Supreme VXer

• Villain
  • Global Moderator
  • Supreme VXer
Thanks for the link, eratatosk.  I spent several hours reading amberance's detailed review and I must say, it is awesome!  Informative, funny as hell, and she echoes my sentiments exactly.

BTW, in her profile it says:
Favorite Books: Anything that isn't 50 Shades of Grey. ANYTHING AT ALL.

:giggle

Offline eratatosk

• Supreme VXer
Monty -- that's AWESOME.  I don't think it said that when I checked it several weeks ago, when she started on all this.  Sometimes, books change us!

Offline PukBak

• Xander's xXx
    • Facebook
    • Twitter
    • BakBlog
Oh I'm SO gonna read when I'm back home!

Offline NorthernLights

• Administrator
  • Supreme VXer
  • Packing up and moving out
I still can't bring myself to read this book (and I use that term loosely).  Friends keep trying to give me their copies and encourage me to read it.  Won't happen.  Ever.

:hide

Offline eratatosk

• Supreme VXer
I still can't bring myself to read this book (and I use that term loosely).  Friends keep trying to give me their copies and encourage me to read it.  Won't happen.  Ever.

:hide

Heh. Yeah. Well, ain't no one givin' me copies, what with my sniggering, but I feel you.
« Last Edit: Thu, Jul 12, 2012, 08:02 PM by eratatosk »

Offline NorthernLights

• Administrator
  • Supreme VXer
  • Packing up and moving out

Offline eratatosk

• Supreme VXer

• Villain
  • Global Moderator
  • Supreme VXer
As is this: http://bizzybiz.blogspot.co.uk/2012/06/50-heaves-of-puke.html?m=1

Amberance has started reviewing book #2, Fifty Shades of Darker so that you don't have to read it.

You can find her review here:

http://bizzybiz.blogspot.co.uk/2012/07/50-screams-louder.html?m=1 :giggle