Author Topic: Write a Resume for Your Character  (Read 2375 times)

Offline evilgrin

• Supreme VXer
  • Drinking whiskey in the Princess Bar
    • Facebook
    • Twitter
    • Hello Beautiful
Write a Resume for Your Character
« on: Tue, Feb 03, 2009, 03:55 PM »
This is a really cool idea!

http://www.blairhurley.com/2009/02/writ ... acter.html

Write a Resume for Your Character

When you're writing a new story, it's important to get to know your character in a variety of different ways. I've spoken before about dressing your character and asking yourself about his secret dreams, wishes, hopes and fears, but it's also important to get to know about your character's professional life.

Whether we like it or not, our modern lives are frequently dominated by economics. Socioeconomic class is one of the most divisive and concrete realities of life, no matter what country you live in, and it means that our careers or what we hope to accomplish in our careers is a crucial element of our identities.

So this week, try writing up a bit of an informal resume for your character. Pretend he or she is applying for a job; bring out their past work experience, and how they hope to advance. Is he a businessperson, an artisan, an executive, an artist? A salesman hoping to move up in the world, or a lawyer sick of his current line of work? Make up a career history, a c.v. of sorts for your character, and you'll end up learning a great deal about him or her. While not all of this will end up in the story, a lot of it could; economic woes, especially these days, are ripe fodder for conflict and engaging storytelling. [/list]

my stories  |  Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Homepage
    It was a rainy night in the big city. A hard rain. Hard enough to wash the scum off the streets. And I'm stuck in it without an umbrella. What a tool.

Offline Bitten

• Space Babe
    • Administrator
    • Supreme VXer
    • Huh?
    Re: Write a Resume for Your Character
    « Reply #1 on: Fri, Feb 27, 2009, 12:39 PM »
    I think this is an outstanding idea! The more ways to get into your character's head, the better the story will be. I'm not sure how to write a resume for my SC character, but it would be a nice thing for my other stories.

Offline evilgrin

• Supreme VXer
    • Drinking whiskey in the Princess Bar
      • Facebook
      • Twitter
      • Hello Beautiful
    Re: Write a Resume for Your Character
    « Reply #2 on: Fri, Feb 27, 2009, 05:20 PM »
    our Bios are a sort of a resume, I think, and yes, it's a wonderful way to really flesh out the character so that they become more real for you
    Elaine:)

my stories  |  Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Homepage
    It was a rainy night in the big city. A hard rain. Hard enough to wash the scum off the streets. And I'm stuck in it without an umbrella. What a tool.