Author Topic: 9 Tips to Overcome a Writers Block  (Read 1593 times)

Offline evilgrin

• Supreme VXer
  • Drinking whiskey in the Princess Bar
    • Facebook
    • Twitter
    • Hello Beautiful
9 Tips to Overcome a Writers Block
« on: Thu, Aug 21, 2008, 09:43 PM »
E ~ This is mostly centered on blogging, but writer's block is writer's block, no matter who we are, right?

http://www.divitodesign.com/2008/08/9-t ... ers-block/
9 Tips to Overcome a Writers Block
Author: Stefan Vervoort | Published: 21 August 2008

Did you ever have that? That feeling you want and need to write an article, but you simply canít find the energy, inspiration or subject for that post.

Itís very irritating to you and your readers, because they think you donít want or canít find the time to write an article, but you have the time! You want to write that great article, but you simply canít find the inspiration to write that killer article.

Could you prepare for this problem? Or is there any solution available to get your groove back? There is not one solution, because people are reacting different to things, so here are a couple tips I have thought of that could help you.

1. Take enough rest - When you sleep well and you can concentrate on the work you have to do, you are less likely to get that writers block. With enough rest, you can focus on the job.

2. Writing schedules - Writing schedules might keep you out of trouble, because you are used to the time you have to write. Youíve built a writing discipline.

3. Take some time of - It isnít very good to do another project right after youíve finished something. You have to take some time of and switch your mind from focussed to relaxed.

4. Writing is a job - Many people (including me) love to write. Itís their passion and they donít see it like work. But you should because if you see writing as work, articles are things you have to do as part of the job-description and you will do it with more ease because it is a must.

5. More projects - Some people like to work on different projects at once. They can switch their focus and that prevent them from getting bored with the projects. As a result, they will enjoy their work more.

6. Easy things - In a project or blog you always have tasks to do that are more easy then others. When you feel like you get a writers block coming up, you could drop that 10 page thick article for a while and start writing something thatís more light and fresh.

7. Unplug your internet - Disconnecting from the internet might help you to concentrate on the things you are doing. You canít get distracted by your interesting IM friends or by Emails and that helps you focus on things you have to finish.

8. Take a shower - I usually take a shower when I just find myself looking at a text I just canít finish without some inspiration. It just makes me and my head fresh and the inspiration comes back.

9. Write down posting ideas - When I am away from the computer, I usually know where to write about and I find the best subjects. But when I get behind that document those ideas are usually flying somewhere around my head and I canít seems to remember them. Write Ďem down in a Ďidea-postí, or in your mobile phone as a memo. You will find yourself a great subject if you look at your ideas later on.

The conclusion

After those tips, we should never have to have a writers block again. But you all know how difficult it is to write quality articles all the time. These tips work for some people, but not everyone could benefit from everything what I have written down today. I hope a couple of you do though.

You should remember that we all have to struggle with this problem sooner of later and we will always get over it! It is a matter of time.

Just keep writing.

my stories  |  Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Homepage
It was a rainy night in the big city. A hard rain. Hard enough to wash the scum off the streets. And I'm stuck in it without an umbrella. What a tool.

Offline Bitten

• Space Babe
  • Administrator
  • Supreme VXer
  • Huh?
Re: 9 Tips to Overcome a Writers Block
« Reply #1 on: Fri, Aug 22, 2008, 09:24 AM »
Those are nice tips. I particularly like the shower idea, because I often get ideas in the shower (or when I'm getting a massage).

Another thing that often helps me is to write from a different POV. For example, if I'm having trouble writing a scene from Aurora's point of view, I will switch to Ares and write his POV. Sometimes that helps.

I also find that looking at random photos or art will sometimes help. I don't take the images literally, but maybe a color or shape will suggest something that will bring a unique perspective to my chapter.

Thanks for posting this eg!! :)

Offline evilgrin

• Supreme VXer
    • Facebook
    • Twitter
    • Hello Beautiful
« Reply #2 on: Fri, Aug 22, 2008, 11:04 AM »
I'll go for a short walk or a cup of coffee, get out, get some fresh air, anything that makes me stop thinking about what I'm writing....so that I can get back to thinking about what I'm writing.

Just keep writing.

I especially liked that. It seems simplistic but it's true. As long as you're writing, the what doesn't matter so much as the thing itself. I'll write anything, it doesn't matter what it is. Get stuck writing something of my own? I'll write a sort of mini-review, in the form of feedback, for someone else, and that not only keeps me actually writing, but keeps me thinking about stories, even if they aren't my own.

Elaine:)

It was a rainy night in the big city. A hard rain. Hard enough to wash the scum off the streets. And I'm stuck in it without an umbrella. What a tool.

Offline ayabie

• Dom's Desire
  • Psychos say the darnedest things!
« Reply #3 on: Fri, Aug 22, 2008, 06:10 PM »
*sneaks in and adds to the list of ways to overcome Writer's Block.* #10 - In case the block is brought about because of pure laziness ... try really hard to get somebody else to ghostwrite for you.

*runs and hides!*
"Everything I know about insatiable human perversion I've learned from Asian cinema."

Everything I'm about to tell you is a joke. Don't take it seriously.

Offline evilgrin

• Supreme VXer
    • Facebook
    • Twitter
    • Hello Beautiful
« Reply #4 on: Fri, Aug 22, 2008, 06:18 PM »
11. A large supply of duct tape and feedsters not afraid to use it

get crackin' Ayabie!

Offline ayabie

• Dom's Desire
« Reply #5 on: Fri, Aug 22, 2008, 06:32 PM »
But-but-but! I be just tryin' to help out the lazy amongst us! :D
"Everything I know about insatiable human perversion I've learned from Asian cinema."

Offline evilgrin

• Supreme VXer
    • Facebook
    • Twitter
    • Hello Beautiful
« Reply #6 on: Fri, Aug 22, 2008, 06:51 PM »
aha! so you're offering to ghost write for us!
hey, everyone! Evil is tackled to the ground by Ayabie...

Offline ayabie

• Dom's Desire
« Reply #7 on: Fri, Aug 22, 2008, 07:14 PM »
O.O!!!