Author Topic: Archive???  (Read 1495 times)

Offline Hrefna

• Supreme VXer
    • http://www.deeplykidding.deviantart.com
Archive???
« on: Mon, Apr 07, 2008, 11:21 AM »
What does "archive" mean in the realm of fan fiction?  I'm not sure if I should say "yes" or "no" in my story header.

Thanks!
« Last Edit: Wed, Dec 31, 1969, 04:00 PM by Hrefna »
[please leave this space blank]

Offline evilgrin

• Supreme VXer
  • Drinking whiskey in the Princess Bar
    • Facebook
    • Twitter
    • Hello Beautiful
(No subject)
« Reply #1 on: Mon, Apr 07, 2008, 11:29 AM »
archive refers to whether and or where your stuff can be stored.
if you say "yes" you're allowing people to save stuff on their computers. (And probably a lot worse, although it's frowned upon.)
I like to list where it can be archived (VX, FDB), meaning that it can only be archived here and at my personal blog, nowhere else, period.
stating "no" would mean that people are not allowed to archive it at all. That you've posted it on VX yourself would mean that yes, VX can archive it obviously.
Stating that you don't want it archived doesn't mean people won't save it but it does give you something to fall back on if you wish to make a complaint
Elaine:)
« Last Edit: Wed, Dec 31, 1969, 04:00 PM by evilgrin »

my stories  |  Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Homepage
It was a rainy night in the big city. A hard rain. Hard enough to wash the scum off the streets. And I'm stuck in it without an umbrella. What a tool.

Offline Hrefna

• Supreme VXer
    • http://www.deeplykidding.deviantart.com
(No subject)
« Reply #2 on: Mon, Apr 07, 2008, 11:45 AM »
Ok - thanks Elaine!  I knew you'd answer quickly!
« Last Edit: Wed, Dec 31, 1969, 04:00 PM by Hrefna »
[please leave this space blank]

Offline evilgrin

• Supreme VXer
  • Drinking whiskey in the Princess Bar
    • Facebook
    • Twitter
    • Hello Beautiful
Re: Archive???
« Reply #3 on: Sun, May 11, 2008, 10:23 AM »
The fanfic rules have been slightly amended, to offer more information on the "Archive" (and "Discaimer") portions of the header.
Elaine:)

http://www.vindiesel.hu/fanfics/rules.htm
Author: (You may include your email address if that's where you would like readers to send their feedback.)
Title:
Rating: (Scroll down to see more about rating fics.)
Fandom: (For example: Pitch Black, TFATF, other.)
Disclaimer: Acknowledge the movie or fandom and its creators, as well as any source material or other influences on your work; using settings or characters from someone else's fanfic is acceptable only if you get their permission first.
Summary: (You must provide a short summary to introduce potential readers to the story. In addition, you may also post a short summary at the beginning of each chapter to refresh your readers' memories.)
Pairing: (For example: Riddick/Carolyn, Dom/OFC. This helps the shippers find their favorites fast, and avoid pairings they do not like.)
Archive:Do you mind if other people copy your story onto their personal computers, or upload them to other fanfic sites or message boards? Or would you prefer for your story to be posted only at VX? State your specifications clearly in the Archive line. For instance, you might say "This story is to be posted only on VX and my own personal blog," or "Do not archive this story," or "Please ask my permission before archiving this story." These specifications won't stop people from stealing your work, but many people will adhere to your wishes.
Feedback:You may choose one of these options: Encouragement only; Constructive criticism through PM only; or Post constructive criticism directly in my story. If you have some other preference for receiving feedback, please be specific about your wishes.
Author's Notes: This field is optional. You may use this area to include any special requests or additional information you would like to provide for your readers. This would be a good place to let readers know if you prefer no "chit chat" in your story thread, or if you plan to portray the characters differently than the way they were presented in the movie.

my stories  |  Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Homepage
It was a rainy night in the big city. A hard rain. Hard enough to wash the scum off the streets. And I'm stuck in it without an umbrella. What a tool.