Author Topic: Writer's Block- writing isn't fun anymore!  (Read 989 times)

Offline KittyHLuvsU

• Dom's Desire
  • Loyalty . Love && Passion
Writer's Block- writing isn't fun anymore!
« on: Fri, Jan 31, 2014, 05:40 AM »
Something I realized the other day was, writing isn't fun for me anymore.  :-\

I've realized that I've started stressing too much over grammar and punctuation. Instead of just writing, i'll stress out over one sentence, and completely give up one the chapter until another time. Only to do the same exact thing later on. This has been going on for so long that I don't even know where I want to take my stories anymore. Even if I get an idea, I'll literally obsess over how the chapter should start off, and whether i'm creating enough imagery, and then I'm wondering if the sentence sound proper enough... Writing has become a chore!

I've been trying to figure out how to get passed this, and I read a couple articles in the Writing Tips section that I think will help. We'll see... I think i'm going to try a couple writing challenges to jump start me again. I miss writing, I just need to learn to stop obsessing over it so much I guess.
« Last Edit: Fri, Jan 31, 2014, 05:42 AM by KittyHLuvsU »

Offline NorthernLights

• Administrator
  • Supreme VXer
  • Packing up and moving out
Re: Writer's Block- writing isn't fun anymore!
« Reply #1 on: Fri, Jan 31, 2014, 06:14 AM »
I'm sure most of us can relate to that.
Sometimes you just have to say to hell with spelling and grammar and just get those words on paper.
Why not take a look at the Picture This gallery.
Maybe you'll find something that will spark a quick story.
Good luck!
:)

Offline Bitten

• Space Babe
  • Administrator
  • Supreme VXer
  • Huh?
« Reply #2 on: Fri, Jan 31, 2014, 07:53 AM »
Good luck. :)

Offline Tiberius

• Supreme VXer
« Reply #3 on: Fri, Jan 31, 2014, 10:57 AM »
I can relate to that problem ...

Try to put thoughts about grammar, punctuation and writing techniques/methods and such aside.
Maybe write down a draft of your chapter without worrying about sentence structure, complete sentences, grammar and punctuation. Only when the draft is complete go over it again and edit it for posting.

There ain't such thing as a perfect sentence or chapter. So it's useless to try to achieve such.

Offline Mindy

• Supreme VXer
« Reply #4 on: Fri, Jan 31, 2014, 02:50 PM »
I've begun to get furstrated myself.  Also I been worried about if my OC is mary sueish.  I wasn't aware of the term til I got involved with other writers and had plenty of good contructive criticism

Offline Jack

• Emeritus Mod
  • Supreme VXer
  • Escaping from a pirate infested island...
« Reply #5 on: Sat, Feb 01, 2014, 09:21 AM »
Character development can be the most fun and also the most difficult part of writing a story. The thing I've found is you have to trust yourself with him/her. If you force your characters to do or say certain things to make them seem one way or another, you'll lose them. I wouldn't worry about how they seem to others and just let them form in your mind. They will take on a life of their own.

I usually come up with a basic personality outline first and then cast the character with an actress/actor and that helps me visualize how they would react to the situations as well as dialogue that I create.

Hope this helps :)