Author Topic: Fanfic in the publishing world - (Masters of the Universe vs 50 Shades of Grey)  (Read 34304 times)

Offline PukBak

• Xander's xXx
    • Facebook
    • Twitter
    • BakBlog
*snork* You know, Ban... the Ripper murders stopped rather abruptly... perhaps a certain time traveling Furyan was irritated his favorite 'comfort women' were disappearing, or that the name 'Jack' was being disparaged.  :riddy
...nah.

Ahh funny!
If you are within one mile of Vin Diesel and you drop your toast, it will always land butter side up. Always.

Offline ban sidhe

• Supreme VXer
  • one day at a time
    • Facebook
exactly my point, noise_chick!  It would be just too funny, wouldn't it?

Offline AM Gray

• Supreme VXer
    • Twitter
    • AM Gray's blog: Gray Matters
Now they added a disclaimer (from galley cat http://www.mediabistro.com/galleycat/fifty-shades-of-grey-gets-fan-fiction-disclaimer_b49669)

Vintage Books has included a disclaimer in its edition of Fifty Shades of Grey by E L James, acknowledging the book’s origins as fan fiction. It states:
This is a work of fiction. Names, characters, places and incidents, either are the product of the author's imagination or are used fictitiously. Any resemblance to actual persons, living or dead, events or locales is entirely coincidental.

The author published an earlier serialized version of this story online with different characters as ‘Master of the Universe’ under the pseudonym Snowqueen Icedragon.

Now if I was Stephenie Meyer THAT would really make me angry. They have not admitted it was Twilight fanfiction. And of course, they don't resemble real people, they were copies of fictionalised people in the first place!

Offline eratatosk

• Supreme VXer
that disclaimer has always made me roll my eyes.  Of course characters resemble real people, living or dead.  Otherwise, we wouldn't care about them.  Most of us couldn't care about them.

People read and write fan fiction for a lot of reasons, but I think in large part it's the same unsatisfied desire that drew us to the particular universe in the first place.  I'm 10 years behind the original batch of hard core Star Trek fans; a huge number of which were women entering technical fields for the first time since Hypatia got lynched by an Alexandrian mob, and they empathized hard with Spock.  It wasn't a way station to writing their "own" stuff; it was a place to work out their issues in entering an incredibly empowering but alienating universe, and to have something to talk to other people living in a similar situation.  I bonded with a lot of my law school classmates over Buffy the Vampire Slayer; we wanted to be heroes in a world that didn't or wouldn't understand what we were doing, just like Buffy and her Scooby gang.  Riddick is a place for me to work out my unease with role morality without violating client confidences. 

I'm darkly suspicious about what people get out of Twilight.  At its best, I suspect  Meyers managed to put her thumb on some unsatisfied desire a lot of people have to be desired and desirable.  Not surprisingly someone drawn to that would be able to write a piece that picks it up. 

Heh.  I think I just figured out another reason why so much of Riddick fan fiction leaves me cold; I don't care about him desiring some chick I don't know.  That's what Twilight's for.  I care about him as a vehicle for my own issues; trying to prove to myself that I'm a good person by doing good in a world that, at least through my formative years, rejected me. 

"I do not understand why everything in this script must inevitably explode."

Offline noise_chick

• Dom's Desire
    • Facebook
    • http://noise-chick.livejournal.com/

I'm darkly suspicious about what people get out of Twilight.  At its best, I suspect  Meyers managed to put her thumb on some unsatisfied desire a lot of people have to be desired and desirable.  Not surprisingly someone drawn to that would be able to write a piece that picks it up. 

Lol- it's Mary Sue -ism. Self-fulfilling, author-as-thinly-disguised-perfect-OFC, wank.  This is the best response I've seen to explain it:

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/K4uuGvmAxTI?version=3&amp;amp;hl=en_US" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/K4uuGvmAxTI?version=3&amp;amp;hl=en_US</a>

Heh.  I think I just figured out another reason why so much of Riddick fan fiction leaves me cold; I don't care about him desiring some chick I don't know.  That's what Twilight's for.  I care about him as a vehicle for my own issues; trying to prove to myself that I'm a good person by doing good in a world that, at least through my formative years, rejected me. 

Interesting insight. :) For me, part of it is unresolved issues I saw, the need for completion or correction.  Or a curiosity to see how a character (extremely different from me) would deal with issues/conflict. Some of it is a twisted need to put characters in situations and force me to figure a way out.
... And my general obsession with gallows humor. Riddick is perfect for that. My inner daemon will often get caustic and brutal but I was raised a small-town minister's daughter - with expectations bordering on Victorian propriety. The Real World was a hella disappointment. I got bitter... and shiv-happy.  ;)

(thanks to the original artist)

Offline eratatosk

• Supreme VXer
I met the guy who draws The Oatmeal last week!  I'm not a huge fan, but I told him that I had sent  his "Pants" strip on Twilight, http://theoatmeal.com/story/twilight,  to everyone I had ever met, which is more or less true.  I think that animated thing is drawing on it, Noise_Chick!  Bought his book too.  He drew me a picture and gave me a sticker. 

Small-town minister's daughter, eh?  I gotta say, the real world was so much better than the one my parents raised me for.  I'm bitter about my childhood, but man being a grown up is comparatively sweet. 

Offline noise_chick

• Dom's Desire
    • Facebook
*snork* "I LUV YOU WEREPIG!!!

Eratatosk, if you want a real laugh, read "Growing Up Cullen." You will probably pee yourself laughing.
http://balcarin.livejournal.com/462027.html
(it is epic internet lolz on par with the Harry Potter "My Immortal." Though in a completely different way.)

Offline eratatosk

• Supreme VXer
cute!  unfortunately, I think the fact that I don't know who anyone but Edward and Bella are makes a lot of that a little mystifying.

My absolute favorite live journal deconstruction of Twilight remains http://stoney321.livejournal.com/317176.html.  That has just about made me wet myself several times. 

Offline NorthernLights

• Administrator
  • Supreme VXer
  • Packing up and moving out
50 Shades of Sell Out
by Laura Antoniou on Thursday, April 12, 2012 at 8:11pm ·

"Double Crap!" Tiffany extrapolated, as she realized her perfectly perky 37D breasts had gained another D overnight. "Now what will I wear to the company party! I must make a good impression on Mr. Momzer Macher, the new President and CEO and CFO and CBO and...oh, whatever he is!" Sighing with frustration, the gorgeous blonde gazed at her mirror image and fingered the honey gold waves of her naturally wavy hair. "I know! I will wear that daring leather bustier that my gay BFF talked me into buying at that strange street fair he took me to in San Francisco! Gee, I wonder if he worked things out with that hunk he met that day. He said he was into leather, but when I asked him where to find a good purse, he just laughed."

She blinked her cerulean eyes in her memory and then went to get her fetching outfit. It was tight in all the right places and really emphasized her 37-24-36 shape, and the leather felt so stiff and hot and sexy against her alabaster skin! And how it molded her perfect 110 pounds! "How will I ever get through the night without fainting?" she wondered as she strapped her tiny, delicate alabaster feet into her four inch heels, deciding not to take the really high ones. "Good thing I already threw up."

At the party, everyone was in their fanciest clothes and the music was awesome and loud and there was dancing and great food like chicken fingers and the little hot dogs in pastry and sushi and tapas and stuff. Tiffany said hi to all her girlfriends, except for Boring Brenda and kissed all the gay guys and was licking a cherry popsicle that had a fancy imported liquor in it when suddenly she saw...HIM.

Like. O. M. G. There he was, so freaking hot. In his leather pants from Dolce and Gabanna and his black silk shirt and really expensive black tie and black jacket and black diamond stick pin through the really expensive black tie and his ink black hair and jet black eyes and his big feet in big, black boots, oh, he was so into black.

"you're Tiffany," he murmured as he leaned in toward her, gracefully looking at her plunging cleavage, and her heaving alabaster breasts.

He was so tall! Even with her lithe 5'7" frame enhanced by those 4" heels, he was at least a foot taller! And his piercing black eyes pierced her to her very soul.

"I...I..." Tiffany stammered, letting her booze popsicle drip, drip, drip down her hand to splat, splat, splat on the floor. She bit her full, ruby red lips in luscious lasciviousness.

"I'm disgustingly rich and dominant," he sneered dominantly. "you will be Mine!"

"Oh, wow," Tiffany seized. "Um. Wow. OK. Sure. What does that mean, exactly?"

"I have a checklist!" he said triumphantly, while texting an URL to her. "Go to My Web Page and fill it out, and tell Me whether you like, dislike, or are neutral about the 300 activities and fetishes listed there, and whether you've done them before and with whom, and what you thought about it, and then rate them on a scale of 1-10 on whether you'd like to do it now, tomorrow, next week, or after the Mayan Apocalypse."

"Um," Tiffany coughed out, a delicate flush gathering on her porcelain features, her beautiful, full lips, her high, sculpted cheekbones, her delicately feathered eyebrows and her oh-so-cute upturned nose. "But I'm sure I haven't done anything on your list at all! Despite being an adult in 2012, working at your huge corporation and having been through some form of schooling, I am still completely virginal and know nothing at all about kinky sex! I am beautiful, though."

His anthracite eyes brightened under His heavy, midnight brows and He gazed at her with an acquisitional hunger, like a Guy who hasn't had anything to eat in days. And yet she could see some painful memory, some dark - dare she think black? - secret lurking behind those onyx eyes.

"Then you're really going to be Mine!" he thundered. "Because I Alone can teach you the gift of submission, give rise to your slave heart, grant to you the loving dominance of My Masterful Aggression, all tempered, of course, with rationality and with all due care and attention given to risk-aware negotiation! I will teach you to serve Me with your submissive soul, your passive power, your girly gushiness, train you to come at the snap of My Fingers and find true freedom in your complete subjugation to My Will. Yes...you will even learn...Bad Grammar."

"Triple crap!" Tiffany declaimed. "All that? But...how is that possible? It all sounds crazy! And yet...when I look into your charcoal eyes under that irrepressible lock of ebony hair, as I run my searching, trembling fingers across the steel buttons on your sable silk shirt, all I can think of is...Jesus Christ, I am so horny I can die. I think. But i don't really know, because of the virgin thing?"

Mr. Momzer Macher took her pale, shaking hand and led her gentle, undulating form away from the party into his private boardroom where the table could be set up like a bed and tumbled her back onto it.

"I will teach you, little one," he said with intrepid confidence in himself. "And you will be my prized little party girl possession for all time. Just like the last seventeen."

"Oh, quadruple crap!" she extremed, as he tore away her leather bustier with one hand and fell on her like a ravening wolf. A ravening black wolf.

To be continued...OK, not really.

For SM fiction of a different color, see lantoniou.com

http://facebook.com/laura.antoniou

Offline eratatosk

• Supreme VXer
ouch.

Offline Montgomery Burns 13

• Villain
  • Global Moderator
  • Supreme VXer
  • Every hero needs a formidable villain
 :river  :lolmao

[...] black tie and his ink black hair and jet black eyes and his big feet in big, black boots, oh, he was so into black.

[...] And yet she could see some painful memory, some dark - dare she think black?

Fucking hilarious!  And such a nice imitation of the writing style E.L. James used for her Fifty Shades trilogy.
Who needs love when you've got a gun, who needs love to have some fun. Black Flag
Feelings are overrated. Dean Winchester

my fanfics

Offline Bitten

• Space Babe
  • Administrator
  • Supreme VXer
  • Huh?
"Good thing I already threw up."

:lolmao

I don't know why I find that so funny...

Offline ban sidhe

• Supreme VXer
  • one day at a time
    • Facebook
am looking for a place to do that myself.... ewww!

It's funny, but kinda sad, too.

To think that not only do people write this trash, but others read it.

Offline eratatosk

• Supreme VXer
This article made me laugh and laugh.  I love NPR.

http://www.npr.org/2012/04/13/150582219/on-writing-a-bestseller-theres-a-formula-shhh

April 17, 2012
Like many people in the book world, I've found it impossible to ignore the phenomenon that is E.L. James' erotic novel Fifty Shades of Grey and its two sequels, which morphed from Twilight fan fiction to word-of-mouth blockbuster. The books aren't to my taste, to put it tactfully, but I keep reading article after article attempting to explain their appeal. Some of the most popular theories put forward so far: The escapist fantasy is catnip for exhausted working moms. It's a BDSM-flavored take on the Cinderella fantasy. It's a dirty book for people who don't ordinarily read dirty books (or read much at all).

Naturally, I have my own theory: James, like other 21st-century mega-sellers Stieg Larsson and Dan Brown, writes genre fiction that reaches far beyond genre readership, bursting open the doors to what the savvy may find old hat but newbies find intoxicating. But is it possible to find a more substantive explanation for James' breakout success by looking back at the previous century's biggest and fastest sellers?

In her excellent overview of American best-sellers, critic Ruth Franklin warned, "No possible generalization can be made regarding the 1,150 books that have appeared in the top 10 of the fiction best-seller list since its inception." But in his new book, Hit Lit, mystery writer James W. Hall makes a case that the biggest hits from the past hundred years share 12 features.

Almost every one of the best-sellers engaged with the hot-button social issue of its time — race (Gone with the Wind, To Kill a Mockingbird), sex (Valley of the Dolls) or politics (The Hunt for Red October) — expressing, in Hall's words, "some larger, deep-seated and unresolved conflict in the national consciousness." Again and again, the books feature fractured families and protagonists who are outsiders. "What's true for Scarlett [O'Hara] is also true for Allison MacKenzie and Jack Ryan and Mitch McDeere and Professor Robert Langdon," he writes. And the American Dream (or Dream Deferred or Dream Perverted) looms large as a motif; it is variously exalted or depicted as corrupt (Peyton Place), even nightmarish (The Dead Zone, Jaws). Secret societies abound (The Godfather, The Firm and, of course, The Da Vinci Code), which Hall interprets as speaking to the American "suspicion of institutions, public and private, that might in some way undermine our personal liberties."

Maggie Evans Silverstein/Courtesy Random House
James W. Hall is the Edgar Award-winning author of 17 novels.
How, then, does Hit Lit work from a predictive standpoint? Hall's tenet on religion's prominence certainly bears out with 2011's chart-topper Heaven Is for Real, pastor Todd Burpo's purportedly nonfiction account of his 4-year-old son who, during surgery, briefly entered heaven. The Millennium trilogy's Lisbeth Salander is a classic misfit. Twilight features a secret society par excellence. And Kathryn Stockett's The Help treads similar social justice and time period territory as To Kill a Mockingbird.

But the success of Fifty Shades of Grey might have caught Hall unawares. He writes, "it's harder to profitably press the hot button of sex because that button has just about been worn out from overuse." Wishful thinking perhaps: Remixing Twilight with a frisson of bondage, James reveals (again) that sex always has, and always will, sell.

Grace Metalious, author of Peyton Place, once cracked, "If I'm a lousy writer, then a hell of a lot of people have got lousy taste." What Metalious and her kin in best-sellerdom really possess, as Hall explains so well in Hit Lit, is the power to connect with readers through their hearts and guts as much as, if not more than, their minds.

Offline Bitten

• Space Babe
  • Administrator
  • Supreme VXer
  • Huh?
I was just coming to this thread to post the same article.  :D

Offline noise_chick

• Dom's Desire
    • Facebook
thank you.
Those last two paragraphs pretty much sum it up. And answer the WTF is wrong that ppl like BAD writing?!? question.
 :-*

Offline AM Gray

• Supreme VXer
    • Twitter
    • AM Gray's blog: Gray Matters
oh honestly???
Fifty Shades of Grey author E.L. James debuted on TIME magazine’s TIME 100 list this year, joining comedians turned writers and Steve Jobs’ biographer on the prestigious list.

http://www.mediabistro.com/galleycat/e-l-james-makes-time-100-list_b50290

Offline eratatosk

• Supreme VXer
generaly, something appearing on the best seller's list is a good sign I'm not gonna like it.  I know this because of my reading group. 

Onward! this an awesome review of 50 Shades of Grey that ran in our local alternative paper, written by a man I got to see interview Terry Pratchett.  Now that's a guy I'll read even if he is kicking out best sellers:

The number-one-selling fiction book in the United States right now is Fifty Shades of Grey, a debut erotica novel that started out as Twilight fan fiction. I want you read that first sentence again. Now I want you to read that first sentence one more time. Now think about that. Done? Okay. The story behind Fifty Shades of Grey is really quite remarkable: E.L. James (well, the author now known by the pseudonym E.L. James) watched the Twilight movies, became obsessed, read all the books, and then set about emulating Twilight author Stephenie Meyer. “I came up with a story and I wrote it,” James told Entertainment Weekly. “I read an interview with Stephenie [Meyer] where she said, ‘You’ve got to start at the beginning.’ So I did that.”
The thing is, James's writing reads like a bad photocopy of Meyer's writing. Meyer is a terrible writer, but James is worse, by a magnification of ten. Even the opening line of her novel—"I scowl with frustration at myself in the mirror"—has at least two too many words. She throws adjectives at us until they finally don't mean anything at all. Characters are clumsily described every time they walk onstage: "Holy crap. What the hell is he doing here, looking all outdoorsy with his tousled hair and in his cream chunky-knit sweater, jeans, and walking boots?" The narrator's interior life is vapid and painfully literal: "My inner goddess is spinning like a world-class ballerina, pirouette after pirouette," and (italics hers) "Oh, the many faces of Christian Grey. Will I ever be able to understand this mercurial man?"

What began as Twilight fan fiction has been stripped of any pretense of fantastic elements. Like Twilight's Bella Swan, the main character of Grey, Anastasia Steele, is a clumsy young woman who is unspecial in just about every way. But her love interest, the aforementioned mercurial Christian Grey, isn't a vampire. Instead, he's "merely" a young Seattle-based multi-millionaire. Instead of vampiric secrets, he hides a "Red Room of Pain" in his penthouse suite, in which he takes out his sadomasochistic fantasies on willing young women. (Much of the book is made up of deliberation over a legal S&M-play contract Grey makes his lovers sign. Fisting, watersports, scat play, and genital clamps are off the table.)

Steele, who is a virgin, falls hard for Grey. And he starts to fall for her, too. He demonstrates his adoration by stalking her around the country, buying her fancy new expensive things, and trying to remake her into his sex slave. The book doesn't really end, instead leading directly into the second book in the trilogy. You can tell that the author hasn't read very many books in her life, because she seems to have no idea what a novel is supposed to be, outside of Meyer's works—the structure, characterization, and even writerly tics (heavy overuse of the word "murmur," frequent references to mouths "quirking" into a smile) are all cribbed shamelessly from the Twilight books.

Look: I can tell you all day long about how poorly written these books are, but the thing about critiquing erotica is, you can't tell someone what is and isn't sexy. These books are selling everywhere because people find them to be sexy. I don't begrudge anyone their right to get off on whatever they want to get off on, but I do encourage them to find some better erotica when they're done with these books. Unless bad-writing fetishes are more widespread than I feared, people are falling into James's books because they don't know there's a wealth of erotica out there that's way better-written. I encourage anyone who's read and liked Fifty Shades of Grey to do a little digging at their local bookstore and find Anais Nin or Anne Rice or Henry Miller or Nicholson Baker or Catherine Millet or Terry Southern or Erica Jong. The thing I want everyone to know is: Sexy writing doesn't have to be terrible writing.

http://slog.thestranger.com/slog/archives/2012/04/18/so-i-read-fifty-shades-of-grey

Offline PukBak

• Xander's xXx
    • Facebook
    • Twitter
    • BakBlog
I haven't read 50, but after reading that review, I'm just imagining it to be as bad (or worse) than the baddest stories witten written by a 14 year old virgin here or on FF...

EDIT: sorry, just can't take my spelling errors. Hate posting here from computer and not smartphone.
I want app for computer that completes my writing like my phone does.
« Last Edit: Thu, Apr 19, 2012, 06:25 AM by PukBak »
If you are within one mile of Vin Diesel and you drop your toast, it will always land butter side up. Always.

Offline ban sidhe

• Supreme VXer
  • one day at a time
    • Facebook
Yeah, just the couple of sentences quoted were enough to make me queasy.

Offline Bitten

• Space Babe
  • Administrator
  • Supreme VXer
  • Huh?
Wow. Thanks for posting those articles.   I continue to be surprised by this whole situation.

Offline Cyren

• Emeritus Mod
  • Supreme VXer
saw the book on the shelves and was curious about the buzz but that means I'd have to spend money  to buy something that's probably going to irritate me. That ballerina pirouette thing...I'd probably set the book on fire.

HarborA SpyChix Story
Hatari A SpyChix Story
Scar Tissue Taylor
Beauty From Ashes Sean

Offline eratatosk

• Supreme VXer
saw the book on the shelves and was curious about the buzz but that means I'd have to spend money  to buy something that's probably going to irritate me. That ballerina pirouette thing...I'd probably set the book on fire.

heh.  I feel you.  I love my reading group, but some of the books -- oh man.  sentimental clap trap that would be improved by a good singeing.

Offline PukBak

• Xander's xXx
    • Facebook
    • Twitter
    • BakBlog
Okay, accidentally stumbled across Masters of the Universe and downloaded it. Have you seen how long it is? That's a lot of text to read when you know it isn't very good, but you just wanna find out how bad it really is, you know?
If I read that, I've pretty much read 50 Shades, right?

I can show you the way Cyren if you want to - actually I think I forgot where I clicked, but I can upload or email ;)

And have you seen Ellen Degeneres' video? Oh my I laughed! (link if you haven't: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=on3JCwnwHbU)

You know those effing books is often in one of our nationwide newspapers here in Denmark? It's giving me a really hard time explaining to people what fanfiction is about and why I read it...

• Villain
  • Global Moderator
  • Supreme VXer
Hehe, love the clip.  Thank you for posting the link, PukBak!

As for the quality of the 50 Shades trilogy: I'm not a critic, but I'd say the writing style is rather mediocre.  But obviously it appeals to the masses, because otherwise people wouldn't buy it.  I think, as long as a story meets somebody's taste, people'll read it.  It doesn't matter if it's well written or rather poorly.

IMO it's a typical fanfic, not better, but also not worse.  It contains lots of smut (and no, the smut is rather mainstream, opposed to what people might expect after all that talk of BDSM), and a typical "girl meets man of her dreams, he falls in love with her, they marry, have children, and live happily ever after" plot.  IMO pretty foreseeable and pretty boring.  But then again, I'm not exactly part of the target audience... :grin
Who needs love when you've got a gun, who needs love to have some fun. Black Flag

my fanfics

Offline noise_chick

• Dom's Desire
    • Facebook
It contains lots of smut (and no, the smut is rather mainstream, opposed to what people might expect after all that talk of BDSM), and a typical "girl meets man of her dreams, he falls in love with her, they marry, have children, and live happily ever after" plot.  IMO pretty foreseeable and pretty boring.  But then again, I'm not exactly part of the target audience... :grin

Heh, yeah, well, for those women who bought the Disney Dream (TM) I think this is a safe way for them to explore their sudden realization that "wait... there was another option?" It's crappy, unrealistic, but 'safe' - probably because it IS unrealistic. So that reaffirms their decisions in life, while having their titillating little escapist fantasy.
Those of us that are... for lack of a better word... jaded with this ... elementary school BDSM fantasy stuff  kinda roll our eyes and dismiss it - like when people think dressing up as "Goth" as a halloween costume is 'scary.' (because, well, as some of my friends remind me when I think BDSM is normal dinner-at-Perkins conversation- because that's the world I live in - but it's NOT mainstream, and I forget that.  They have to shush me sometimes when I start talking about spanking drag queens last night at the gay bar. :P
I forget that what I think is passe' is extreme to Middle America. Despite the fact I live there. *sigh*)

Offline PukBak

• Xander's xXx
    • Facebook
    • Twitter
    • BakBlog
Oh so much I want to quote here, but I'll make it short and we'll manage without (on my phone, quoting is hell).

You're welcome Monty. Thought I would share the fun :)

Wouldn't it have been swell if it had actually been a good book with good BDSM?
Then people could have gotten to know the best of the genre and wouldn't scrunch their nose when you tell them what you read.

NC: all though I'm not spanking draq queens at gay bars (it sounds like fun though ;) ) I totally know what you mean. Almost every lunch break at work I end up entertaining with funny stories about either mine or somebody else's sex life, just because it's what we talk about in "my circles" and my coworkers are SO not with me. They just go back to talking about soccer, handball and bicycling *rolls eyes and yawns*

Offline ban sidhe

• Supreme VXer
  • one day at a time
    • Facebook
omg, PB!  I would be asleep in seconds!  Dinner conversations in my house are usually what middle America would consider gross and disturbing, too.

Besides the sex stuff, (yes, we discuss those things), we also share funny work stories... since one daughter and I both work for MDs, and I used to work in
a hospital ER, it can get graphic.  And both of my girls and I are EMTs, so we see all kinds of weird stuff, not just the bloody accidents, but inside people's
homes... and you would not believe some of them!

As for the stuff people read, yeah those books are mediocre writing... but, then people buy and read porn 'books', too.   And those are really bad!

Offline Cyren

• Emeritus Mod
  • Supreme VXer
So had some time to kill before I went home and I was at the shopping centre and saw 50 shades...for one insane moment thought, maybe I've judged it unfairly. Picked it up...opened it and read the first couple of pages...and came to the following conclusions:

1) Bad enough that EL ripped off another book but she did it badly...
2)Which idiot at the publishing house thought that this would be a good book to publish.
3) What kind of stupid editorial staff would let a book like that get published give the terrible writing and the complete and utter lack of  talent. I mean...get a beta writer!
4) Something can be done to make the books better...burn the lot of them!

You know, JK Rowling submitted Harry Potter over and over again and kept getting rejected and only finally got picked from a bunch of manuscripts because she had a pretty clip on the manuscript. If she wanted to get published faster she should have just ripped off someone elses's work, added enough smut to appeal to the masses and voila!

After reading a couple of pages...I'd be ashamed to work at that publishing house.

And...I've read some incredible stories from the writers on this site...and if publishing houses can publish crap, then surely they can publish genuine talent.

If they recognised it.

HarborA SpyChix Story
Hatari A SpyChix Story
Scar Tissue Taylor
Beauty From Ashes Sean

• Villain
  • Global Moderator
  • Supreme VXer
Quote from: Cyren
1) Bad enough that EL ripped off another book but she did it badly...

I agree with you here - even though everything's been done before, and all writers/artists get their inspiration from something that's already there, so I wouldn't really call it a rip-off.

2)Which idiot at the publishing house thought that this would be a good book to publish.

Well, IMO the "idiot at the publishing house" was not an idiot, but a genius.  Those books are selling like crazy.  So by publishing the trilogy, he made tons of money for the publishing house.

3) What kind of stupid editorial staff would let a book like that get published give the terrible writing and the complete and utter lack of  talent. I mean...get a beta writer!

Beauty, or in this case talent or taste, is in the eye of the beholder.  Different stories appeal to different people.  It's the same with movies, paintings, and everything else.  Besides, I'm sure the stuff is betaed, because throughout the book grammar, punctuation, and spelling are correct. :grin

my fanfics