Author Topic: [Star Trek 2009] A Perfect Universe [NC-17] 12/?  (Read 993 times)

Offline Bitten

• Space Babe
  • Administrator
  • Supreme VXer
  • Huh?
Re: [Star Trek 2009] A Perfect Universe [NC-17] 6/?
« Reply #30 on: Fri, Feb 19, 2010, 08:55 AM »
Thanks for reading and commenting. I just hope you're not too disappointed with the next update...  :evil  :D

Offline Furyan Goddess

• Supreme VXer
  • "There will be no shots" ~ Johns
    • http://www.fanfiction.net/u/818825/
« Reply #31 on: Fri, Feb 19, 2010, 01:26 PM »
Soon, I'm gonna finish reading tonight, love. This cold has screwed me hardcore and NOT in a good way.  Meds are working fast, so that helps.  Also, damn Buffy and her heartbreak over Angel has me enthralled LOL> 

Thanks to Sil for siggie!

Offline Bitten

• Space Babe
  • Administrator
  • Supreme VXer
  • Huh?
Re: [Star Trek 2009] A Perfect Universe [NC-17] 7/?
« Reply #32 on: Tue, Mar 09, 2010, 06:07 PM »
Chapter 7

Thanks to Janine, Princess Silence and Pamela for the beta. You guys are the best!

Lea had just finished unpacking her last container of clothing when her personal communicator beeped.

"Miss Archer, Admiral Archer is waiting to speak with you. Would you like me to patch him through to your computer terminal?"

Lea quickly glanced around her small room, seeing that the computer was only partially buried under piles of folded clothes, then replied, "yes, please."

A moment later, Admiral Jonathan Archer's image appeared on her screen. Despite his advanced age, he still looked fit in his uniform; she could see he was calling from his office at Starfleet headquarters in San Francisco. "Hello, Uncle John," she said with a warm smile. Sweeping the small mountain of clothes aside, she sat in front of her computer.

"Hello, kiddo," he replied. "Are you getting settled in?"

"I guess so. I've just been unpacking."

"How's that spiffed-up ship?" he asked. She thought she could detect a hint of yearning in his voice.

"Enterprise is just as gorgeous as you always said, uncle. I'm already amazed at the new technology, and we haven't even left space dock yet!"

Archer laughed, obviously pleased at his niece's enthusiasm. "Well, I hope this whiz-bang new ship can live up to its history."

"Me, too," Lea said, "but it will be hard to compete with your legacy."

"That's true!" Archer said with a rascally smile. They shared a laugh, and then Archer continued, "And that brings me to my next question. Have you met that famous captain yet?"

Lea hesitated for a second, then answered, "yes, in fact, he met me when I came on board."

Detecting Lea's discomfort, the admiral's face suddenly clouded with worry. "And how was that?"

"Honestly, it was a bit difficult, at first," she replied. "I thought I was prepared to see him, but..."

"Hmm," Archer said thoughtfully. "Was it just nerves? Or a full-blown panic attack?"

"Just nerves, sweaty palms. Nothing serious," she said. She leaned back in her chair, suddenly feeling very tired. "But now I've got to get ready for dinner with the senior staff."

"Oh, yeah, first night's dinner at the captain's table," Archer said with a wistful smile. "That was always fun."

Lea snorted a laugh. "Yeah, maybe for you, Captain!"

Archer smiled mischievously. "Well, it was fun for me, but I admit that not everyone enjoyed it as much as I did."

"Well, right now, I'm cursing you for starting this particular tradition, uncle."

Archer's smile widened for a moment, then he grew serious again. "Lea, I still think you need to talk with Kirk about this. It might help things to go more smoothly."

"No," Lea replied vehemently. "I don't want any special treatment, and I don't want to jeopardize this new program with my personal issues. I can handle this."

The admiral sighed. "There's no arguing with you when you've made up your mind."

"Nope," Lea said with a grin. "And now, I need to get dressed for this wretched dinner."

"Let me know if you have any problems," Archer said. "And if Kirk gives you any trouble, I'll reassign him to a mining colony."

"I hope that won't be necessary," she replied before blowing her uncle a kiss and signing off.

Offline paulmtk

• Supreme VXer
  • Builidng a door so opportunity can knock!!
« Reply #33 on: Wed, Mar 10, 2010, 07:26 AM »
 :think well you certainly have me interested with these tidbits;

"Was it just nerves? Or a full-blown panic attack?"

So her Uncle knows something about how being either on the Enterprise or seeing Kirk could affect her??!!

I still think you need to talk with Kirk about this. It might help things to go more smoothly."

Now what does she need to talk to him about??? 

Now you are going to have me wondering about these two . . . is there a history or is it just Kirk's notoriety with the ladies??  Looking forward to more when you post . . .

Offline Furyan Goddess

• Supreme VXer
« Reply #34 on: Wed, Mar 10, 2010, 07:29 AM »
I'll read as soon as I can :D  Someone has me making Siggies and Ava's LOL

Offline princess_silence

• Supreme VXer
    • Facebook
« Reply #35 on: Thu, Mar 11, 2010, 03:49 AM »
Someone has me making Siggies and Ava's LOL

:drool  I saw that.. you really do make the sexiest siggies, FG!
"No," Lea replied vehemently. "I don't want any special treatment, and I don't want to jeopardize this new program with my personal issues. I can handle this."

You know, B, you really have me intrigued to know just what Lea's personal issues are!
"And if Kirk gives you any trouble, I'll reassign him to a mining colony."

:giggle  should we start helping Kirk pack his bags now??? I've got a feeling he just won't be able to help himself :)
Another fantastic chapter! You always keep me curious and wanting more! :hugs

Offline Bitten

• Space Babe
  • Administrator
  • Supreme VXer
  • Huh?
« Reply #36 on: Thu, Mar 11, 2010, 07:29 AM »
Thanks ladies. I didn't expect this story to stretch out so long. I appreciate you continuing to read.  :-*

Offline Furyan Goddess

• Supreme VXer
« Reply #37 on: Thu, Mar 11, 2010, 07:42 AM »
We never expect it to stretch out.  Shit, I started Holy Curse in Nov of 08 and here it is, March of 10 and I'm still trying to plug away at it.  I also REALLY need to finish up Pon Farr... MUST FINISH MUST FINISH MUST FINISH

Offline Bitten

• Space Babe
  • Administrator
  • Supreme VXer
  • Huh?
Re: [Star Trek 2009] A Perfect Universe [NC-17] 8/?
« Reply #38 on: Tue, Mar 23, 2010, 10:33 AM »
Chapter 8

A/N: I rewrote this chapter twice, but it still didn't turn out like I wanted it, so I rewrote it in this new format. I'd appreciate your suggestions on this style; I'll probably not do more chapters like this, but I'm curious to hear what you think of it.  Thanks again to my betas, and thanks to JuliaAurelia at fanfiction.net for pointing out the typo in my last chapter; I think I have all those errors fixed now. :)

1730 Hours…Lea

What the hell should I wear? Everyone else will be in uniform. Maybe the blue skirt? It’s almost the same color as those uniforms. No, I’m not Starfleet, no need to mimic their conformist clothing. But, those tall black boots are nice. Stupid shoes for work though. Idiotic Starfleet rules. Maybe the long black skirt would be better. Civilian. Yeah, obviously civilian…

1735 Uhura

I can’t believe they’re bringing a civilian on the bridge. A cultural expert? NHS? What a bunch of idiocy! Are her language skills better than mine? I doubt it. She’s just here because she’s Archer’s niece. That, or because Kirk wants to fuck her. God, this dinner is going to be unpleasant…

1736 Scotty

Oh, what has the laddie gotten us into? Bad enough to have that she-devil on board, but now we hae to eat dinner with her too? Wonder if she’ll recognize me? Did that old dog Archer tell her that I’m the one who zapped his beagle? Oh, heaven help me. I do na want to be transferred to a hell planet again! Have to keep me mouth shut. Canna take any chances. Dangerous people, those Archers.

1745 Lea

Okay, good enough. The skirt will do. Professional, but not military.  Drab lipstick. Not too flashy. *Deep breath*  Now, to face Kirk. *Deep breath* I can do this.  Here goes. Deck…  Oh hell, which deck is the damn dining room on? Crap…

1750 McCoy

What time is it? Dammit! Gonna be late. Where the hell is that bottle of whiskey? One of us is probably going to need it later.

1752 Chekov

Almost time! Wonder what’s for dinner? Hope there’s strawberries.

1753 Scotty

Wonder what’s for dinner? Roast beef? Maybe some of those little potatoes, with the butter and chives. And sour cream! And pie. Or one of those soufflés? Mmmmm, cheesecake. Maybe if I keep my head down an’ eat quietly, she won’t do anythin’ bad to me.

1755 Kirk

Uniform looks good, hair looks good… Yeah, I look good. Damn good. Hmmm. Maybe I should wear the tighter pants? Nah, don’t want to overwhelm the poor girl right off the bat. There’ll be plenty of time for that later. Wonder what she’ll wear? Hope she doesn’t wear Starfleet blue. Sick of blue. Maybe something sexy, or slinky… Oh yeah, a tight black lace thing…maybe with one of those little ribbons…or high heels with those black stockings… Oh god, shouldn’t have thought of that now. I'm hard enough to pound nails! Again. Only a few minutes…better take care of this before I go, or else I’ll be fighting this hard-on through the whole damn dinner.

1801 Lea

This isn’t so bad. Kirk’s not here yet. Maybe he got called away. Something urgent. God, I hope so.  Wow, that must be Uhura. She looks like she just ate a lemon. This should be fun. *sigh*

1802 McCoy

Well, I’m not too late! Jim isn’t even here yet. Surprising, figured he’d be here rubbing all over her by now. Jesus, Uhura looks like a viper! And Scotty looks like he’s about to have a coronary. Someone should say something, this is awkward as hell.

“Miss Archer, it’s nice to meet you. I’m Leonard McCoy.”

Damn, she really is pretty. Gorgeous smile. No wonder Jim’s been lusting after her. Wonder why he’s not here yet? Oh good, here’s Chekov.

1804 Lea

Wow, Chekov looks even younger than I expected. He sure talks a lot. Thank god! He’s the only happy person here... Goodness, he’s not going to shut up, is he?

1806 Kirk

Show time! Everyone’s probably here by now. Good thing Spock's got the con tonight  …where’s Lea? Oh, damn, she looks good. Chekov’s sure talkative. What’s McCoy glaring at me for? Oh, guess I shouldn’t stare at her boobs like that…time to be the captain.

“Hello everyone, sorry I’m late. I assume you’ve all had a chance to introduce yourselves to Miss Archer?”

1806 Lea

Oh, he’s here. *deep breath* Smile, act professional. No reason to panic. Damn, he’s talking. What? Crap! I need to say something. Something neutral, don’t offend them. No need to point out that they all seem mentally off-balance.

“Yes, and it’s an honor to meet all of you. I’m looking forward to this assignment.”

If Uhura glares any harder, her face will break. Why is the chief engineer looking at me like that? And why is Kirk looking at me like that?

1816 Chekov

These staff dinners are so great! Everyone’s together and the food is good. Miss Archer is nice. Wonder what’s wrong with Scotty? Oh, they’re bringing those little crispy fried dumplings!

1816 Lea

God, I hope that broccoli doesn’t get stuck in my teeth. The chief engineer is still looking at me like I’m a giant spider. What the hell?

1817 McCoy

Poor girl seems nervous. It would help if Scotty and Uhura weren’t acting so strangely. Might also help if Jim would stop looking at her boobs. *sigh* Better keep the conversation going.

“So, Miss Archer, it must have been something, growing up in the former-president’s family?”

1817 Lea

Oh, great. Here we go. Same old questions, every time. Can’t anyone think of something original to say? Guess not. Smile and be gracious, Lea.

“Yes, it was extremely educational…”

1819 Scotty

The laddie hasn’t taken ‘is eyes off her. Oh, he’s doomed. Doomed. At least she’s not looking at me yet. Thank god McCoy is keeping her attention. Would it be rude for me to get more of those little potatoes? Ought ta bulk up before she figures out who I am and has me transferred to Starvation Moonbase.

1820 Uhura

Kirk might as well just ask all the rest of us to leave so he can be alone with her. Why did he even bother to invite the senior staff? He’s obviously not interested in anything but her boobs. Or her legs. Hmmm... He’s not talking much. Not telling any stories, or boasting about anything. That's strange. What the hell?

1822 Kirk

Need to say something witty. Wish her jacket wasn’t buttoned up so high.  Wonder what she’s wearing underneath it? Wow, her hands are pretty. … What the hell is wrong with me? Her hands? Argh. Need to say something charming! Now! Erm...

1826 McCoy

Never thought I’d see the day. Jim Kirk is tongue-tied. Oh, this is good. Or bad. Whatever.

1827 Uhura

Kirk seriously needs to stop staring at her like that. He’s making her nervous. And so is Scotty. Damn, glad I’m not her.

1828 Scotty

Okay, main course is finished. Not too much longer. Hold on, Montgomery, this is almost over. Maybe, if there’s apple crisp for desert, I might be able to make it…  Oh, no! She’s not talking to me, is she? Damn!

“Oh, er…I just. Work on the engines. You know, work and... things.”

Stop talking to me! Stop looking at me! Ignore me, you she-devil! Stop asking me questions! Oh, no! Now Kirk’s glaring at me! So’s McCoy! I need to get out of here before something really bad happens…

Oh, my god, did I say that out loud??

1829 Lea

“Excuse me?”

What the hell does he mean 'Before something really bad happens?' What is wrong with this guy? Why does he keep staring at me like that? And where is he going??  Did I offend him? Oh, god, this is a disaster. I should just repack my stuff and go home.

1829 Kirk

Oh, shit, Scotty! You big idiot! Now she's going to think the senior staff is nuts. Wonder if I can salvage this? *sigh*

“Miss Archer, let me apologize for Mister Scott. I’m afraid he’s been feeling a bit…under the weather.”

1829 McCoy

Great, Scotty has lost his mind. And now Jim is stuttering. I knew we were going to need that whisky.

“Yes, Scotty occasionally suffers from high levels of paranoia and self-destructive behavior. It’s highly annoying, but unfortunately, untreatable...”

1829 Uhura

Poor girl! This is an awful way to be introduced to Starfleet. Stupid men!

“Miss Archer, Scotty’s just PMSing. Ignore him. Maybe after dinner, you and I can go to the crew lounge and have a drink. I can introduce you to some of the more normal people on the ship.”

1829 Lea

PMSing? Can Starfleet officers talk like that? Oh well, at least she doesn’t seem to want to kill me now.

“That would be nice.”

Nice? She’ll probably change her mind and poison me. And what is Kirk looking at? Is there something wrong with my jacket?

1829 Kirk

What the hell is Uhura doing? She's highjacking my NHS! Lea's supposed to have a drink with me after dinner! God, this evening has been a disaster.

1830 Uhura

Kirk's glaring at me. Good! Teach him to leer at a new crew member all night! Horndog. He was probably planning to upload some nasty vid clips of her later tonight. It's a good thing I'm here to protect her.

1832 Chekov

I wonder if I can take Scotty's cheesecake, since he left?

« Last Edit: Sun, Apr 04, 2010, 07:50 AM by Bitten »

Offline paulmtk

• Supreme VXer
« Reply #39 on: Wed, Mar 24, 2010, 07:19 AM »
 :lolmao Unique approach that portrayed such a variety of thoughts all captured true to the characters!  Don't know if this would work in another situation, but I think your approach to this scene was right on target vs. the usual monologues and discussions at a formal dinner.

Kirk is too funny with his errrr  :hit  one-minded thoughts . . .  none of them related to his position as captain of the Enterprise

Glad Uhura came around to rally with the new female and put the 'unstable' males in their place (well at least one)

Offline Bitten

• Space Babe
  • Administrator
  • Supreme VXer
  • Huh?
« Reply #40 on: Wed, Mar 24, 2010, 09:50 AM »
Thank you! I was afraid this chapter would simply be confusing. :)

Offline Furyan Goddess

• Supreme VXer
« Reply #41 on: Wed, Mar 24, 2010, 10:27 AM »
Nice new siggie, B.  That almost looks like Dean's chest lol.  Sexy 

Offline Bitten

• Space Babe
  • Administrator
  • Supreme VXer
  • Huh?
Re: [Star Trek 2009] A Perfect Universe [NC-17] 9/?
« Reply #42 on: Wed, Apr 28, 2010, 07:50 AM »
Chapter 9

A/N: Thanks to Janine for helping me figure this out, and thanks to FG for letting me borrow Autumn.

Kirk sighed, rubbing a hand over his face. “That could have gone better.”

“Yep,” McCoy agreed as he poured a bit of whiskey into Kirk’s glass. He eyed his friend speculatively. “What happened?”

“Well, obviously, Scotty’s fear of Admiral Archer was more intense than I realized,” Kirk said as he sipped his drink. “I shouldn’t have insisted he come this evening.”

“Yeah, that was interesting,” McCoy said. “But I was talking about you. What happened to you? You’re usually full of piss and vinegar when you’re trying to impress a new girl.”

Kirk winced. “I don’t know,” he muttered. “Everything was fine when I met her at the shuttle this afternoon. But…”

“But?” McCoy prompted. “What changed?”

“I don’t know. I didn’t expect her to look so good. It was distracting.”

“What?” McCoy laughed. “You’ve never been intimidated by a pretty face before. No, something else is bothering you. Come on, spit it out.”

Kirk bristled. “Why are you asking? Seems like you should be happy that Lea’s having drinks with Uhura instead of me.”

“Let’s just say I don’t like to have the captain operating at less-than-full capacity.”

Kirk stared at McCoy for a moment, then sighed loudly. “Yeah, well. I had planned to dazzle her with my wit and charm,” he said with his famous grin, “but… everything I wanted to say seemed anemic. Lame. I mean, she’s heard all the hero stories before, from her uncle. It’s not like I’m the first guy to save Earth.” He shrugged, took another sip of his whiskey, then continued, “then you had to ask about her childhood, growing up with Federation big shots, surrounded by the president’s entourage.”

“So?” McCoy asked while pouring them both another drink.

“So… she’s accustomed to famous people, she’s not enamored with heroes. Good-looking, smart, powerful guys are nothing new to her.”

McCoy tried to hide his smirk. Even when his ego is threatened, it’s still huge. "So, what you’re saying is that you’re not any better than the other gods?” he said, hoping to joke Kirk out of his foul mood.

Kirk just glared at him. “Something like that,” he said dryly, downing the shot of whiskey. “It’s just…I expected her to be a bit more impressed with everything this evening. The first-night captain’s dinner usually makes people nervous, or inspires a little awe."

"Hmm. She did seem poised, even with Scotty's little outburst," McCoy said as he considered his friend’s words. It wasn’t often that Kirk admitted any self-doubt. Maybe this infatuation with Miss Archer isn’t so bad after all, if it gives him a little humility. But then, the fact that Kirk felt inferior because he had only saved Earth once was a bit alarming. God-complex, indeed. Kid takes too much responsibility on himself.

“Maybe she’s not blown away by your fame and daring. So what? I don’t recall you having any trouble with women back at the academy, before you became such a hero.

Kirk didn’t miss the acid in his friend’s tone at the word hero, so he put on his best cocky grin. “Well, that’s true enough,” he drawled, but then his bluster faded. “Lea, I don’t know. She’s different. She’s…”

“She’s having drinks with Uhura, right now, is what she is!” McCoy interrupted. “Now what do you suppose Uhura is up to? She seemed to have a bit of a twinkle in her eye when she walked out of here with your girl.”

Kirk sobered at the implications of McCoy’s words. His expression shifted, reflecting both annoyance and determination. He stood purposefully, striding toward the door. “Come on Bones, we’re going to the crew lounge.”

Affecting surprise, McCoy said, "what are you up to?"

"Neutralizing an adversary," came his clipped response. "And ... something I should have done a long time ago."

Now that’s more like it, McCoy thought, grinning as he hurried to keep up.

Uhura studied Lea's profile as they walked down the corridor, wondering what the new girl was thinking. She didn't seem too excited about visiting the crew lounge, which Uhura found odd. Who doesn't want to meet their ship mates as soon as possible? Maybe she's just shy? Or maybe she was simply being polite. She had certainly managed to remain polite all evening, despite that fiasco of a dinner. Well, it will be good for her to meet some of the girls. After suffering through Kirk and Scotty, she deserves to have a little fun.

They took a lift to the next deck, and Uhura noticed that Lea was paying particular attention to the junction. "Don't worry about getting lost," she said, remembering her own difficulties with navigating the Enterprise's many hallways during her own first weeks aboard. "You can stop at any voice command station to ask for directions. Everyone needs to use the auto maps when they first get here."

Lea smiled gratefully. "Thanks, I think I'll probably be using that feature a lot."

Uhura smiled in return, pleased that the former president's niece wasn't a spoiled bitch, as she had half-expected. Seems nice. Poor girl. She's obviously no match for Kirk. He'll just eat her up and spit her out, like he always does.

"That dinner was abysmal," she said, hoping to draw Lea into conversation.

"I take it that wasn't typical for a formal dinner here?" Lea asked.

"No, the guys are usually much less obnoxious," Uhura replied, laughing to lighten the mood. While continuing to make small talk, her thoughts lingered on Kirk and her own long-repressed humiliation at his hands.

Pompous jackass, staring at her like that, making her nervous. Probably plans to seduce her just so he can add her to that damn vid collection, too. Just what his ego needs, to tag a member of the Archer family. She probably doesn't even know the vids exist. I better warn her.

Uhura's eyes narrowed in anticipation. She felt good about helping Lea, but more importantly, she relished the opportunity to thwart Kirk.

"Here we are," she said, opening the doors to the crew lounge.

“Human or Alien?”

“Excuse me?” Lea asked. She had absolutely no idea what Uhura was talking about; in fact, she still felt mildly suspicious that she might not live through the evening. There was no denying the venomous glare that Uhura had been shooting at her earlier, and Lea didn’t know if she trusted this turn of attitude. It’ll be a surprise attack. She’ll smile and then kill me when I least expect it.

“Booze!” Uhura replied. “You want human alcohol or alien stuff? The crew lounge is stocked with most everything.” Uhura smiled reassuringly, but Lea hesitated. She hadn’t planned to start drinking her first night on board the ship, but Uhura seemed determined.

“I usually go for the alien stuff,” she continued, “but tonight, I think maybe we need some old-fashioned home-brew.” Uhura winked then signaled the bartender. “Two shots of tequila and a couple of beers, please. And keep 'em coming.”

Tequila shots? Oh, this isn’t smart, Lea thought.

Before she knew what was happening, she was surrounded by a small group of female staffers at a table in the corner of the lounge, facing a view port. “Okay, everyone, this is Lea. She’s had a bad day, so let’s not make it any worse,” Uhura said to the group before downing her shot. She introduced the other women while sucking gently on the slice of lime that came with her drink.

Lea tried to note all the names, but she immediately got two of the women mixed up. I hope there’s not a test later, she thought as she nursed her beer, ignoring the tequila. Uhura was talking again, telling the others about the horrible dinner.

“…and then Scotty mumbled something incoherent and left the dining room!”

“Well, that’s surprising. What was wrong with him?” one of the women asked. Lea thought her name was Autumn.

“He’s probably afraid of her,” Uhura said dismissively.

“What?” Lea said. “Why would he be afraid of me?”

“Uh, because you’re Jonathan Archer’s niece?” a pretty blonde woman said in a slightly-condescending tone.

“What does that have to do with the chief engineer?” Lea wondered, but no one seemed to hear her; Uhura was talking again, and apparently, she commanded everyone’s attention. Lea decided that she should ask her uncle about Scotty’s odd paranoia of her, but then she realized that the conversation had turned to Kirk. She couldn’t deny a morbid curiosity about him, so she started paying closer attention to the chatter while she sipped her beer.

“… and I bet Kirk will seriously make Scotty pay for that,” Uhura was saying. “You should have seen him; he was so embarrassed, he could barely speak!”

“Oh, come on! Kirk is never embarrassed!”  the blonde, Janice, said with a laugh. “And he’s never at a loss for words!” one of the other women said. They all laughed, remarking about Kirk’s over-developed ego.

“Actually,” Uhura continued, eying Lea as she spoke, “he was quiet throughout the whole dinner.”

“Well, that’s hard to believe,” a dark-haired woman named Ronnie replied. “If he wasn’t the center of attention, then he must be getting sick or something.”

Lea wondered about that. “So, he’s usually more talkative?” she asked tentatively.

“Oh, girl, let me tell you…” the woman continued, and soon the whole table was laughing again.

Uhura took the opportunity to lean close to Lea, speaking softly. “He was quiet because he was so busy staring at you.”

Lea blinked in surprise. “What?”

Uhura smiled and continued, still speaking quietly enough that the others didn’t hear, “Surely you noticed?”

Lea resisted the urge to squirm under the other woman’s attention. In fact, she had noticed him staring, but she assumed it was because she wasn’t wearing a Starfleet uniform like everyone else. At least, that’s what she hoped. Deep down, however, she feared he was staring at her because he knew; he knew, and he blamed her, just like she expected him to. The familiar tingle of anxiety blossomed in the pit of her stomach, but she took a deep breath, calming her nerves. Stop being irrational, Lea, it won’t help.

Uhura sighed, misreading Lea’s reaction. Oh, damn, she's got it bad for him. Poor girl. “Look, I know Kirk can be extremely charming, but be careful; you probably don’t want to be the star of one of his vid clips on the subnet.”

“What?” Lea blurted, drawing the attention of the other women at the table. “The subnet? But I don’t… He wasn’t…--

Her spluttering was cut off by Uhura’s laughter. “Don't play coy! I mean, it was so obvious. He stared at you all evening, and tripped over his own words whenever he tried to talk to you. He was acting like a school boy with his first crush.”

Lea was so taken aback she couldn’t respond. Surely Uhura was mistaken. If Kirk had any interest in her, it was probably due to her connection with his father’s death, not some romantic thing.

“A school boy? You’ve got to be kidding,” the woman named Tessa said. “Kirk was never a shy school boy.” The other women agreed, snickering at the idea, though now they were looking at Lea speculatively.

“Well, whatever is going on with Kirk, you need to be careful, Lea,” Autumn said. Sharing a glace with Uhura, she continued, “she’s right. No matter how attractive he is, you don’t want to wind up on the subnet.”

“Speak of the devil,” one of the women interrupted, glancing toward the door as Kirk and McCoy entered. The others casually looked in his direction, except Janice, who stared longingly at him.

“Wow, he’s looking good tonight,” Ronnie said, to murmurs of agreement. Uhura simply quirked an eyebrow as Kirk passed by their table; she didn’t bother watching him like so many of the other women -- and men -- did. Instead, she kept her gaze on Lea, who was doing her best to ignore the entire situation.

“Ooh, he’s looking over here,” Tessa said. Lea's back was to the room, and she had to resist the urge to turn around and see for herself. “Guess he does have the hots for you, Lea, ‘cause he’s looking right at you.”

Oh, great, Lea thought, momentarily wishing she could sink into her chair and disappear. Then, silently, she berated herself for her weakness. You've managed to maintain a professional demeanor all through this dratted evening, so don't blow it now! She straightened her posture and casually took a sip of her beer, only to realize, when the bottle clacked against her teeth, that it was empty. Glancing up, she saw that several of her companions seemed a bit less friendly than they had before, and Janice was eying her with barely-concealed hostility. Just what I need; a new enemy. And it's only my first day here! Lea thought with a grimace.

"And, here he comes," Ronnie said, nudging Lea's foot under the table.

Lea looked into the view port and saw his reflection approaching. The arrogant grin from the afternoon was back on his face, and he swaggered as if he owned the world. Lea's stomach did a flip, and in an instant of panic, her eyes lit on the forgotten tequila shot that Uhura had ordered for her. She downed it without hesitation, welcoming the burn as the alcohol spilled down her throat. The sensation quelled her impending panic attack; though, she supposed, she might later wish she had chosen some other method of distraction.

Uhura watched, noting that Lea's reaction contained more dread than eagerness. Maybe I misread this, Uhura mused. Maybe she really doesn't want him. Is she simply afraid of how he'll react if she tells him no?

"Lea," she said quietly, leaning to murmur in her ear, "if you don't want to go out with him, just tell him so. He's an egotistical ass, but he won't force himself on anyone."

The reassuring tone of Uhura's voice made Lea feel better, even though the other woman obviously didn't understand why Lea felt so agitated. It was simply nice to have someone on her side, but before she could reply, Kirk ... arrived. It was as if the entire table was swept up in a sudden wave of magnetism and charisma.

"Ladies, I trust you're having a pleasant evening?" he said, his confident voice captivating everyone within earshot. Lea and Autumn had to turn in their chairs to see him, while Janice leaned toward him wistfully from the far side of the table. Uhura lounged back in her seat, acknowledging him with a nonchalant air.

"I'm glad to see that Uhura is fulfilling her promise," he said. Turning his full attention to Lea's now-puzzled face, he explained, "to introduce you to some of the more normal members of our crew." His smile was dazzling as he gestured to all the women assembled at the table, winking at Autumn. He obviously loved playing to an appreciative audience, and Ronnie, Tessa and Janice were only too happy to be included in the spectacle.

His showmanship was lost on Lea, however, as she simply struggled for an appropriate, yet truthful response. "Lieutenant Uhura is indeed a formidable host," she managed, her voice a bit hoarse from the still-burning tequila.

Kirk's grin only deepened, causing the corners of his eyes to crinkle slightly. "That she is," he replied, holding Lea's gaze for a moment. Then he looked at Uhura. "Lieutenant, may I have a word with you?"

"Of course, Captain," she said, smiling frostily as she stood.

Lea felt an immediate wash of relief as Kirk's attention turned away from her. Surely he wouldn't smile like that if he knew about me.

Emboldened by the thought, she watched the interaction between Kirk and Uhura with utter fascination. Though the woman was smiling, it was not a happy expression; rather, it seemed as if she were challenging him. Kirk seemed to not only recognize the implied dare, but to welcome it.

Wow. There's some kind of history there, Lea thought. Chemistry, too. I knew Uhura was wrong. He's not interested in me, he's interested in her.

They headed across the room, presumably so they could speak in private. Uhura moved with an intense grace, drawing attention like a prowling panther, while Kirk swaggered, his rolling gait inviting everyone to watch him -- and everyone did. Almost every person in the lounge stared eagerly at the two mesmerizing figures. As they stopped at a tall cafe table by the far view port, a burst of eager whispers erupted around the room.

Lea began to relax, her normal self-confidence returning, as the two most vexing people she had met now took center stage. Just like every other office I've worked in, driven by gossip and politics,she mused. Glad it's got nothing to do with me.

"Gah," Janice grumbled, pulling Lea's attention back to her table. "He didn't even look at me! And now every man here is staring at Uhura."

"Yeah," Ronnie agreed. "I wish I had her legs."

Suddenly, feeling free of the burdens of the day, Lea laughed. "Me too," she said as she began nibbling on the lime that came with her shot.

« Last Edit: Wed, Apr 28, 2010, 07:53 AM by Bitten »

Offline Furyan Goddess

• Supreme VXer
« Reply #43 on: Wed, Apr 28, 2010, 07:52 AM »
Oh boy, a nice long chappie to read later YEAH! 

Offline Janine

• Administrator
  • Supreme VXer
  • Out of my mind. Back in 5 minutes!
    • MySpace
    • Facebook
    • Twitter
    • VinXperience
« Reply #44 on: Wed, Apr 28, 2010, 08:38 AM »
A/N: Thanks to Janine for helping me figure this out, and thanks to FG for letting me borrow Autumn.

You're very welcome! :hugs You know how much I love your writing. :)

At first I wasn't entirely sure what Uhura was up to. I thought she might be trying to be mean, not necessarily to upset Lea but maybe to torture Kirk a bit. I'm happy to see she's just trying to be helpful in her own way. Now, let's see what the captain is up to. ;D

I totally dig the 'piss and vinegar' btw. I had to look up the phrase since I didn't know it before, and I'll be very sure to remember it from this day on. :giggle

Offline ban sidhe

• Supreme VXer
  • one day at a time
    • Facebook
« Reply #45 on: Wed, Apr 28, 2010, 09:10 AM »
 :rock  Wow, B!  Just found this one and I LOVE it!  Very true to the original... good work!

And yes, I am and have always been a Trekker.  Spock was always my favorite, though.

Kirk is just too accessible for me... But that cool, austere Vulcan... now there's a challenge!

Can't wait  to see the results of Kirk finding out whatever Lea's hiding... and what happens

after her first full-blown panic attack on board.   Keep up the excellent work, sweetie!

PS:  Great job on Scottie's accent, btw. :bow

Offline Furyan Goddess

• Supreme VXer
« Reply #46 on: Wed, Apr 28, 2010, 09:13 AM »
Ban, You should check out my Pon Farr. It's Spock based. 

B really does do a fantastic job at Scottie.  She's the only want I can write him

Offline Bitten

• Space Babe
  • Administrator
  • Supreme VXer
  • Huh?
« Reply #47 on: Thu, Apr 29, 2010, 06:59 AM »
@Janine,
Thanks again for your help with this, J. I had a hell of a time with Uhura. And I'm glad to introduce you to yet another gross American phrase!

@Ban,
Thanks! I'm glad to have you reading the story. I never would have been brave enough to write fic about the original Trek, but these new guys don't intimidate me quite as much. And thanks for the comment about Scotty's accent. I still have trouble with making him sound like a hobbit.

@ Tracy,
Thanks again for letting me borrow Autumn!

Offline paulmtk

• Supreme VXer
« Reply #48 on: Mon, May 03, 2010, 09:43 AM »
 :evillol Great chappie!!

Starting with an insecure Kirk who is feeling like his 'god-ness' will not impress . . . puhleeez!  Such an ego-maniac that you captured perfectly!

The girls in the lounge and your comparison to the typical office antics; nice!  When you get down to it, guess living on a starship is like being in the office 24/7 with all the usual BS!

Look forward to hearing the 'talk' between Kirk and Uhura  :coffee

Offline Bitten

• Space Babe
  • Administrator
  • Supreme VXer
  • Huh?
« Reply #49 on: Mon, May 03, 2010, 12:14 PM »
Thanks!

Look forward to hearing the 'talk' between Kirk and Uhura 

:giggle I had a blast writing that part. I hope to have it ready to post in another day or so. I need to get back to a normal schedule with this so I can FINISH it already. :)

Offline Bitten

• Space Babe
  • Administrator
  • Supreme VXer
  • Huh?
Re: [Star Trek 2009] A Perfect Universe [NC-17] 10/?
« Reply #50 on: Tue, May 18, 2010, 09:18 AM »
Chapter 10

A/N: Thanks to Pamela, Janine and Furyan Goddess for the beta; and thanks to FG for letting me borrow Autumn. Just a reminder: this story is set in an AU where Spock and Uhura never got together.

"What is it, Captain?" Uhura asked as soon as they stopped at the table, though she was sure she knew exactly why he wanted to talk to her. I snatched Lea out from under his nose, and now he's got some wily plan to keep me from turning her against him. We'll just see about that! She stared at him coolly, rubbing her tongue along the back of her teeth, waiting for him to make his move.

Noting her defiant stance, Kirk took a moment to savor the rush of pre-battle anticipation, then took an exaggerated breath and began. "This, um, this isn't a professional matter, Uhura. It's personal." He spoke quietly, as if he didn't wish to be overheard.

"Yes?" was all she gave him. She knew Kirk was a master strategist, and whatever he had up his sleeve, she wasn't going to make it easy for him.

"I recently learned... I mean, I didn't know -- ugh. This is harder than I thought." He paused for a dramatic moment, then plunged forward. "Listen, I know this is late in coming, but...I owe you an apology."

Uhura's eyebrow rose in a mock show of surprise. He’s a good actor, but…trying to win me over with his humility? Ha! She regarded him for a heartbeat, then said, "What for?"

He hesitated, as if unsure of how to proceed. Finally, he haltingly said, "you know, back at the academy. That file on the subnet. I didn't know it was there. I mean, well, I knew some files were there, but I never actually looked at them. I, uh. I should have done something about it, back then. I'm sorry."

Uhura felt herself go cold at the mention of the accursed vid clip. Years of practice allowed her to keep the expression off her face as the single-most humiliating event of her life was thrust back at her. He’s fighting dirty, she thought, surprised that he would sink low enough to use this against her.

"Sorry?” she ground out angrily. “Really."

Kirk's face was flushed, and he was looking at the top of the table. His finger was tapping, and if she didn’t know better, she might think he was actually nervous. Not looking up at her, he continued, "I didn't...I didn't realize the full extent of those vids, until a few weeks ago. I didn't know you were there --"

“How could you not know?” she hissed, clearly shocked by this revelation. “Everyone else knew!”

He finally brought his gaze up to meet hers, and she was surprised by the emotion there. "I just didn’t pay attention to that kind of thing, back then. But now, I understand why you wouldn't speak to me for two years, and … I don't blame you for hating me," he said in a choked voice.

He didn’t know why I avoided him all that time? Softening a little, despite her better judgment, she replied, "Oh, I never really hated you, you know that."

"Well, I know you put up with me now because I'm the captain and I haven't gotten you killed yet," he said, smiling up at her from under his lashes.

Uhura sighed. She had to admit, he played "humble" very well, and he was damned charming when he wanted to be. Still, his timing was suspect. "Why now? After so long, why bring this up tonight?"

"Well, I wanted to do more than apologize. I wanted to fix it, so--"

"Fix it?!" Uhura snapped, finally allowing her repressed anger and frustration to show. "You can't just fix something like that! Do you have any idea how mortified I was? How much crap I've had to put up with since that thing appeared on the net?"

"Nyota, I'm sorry. I can only imagine how embarrassing that must have been. I know that nothing can ever make up for that."

Her sudden fury dissipated just as quickly as it came, tempered by his apparently earnest apology. Hearing her first name on his lips reminded her of the intimacy they had shared, of that one unplanned night of passion. Now, he looked at her imploringly, his blue eyes seeming so sincere. She crossed her arms defensively, and feeling off-balance from her conflicting emotions, she simply looked at him. "Go on," she said.

"I've spent the last two weeks trying to get that clip removed from the net, and that's why I wanted to talk to you tonight. It's gone. They deleted it. I...thought you'd want to know."

Uhura's breath caught. For years, she had wanted nothing more than for that awful clip to disappear. And now it was gone? Just like that? "Are you sure?" she asked, silently cursing herself for the note of insecurity in her voice.

"Yeah, it's gone from the net," Kirk said, "but, I'm afraid it still exists on lots of sub-servers, and anyone who copied the file still has it." He looked at her apprehensively, expecting her to explode again.

She uncrossed her arms and leaned against the table, tapping her finger lightly on the edge as she considered his words. After a tension-filled moment, she said, "well, I guess that's better than nothing. There's no way to get rid of all the copies anyway."

"Oh, don't be so sure," Kirk said, with that familiar glint in his eyes. "Chekov and Scotty are working on a special program, some quantum-trans-mumbo-jumbo worm. If it works, they'll infect the subnet with it, and then it'll jump to the official Starfleet system, replicating throughout all connected computing systems. It's like a seek-and-destroy missile, set to eliminate every copy ever made of those vid clips."

"Every copy?" Uhura breathed. "They can do that?"

"Don't forget, this is a ship full of over-achieving super-geniuses," Kirk said, cocky grin back in place. "They can do it."

"But, infecting all Starfleet systems? Won't that get someone in trouble?"

"The worm will erase itself after the job's done, so there'll be no way to prove it was us. It might take a few more days, but we'll get it done, Nyota, I promise."

For the first time in a very long time, she felt free. With a genuine smile, she leaned across the table and placed her hand on his arm. "I still wonder about your motives, but ... thank you, Jim."

He smiled too, then tipped his head in acknowledgment. Taking a formal step back from the table, he said, "Good night, Lieutenant," then turned to leave the lounge.

As Kirk and Uhura walked away from the table, Janice smirked at Lea. “Disappointed? He doesn’t seem that interested in you, after all.”

Lea smiled. She might be a bit shaky in the presence of Kirk, but with his attention turned elsewhere, her confidence had returned. The tequila buzz helped too, and her usually-bold personality reasserted itself. She did not want her work on the Enterprise to be tainted by silly gossip or jealousy, and since this game was all-too-familiar, she tried to turn the attention away from herself.  “Actually, I was just thinking how good the two of them look together.”

Janice’s brow furrowed, and the other women smiled. “You have to admit, Janice, those two do look hot together,” Tessa said.

“Yeah, watching them walk across the room is almost as good as watching porn,” Ronnie replied with a grin. “Sexy.”

Janice glared at the other women, and Lea stifled her smile. Good. Let them snark at each other and forget about me, she thought.

“Damn, he does look good,” Tessa said, still staring at the retreating figures.

“He always does,” Janice replied. “What do you think they’re talking about?”

“I don’t know, but I wish Kirk would turn around,” Tessa replied.

“I don’t mind looking at that ass,” Ronnie responded with a laugh.

“Well, yeah, but I can’t see his face,” Tessa said.

“Whatever he’s saying, Uhura doesn’t like it,” Janice observed with satisfaction in her voice.

“He must be trying to get in her pants again,” Tessa said with a grin.

“Not if he’s smart,” Ronnie replied.

“Oh, come on you guys, this isn’t any of our business,” Autumn said, shaking her head at the others.

“Oh, Autumn, don’t be such a fuddy-duddy,” Tessa said. “Besides, I’d bet that he is trying to fuck her again. That clip on the subnet is getting old.”

“Yep,” Ronnie said. “Time to update his porn files!”

“Tessa! Ronnie!” Autumn cried. “That’s uncalled for! Show some respect!”

Tessa shrugged, then Ronnie responded, “Well, she’ll definitely kill him if anything like that happens again.”

Lea listened to the conversation, interested in spite of herself. Uhura was in one of those clips? Now her behavior is starting to make a little more sense.

“As well she should,” Tessa said. “How embarrassing!”

Ronnie glanced sidelong at Lea, looking for an opportunity to spice up the conversation. “You think they look good together now, but what about on that clip? Did you like that, too?”

“Ronnie, you’re just being mean,” Autumn interjected. Ronnie shrugged, still looking at Lea expectantly.

Lea studied Ronnie’s face for a moment, weighing her words. She didn’t want to make any enemies on her first day, so despite her strong feelings on the matter, she tried to give a neutral reply. “That’s not the sort of thing I usually pay attention to,” Lea said, hoping the conversation would move to a less offensive topic.

“But you have seen them?” Ronnie pressed.

Damn, these women just don’t stop! If she’d been back at the university, or in some other civilian setting, she would simply have said “Mind your own business” and left the table. But this was Starfleet, and she needed to fit in, even in this casual setting. Gritting her teeth in annoyance, she nodded her head. “I know things like that are on the subnet, but I mostly ignore them. I don’t like to invade someone’s privacy like that.”

“Well, it’s not like Kirk minds,” Tessa said. “If he didn’t like the attention, he’d stop putting on such a show.”

Lea cringed at the ignorant remark. As if heroes asked to be harassed! Well, fuck it. I’ll never really fit in here anyway. Might as well let them see the real me.

“You know,” she began, “when I was a kid, I watched my uncle struggle to hide his personal life from the media. He had to be careful, all the time, because any misstep or slip-of-the-tongue made the news. Once he spilled a cup of coffee on himself, at a conference, and he said ‘damn, that’s hot.’ We spent the next two weeks seeing clips of his face saying damn on intergalactic broadcasts.”

Lea paused, taking a sip of her fresh beer.  “He had to have extra security around his home, and his office, and he still was hounded by people trying to take his picture or catch him doing something interesting. Fans, fame-hounds, reporters, crazy people…always out there, always watching. It was annoying and it made life hell, for our whole family.”

Autumn smiled. The other women were listening intently, but they didn’t look happy. Maybe they hadn't expected to be called to task by the seemingly-quiet new girl.

“So yeah, I’m aware that there are a lot of unflattering things on the subnet," Lea continued. "I think the people who post that stuff should be ashamed, and the people who watch it should be ashamed, too. I sympathize with anyone who has to put up with that kind of garbage.”

“I’m sorry for the girls in those vids, too,” Autumn agreed. “Most of them probably had no idea that would happen to them.”

“No one deserves that kind of scrutiny, especially from their friends,” Lea said pointedly.

Suddenly, Uhura laughed out loud, alerting the women that she was back and had overheard part of the conversation. Ronnie and Tessa both turned red, stuttering their surprise that they’d been caught in their cattiness. “Oh, Uhura…um. We were just— "

“Just laughing at me behind my back?” Uhura interrupted Ronnie. “Why am I not surprised?”  She sat down, smiling dazzlingly at the women, as if she were completely unfazed by their nasty remarks.

“Well, I suppose it’s time to call it a night,” Tessa said hesitantly. Uhura continued to smile, causing Tessa to fumble nervously.

“Good night,” Autumn said brightly.

“Yeah, um, hang on Tess, I’ll join you,” Ronnie said, eager to escape the embarrassing situation. The two women quickly left the lounge.

Janice sighed. “Well, I guess you’re not going to tell us what Kirk wanted?”

“Probably not,” Uhura said, smirking as she reached for her drink.

“Yeah, I figured. Guess I should go, too,” Janice said. “Good night.”

Autumn smiled at her as she left, and then finally, Uhura giggled. “Now, want to know what Kirk said?”

“Uh, no,” Lea said quickly. “This really isn’t any of my business. I’ll just go so you two can talk.”

“Don’t be silly, Lea,” Uhura replied. “I heard what you said, and, I'm afraid you’re stuck with me now.”

"Oh, great," Lea muttered. Autumn laughed and Uhura continued without missing a beat.

“He’s found a way to remove all those clips from the subnet,” she whispered, still grinning happily.

“What?” Autumn exclaimed loudly, then immediately hushed her voice. “Really?”

“Yeah. He said he didn’t know I was even there, until a few weeks ago. Now he’s got Scotty and Chekov working on some worm to destroy all the copies.”

“That’s wonderful!” Autumn said, obviously happy for her friend. “Surprising, but wonderful.”

“Yeah,” Uhura breathed. Then she straightened, resuming her customary poise. “But Lea, what I said is still true. Kirk’s an egotistical ass at best, and a slut at his worst. If you don’t want to date him, just tell him no. And if you do want to date him, be careful.”

Lea smiled. “Thanks for the warning, but honestly, I think that’s the least of my worries.”

"Neutralizing an adversary, eh?" McCoy said as he walked alongside Kirk. They were headed to the medical bay, where the doctor had a spare bottle of whiskey stashed. "Was your mission successful?"

"I think so," Kirk said. "But even if it wasn't a total success, it still was something I needed to do."

"Well, that's not in the least bit cryptic," McCoy grumbled. "Are you going to tell me what the hell you just said to Uhura?"

Kirk laughed, obviously in higher spirits than he had been earlier. "Bones, you know all those embarrassing clips on the subnet? Well, they're gone."

"What?" McCoy said, completely surprised by this seeming change of topic. "All the sex vids? How the hell did you manage that? No one even knows who runs that damned net."

"Actually, I know a few of the guys who keep a hand in it. The guy that manages the archive protocols owes me, so I talked him into deleting all the files. Starting with the clip of Uhura."

McCoy whistled in appreciation. "He must have owed you a lot to have removed some of their most popular content," McCoy marveled. "Uhura must be grateful."

"Yeah, well, she deserves better than to be embarrassed like that. They all do. It'll take a few days for all the files to disappear, but soon, all that humiliating crap will be gone."

"All of it?"

"Yeah. My god, Bones, did you know that there was a recording of me puking Romulan ale all over Professor Fairchild's desk?"

"No! How did someone get a clip of that?"

"Just a routine log file. I couldn't believe how many stupid things were in there. But, thanks to Chekov and Scotty, it will all be gone soon."

"Well, hell Jim, that's great news. Admiral Pike will be pleased, and now maybe Uhura will stop trying to sabotage your efforts to woo Miss Archer."

"Maybe. But that's not why I did it."

McCoy's eyes narrowed as he considered his friend's actions. "Well, I'll be damned," he said.

"What?"

"Someone's growing up."

Kirk stopped abruptly, clearly annoyed. "What the hell does that mean? I'm the captain of a Federation starship. Does that not signify grown up to you?"

"Hey, I know what your being captain signifies. I was there when you made your suicide run at Nero," McCoy said, "and I was there to patch you up after you saved the day. Nobody doubts your daredevil heroics. But personal maturity, now that's a whole other ballgame. I wasn't sure you had it in you, Jimbo." McCoy slapped Kirk on the arm, chuckling as he led the way into his office.

A short time later, Kirk waited impatiently outside the lift. It had been a long and disappointing day. He still was slightly miffed at McCoy for his stupid comments about maturity. Eager to put it all behind him, he strode into the lift as soon as the doors opened, realizing, too late, that he was about to slam into someone who was trying to exit. Just before impact, he registered with dismay that it was Lea. Quickly, he grabbed her arm to help her regain her balance.

"Ow!"

"Oh, god, I'm sorry! Are you okay?" he exclaimed.

"Uh, yeah," Lea replied, slightly dazed from the impact and surprised to once again be face-to-face with Jim Kirk. Her head hurt, and she was sleepy. She still was a little tipsy, and after the excruciatingly long day, she felt dead to the anxiety that normally would have filled her at the sight of him. Is this day ever going to end? she wondered with a heavy sigh.

The door to the lift started to close, so Kirk hurried inside, blocking Lea in with him. "Deck five," he said. Lea started to protest, but he didn't give her a chance. "So, how was your first day on board the Enterprise?" he asked.

"Well, it was a hell of a lot different than I expected," she replied disgustedly, then she froze, eyes going wide as she realized the inappropriateness of her comment. Oh, damn! That wasn't exactly a regulation response! She looked at Kirk nervously, and was relieved at his surprised bark of laughter.

"Yeah, I bet this was a bit different than you had anticipated. I'm afraid this day hasn't gone according to plan for any of us," he said sheepishly. "I hope tomorrow will be a bit smoother."

The lift door swooshed open, and Kirk stepped aside, holding it open for her. "Are you getting off here?"

"No, actually, I think needed to get off at that last stop."

"Oh!" Kirk winced, embarrassed again, as he realized that her quarters were located on the deck they had just left. "Of course. I'm sorry. First I run over you, then I highjack your lift. Can I help you find your way back?"

"Oh, no!" Lea blurted. "I'm sure I can find my way."

Kirk laughed at her obvious rebuttal. Even though she was turning him down, at least a bit of her true personality was showing through, and he liked it. "Okay then, you're on your own," he said with an indulgent grin. "Good night, Miss Archer."

Once again, he held her gaze for as long as possible. Just as the lift doors sealed shut, he instructed the computer: "Deck twelve."

Lea felt his amusement wash over her, then the lift whooshed her away. "I knew that!" she grumbled to herself, but then she smiled, simply glad to be heading toward the correct deck.

« Last Edit: Tue, May 18, 2010, 10:54 AM by Bitten »

Offline Furyan Goddess

• Supreme VXer
« Reply #51 on: Tue, May 18, 2010, 09:24 AM »
yeah, you posted it.  I really liked the interchange w/ Uhura.. it really explained a lot and help ease some of the tension.  Poor Lea, she's got no idea what she's in for on this ship.  She think she should act all proper.. only Spock does that lol.

Great update.. it's fun to see these two bumping in to each other and just lost like a couple of school kids w/ a crush. 

Offline ban sidhe

• Supreme VXer
  • one day at a time
    • Facebook
« Reply #52 on: Tue, May 18, 2010, 09:57 AM »
Excellent chappie, hon!  Loved Uhuru making Kirk squirm!  and Lea oh so gently telling off
those catty bitches.  Beautiful!  Now, what sneaky plot does he have up his sleeve? :-*

Offline Bitten

• Space Babe
  • Administrator
  • Supreme VXer
  • Huh?
« Reply #53 on: Tue, May 18, 2010, 01:02 PM »
like a couple of school kids

Thanks FG. I had a lot of trouble writing that part.

Loved Uhuru making Kirk squirm!

Thanks ban! I had fun with that. I think I'm enjoying Uhura more than Lea at this point. :)  I really hope I can wrap this damn thing up soon. *lol*

Offline paulmtk

• Supreme VXer
« Reply #54 on: Wed, May 19, 2010, 12:05 PM »
Wonderful Update!!  The whole exchange between Kirk and Uhura; priceless!  I was with Uhura trying to figure out Kirk's angle and if he was really sincere; awesome!

Female cattiness, just can't ever get away from it even on a Starship!  Lea is certainly setting the record straight with her feelings on the matter and making friends along the way!  Think Uhura and Autumn will be better comrades in arms than Tessa, Janice and Ronnie  ;D

But personal maturity, now that's a whole other ballgame. I wasn't sure you had it in you, Jimbo."

Your dialogue between McCoy and Kirk are right on  :rule  can easily see/hear their friendly exchanges!

Isn't always the way, the one you most want to avoid, is the one you always seem to run into??!!  Should be a very interesting mission for Lea and Jim  :evillol

Offline Bitten

• Space Babe
  • Administrator
  • Supreme VXer
  • Huh?
« Reply #55 on: Wed, May 19, 2010, 04:25 PM »
Thank you! I'm glad the dialogue is working out okay. The conversations between Kirk/McCoy/Spock were always my favorite part of TOS. :)

Offline NorthernLights

• Administrator
  • Supreme VXer
  • Packing up and moving out
« Reply #56 on: Mon, Apr 01, 2013, 02:19 PM »

Offline Montgomery Burns 13

• Villain
  • Global Moderator
  • Supreme VXer
  • Every hero needs a formidable villain
« Reply #57 on: Tue, Apr 02, 2013, 11:33 AM »
I re-read the whole story, and I am glad you decided to continue it, because it's well written and funny.

Can't wait to see where you're taking this.

Who needs love when you've got a gun, who needs love to have some fun. Black Flag
Feelings are overrated. Dean Winchester

my fanfics

Offline Bitten

• Space Babe
  • Administrator
  • Supreme VXer
  • Huh?
« Reply #58 on: Tue, Apr 02, 2013, 12:34 PM »
Thanks, Monty! I'm excited (and nervous) about finally finishing this one. :)

Offline Cyren

• Emeritus Mod
  • Supreme VXer
« Reply #59 on: Wed, Apr 24, 2013, 05:42 AM »
Very well written B! You've done an excellent job of capturing the 'voice' of the main character! Can't waits read more!

HarborA SpyChix Story
Hatari A SpyChix Story
Scar Tissue Taylor
Beauty From Ashes Sean