Author Topic: [Star Trek 2009] A Perfect Universe [NC-17] 12/?  (Read 1209 times)

Offline Bitten

• Space Babe
  • Administrator
  • Supreme VXer
  • Huh?
[Star Trek 2009] A Perfect Universe [NC-17] 12/?
« on: Tue, Dec 01, 2009, 05:11 AM »
Author: Bitten
Title: A Perfect Universe
Fandom: Star Trek 2009 AU
Rating: NC-17 for language and graphic het sex (eventually)
Pairing: Kirk and OFC
Feedback: Encouraging comments are welcome! I also am interested in improving my writing, so please provide any constructive criticism via PM. If you say anything really mean to me, I'll send the Borg after you.
Archive: Only at VX and ff.net, nowhere else.

Author's notes: Thanks to FuryanGoddess for all the encouragement and support, the ideas and the beta. I wouldn't have attempted this without her bad influence. She also made my Kirk siggie and tweaked the header pic for me. Thanks babe! And thanks also to Janine, Pamela and Princess Silence for beta. You guys rock.

Disclaimer: I do not own Kirk, Spock, Scotty, Uhura, Sulu or anyone else from the Star Trek universe. I make no money by this and I mean no offense.  Lea Archer is my own creation, based on my silly fantasies and research from various Trek fansites. Autumn belongs to FuryanGoddess (from Human Emotions and Pon Farr), and I thank her for letting me play with her character.
Disclaimer 2: I've been a huge Trek fan ever since I was a kid, and I hate it when people foul up the established continuity. I tried to include "real" Trek elements in this story, but I probably made a few errors. If you see that I've made a mistake, please PM me. I'll fix it if I can.
Disclaimer 3: Despite my current lust for New Kirk, my 'first love' will always be Original Kirk. And Shatner still rocks!

Summary: Kirk Prime shared company with many women over the years, but he never truly fell in love. The Enterprise was the object of his obsession; no woman could ever capture his passion the way the starship did. But in this new, alternate universe, can Kirk find a love to rival the Enterprise?

A Perfect Universe

Chapter 1

Starfleet Headquarters, San Francisco

"An' another thing," Scotty said. "These beer nuts are great! Food is definitely better Earthside."

Bones held up his drink in salute to Earthside bar food, while Kirk shook his head and ordered another drink.

"Gentlemen, are you saying the food aboard the Enterprise isn't up to your standards?" he said as he took his fresh whiskey in hand.

"Well, the Enterprise, she's a fine lass, ye know," Scotty mumbled around his mouthful of food. "Sleek, fast, full of raw power."

"But she's not equipped with beer nuts, is what I think he's trying to say," Bones continued for his friend. Kirk started to laugh but winced at the pain in his jaw.

"Ow. Damn," he mumbled, signaling the bar tender again. "Hey, can I get a glass of ice?"

"Face still hurts a wee bit, eh?" Scotty said with a cheesy grin.

"Try not to be too filled with compassion, eh, Scotty?" Kirk grumbled.

"Why don't you let me take a look at that, Jim?" Bones interrupted. "It's already turned purple. Must hurt like hell."

"I'll live," Kirk said as he wrapped an ice cube in a napkin and held it up to his face.

"You sure about that?" Bones said under his breath, surreptitiously watching someone from under a hooded brow. Kirk turned slightly to see who Bones was watching, but quickly turned back when he saw Admiral Pike enter the officer's club. Bones was right; Kirk might not live if he ran into the Admiral again today.

"Gentlemen, let's find ourselves another bar," Kirk said, downing his drink in one gulp. He grabbed a couple more ice cubes for the road and started to thread his way through the crowd, opposite the way Pike had gone.

"Wait, I nee' ta drain the weasel," Scotty said as he darted off toward the head.

"Damn it," Kirk muttered. He really needed to be gone and the sooner the better.

"Come on, Jim, we can wait for him outside. In the bushes," McCoy added in a wry voice.

"Oh, ha ha," Kirk said, but he didn't hesitate to follow his friend outside the officer's club. They found a spot near the main doors, partially secluded by trees. Starfleet Headquarters was a huge complex, with lush landscaping around the building that held the officer's club and formal ballroom. Apparently there was some big shindig going on tonight, because a stream of people in dress uniform were entering the building. Kirk risked a glance back through the huge transparent doors to see most of the well-dressed people heading for the grand ballroom.

"Wonder what's up?" he asked.

"Don't you ever pay attention, Jim?" Bones said in exasperation. "The dinner for Fleet Admiral Burke's retirement is tonight."

"Oh, yeah," Jim muttered. His jaw still hurt, and so did his leg. He absentmindedly rubbed the inside of his thigh, wishing he'd taken some pain meds.

"What, did that Andorian Ambassador hurt your leg too?" Bones said with a scowl of disapproval.

"No, it's just a pulled muscle," Kirk said, regretting the show of weakness in front of his friend.

"A pulled muscle? You mean you pulled a muscle trying to get out of there?"

"Actually, I pulled the muscle before he got there."

Bones' eyes widened at the implication. "A sex injury?"

Kirk couldn't help the sly grin, but he quickly tried to hide it.

"Jim, whatever possessed you to sleep with an Ambassador's wife?" Bones said. Kirk was a womanizing egomaniac, but he usually didn't poach married women.

"Did you see her, Bones? She looks like she's about nineteen. I honestly thought she was the Ambassador's daughter, not his wife."

"And you thought that was okay? Sex with a teenage member of an Ambassador's family?"

"Well..." Kirk didn't have an appropriate response, so he just shrugged.

"Damn it, Jim, it's a wonder Pike didn't kick you out of Starfleet. You do realize that someone shot video of you and the Ambassador's wife? It's all over the subnet. And of all the places for an illicit affair, did you have to do it on the balcony?"

"It's on the subnet?" Kirk asked. There was just a hint of pride in his voice, which McCoy quickly squashed. "Yeah, including the scene where Ambassador Gnash punched your lights out."

Kirk rubbed his jaw again and muttered, "Lucky shot."

"Well, your hands were a bit, um, full, at that particular moment," Bones said. He tried to maintain his serious glare, but an amused grin tugged at his mouth. His life had certainly not been dull since that fateful day when he met James T. Kirk on the shuttle from Earth.

Both men finally laughed out loud, despite Kirk's wincing, when a few more people hurried past to join the festivities in the ballroom. It was starting to rain, adding extra speed to their steps.

"Where the hell is Scotty?" Kirk complained. "I really shouldn't be here right now. Pike ordered me directly back to the ship."

"Oh, you know how Scotty is. Probably got sidetracked by some pretty girl."

"Or some pretty sandwich," Kirk replied. "Hey, that reminds me, I've been meaning to ask you --

His words trailed off as he stared at two people approaching the building. They were moving quickly through the rain, sharing a large black umbrella. The man was older, wearing a Starfleet dress uniform. Kirk didn't recognize him, but he wasn't looking at the man anyway. He was struck dumb by the woman with him.

She had long legs, framed by black high heels and a short black skirt. His eyes followed her legs all the way up, past her petite waist to her breasts, where he couldn't help but focus his gaze. 'Magnificent' was the only word he could think of; firm, almost gravity-defying, but not too big. He sucked in a hoarse breath as he heard her laugh at something the man said, his eyes finally drawn to her face. Light blonde hair, full lips, and slightly slanted eyes. Her features were almost delicate, but her sparkle of ... life, for lack of a better word, belied the illusion of delicacy.

She was the most beautiful woman he had ever seen, and he could do nothing but stare. A tiny drop of water splashed onto his pant leg as the couple passed; he heard her laugh again and then they were gone, lost among the crowd that was milling inside the building.

"That asshole," Bones said. "He could at least have apologized for splashing water on us."

"Who was that?" Kirk said, still staring after the woman, hoping to catch another glimpse of her in the crowd.

"I don't know," Bones replied while brushing the dampness off his uniform. He suddenly glanced up at his friend. Suspicion clear in his voice, he said, "Why?"

"That girl..." Kirk's words trailed off again.

"Damn it, Jim! Not again! You haven't even recovered from last night's fiasco. This is not the place or time to be chasing another skirt!"

"Especially that skirt!" Scotty said as he slid into the tree-lined overhang with his friends.

"Don't underestimate me, gentlemen," Kirk said as he took a stride toward the entrance, but Scotty grabbed his arm and jerked him back into the darkness of the trees.

"It's no' that, Jim, but trust me, ye don' want ta be courting that kind o' trouble!" Scotty continued in a hushed voice.

"What? Why?" Kirk was annoyed at being sidetracked.

"Don' ya know who she is, lad?" Scotty's accent grew even thicker as his agitation increased. "It's Admiral Archer's niece!"

Kirk quirked a brow at this announcement, but McCoy was the first to respond. "If she was Archer's niece, she'd be a hell of a lot older."

Scotty rolled his eyes in exasperation. "All right, all right, great-niece if you prefer. Let me repeat that: Admiral Archer's great-niece. You don' need ta be bringing any more trouble on yourself right now, laddie."

"So what if she's related to the old guy?" Kirk said belligerently and took another step toward the building.

"So what?!" Scotty said, almost apoplectic now. "So what? Do you remember what he did to me? That crazy old bastard transferred me to that outpost on Delta Vega, in the freezin' cold with hardly any fewd and no one fer comp'ny!"

"Uh, wasn't that after you used his pet beagle in a risky transporter experiment?" Bones said.

"See! He's a spiteful old thing! Standin' in the way of military science! And what do ye think he'll do to ye if he finds video of ye sporking his favorite niece?"

"Ah, he's got a point there, Jim," Bones agreed.

Kirk didn't hesitate. "He's not going to do anything to me. I just want to talk to her." He nimbly avoided his friends' hands as they tried to intercept him, making a fast break for the entrance to the building. He could see the girl inside, near the grand ballroom. If he hurried, he could catch up to her before she went in. Limping slightly from the pulled muscle in his thigh, he made his way through the crowd. When he got close enough, he started to call out to her, realizing belatedly that he didn't know her name.

"Uh, excuse me!" he half-shouted over the heads of the well-dressed Starfleet elite.

She hesitated, looking back into the crowd. Kirk caught her eye and waved, so she'd know he was indeed talking to her. Her brow furrowed as if she were puzzled, so he started to call out to her again, when his view was suddenly blocked by a very large Starfleet security uniform.

"Excuse me, sir, but Admiral Pike has requested your attention," the guard said in a monotone. He motioned to the side of the room, where Pike waited with a nasty glare on his face.

Kirk took one last look into the crowd, but the girl was gone and the guard now had a second standing next to him. Heaving an annoyed sigh, he turned smartly and approached Admiral Pike. He saluted, waiting for what he assumed would be another bawling out.
« Last Edit: Tue, May 21, 2013, 01:33 PM by Bitten »

Offline Furyan Goddess

• Supreme VXer
  • "There will be no shots" ~ Johns
    • http://www.fanfiction.net/u/818825/
Re: [Star Trek 2009] A Perfect Universe [NC-17] 1/8
« Reply #1 on: Tue, Dec 01, 2009, 05:31 AM »
Oh YEAH, you posted.  I was wondering if you were gonna put this  up today or not.

You know I love it!  Kirk is gonna have one hell of a time w/ this one :D  Woot Whoot!  YEAH

Me??? A bad influence?  You started this.  I also have to say that the resulting yumminess makes me a good influence~!

Listening to the new Star Trek book, it really shows how much Kirk loves the Enterprise and how much he lusted after her.  It's gonna be fun to see if a woman can compete with that.  It's gonna be a fun ride!  Can't wait to read more!

Thanks to Sil for siggie!

Offline Bitten

• Space Babe
  • Administrator
  • Supreme VXer
  • Huh?
« Reply #2 on: Tue, Dec 01, 2009, 09:01 AM »
Thank you! I can't tell you how much I appreciate your help with this. It's gonna be fun!!

Offline Janine

• Administrator
  • Supreme VXer
  • Out of my mind. Back in 5 minutes!
    • MySpace
    • Facebook
    • Twitter
    • VinXperience
« Reply #3 on: Wed, Dec 02, 2009, 12:10 PM »
If you say anything really mean to me, I'll send the Borg after you.

In case I never mentioned it - I love your humor! :D
Bones held up his drink in salute to Earthside bar food, while Kirk shook his head and ordered another drink.

The whole scene is so vivid before my inner eye, I can see them all sitting there, foolin' around, talking - it's like I'm watching a Star Trek movie! Oh, hey...  You know, you should probably make sure the ST script writers won't be  "borrowing" from you. :eyes:
"I'll live,"

Stubborn and proud. So typical!
"Come on, Jim, we can wait for him outside. In the bushes,"

*lol* And so typical for Bones! Did I ever mention how much I actually loved Karl Urban playing him? But of course Bones Prime is a highlight too!
"A sex injury?"

I'm trying to imagine what Kirk has done to have a muscle pulled! O.o' *lol*
"Jim, whatever possessed you to sleep with an Ambassador's wife?"

Ooooooooooookay, now that explains everything!
including the scene where Ambassador Gnash punched your lights out."

*snorks* :giggle
"Hey, that reminds me, I've been meaning to ask you --

For what? Slash? *both Kirk and Bones glare at Janine* Sorry, I'll shut up now....
"So what?!" Scotty said, almost apoplectic now.

Coooool! I just learned a new word. Thanks! :D And I can totally see why Scotty loves Archer so much. You're btw doing a fab job with his accent, babe!
"Excuse me, sir, but Admiral Pike has requested your attention,"

Kirk should've seen that one coming, shouting halfway through the room. Men and their hormones, they're blind for everything else when they're horny.

I love it, B, very much! I wasn't only able to read a great piece of fiction, I was even able to really watch it in my head as if it were a movie; you managed to bring each of the characters and the whole scenery to life in my head. And I always say that people who can do that possess a great talent for writing! ;) I love your style, I love the story you've set up, I dig the peeps - I can only hope it won't take you too long to post chapter 2! :hugs
« Last Edit: Wed, Dec 23, 2009, 06:48 AM by Bitten »

Offline Bitten

• Space Babe
  • Administrator
  • Supreme VXer
  • Huh?
« Reply #4 on: Wed, Dec 02, 2009, 02:09 PM »
Thanks for reading and commenting J! I've been having so much fun working on these stories with FG. I never would have been brave enough to attempt a Trek fic with the original guys because I idolized them so much. This new cast is so hot, it's hard to not get sucked in!

I doubt that there will be any Kirk/Bones slash in this story...but I hope to talk Tracy into some Spock/Kirk action some day. :giggle

Offline Bitten

• Space Babe
  • Administrator
  • Supreme VXer
  • Huh?
Re: [Star Trek 2009] A Perfect Universe [NC-17] 2/?
« Reply #5 on: Fri, Dec 04, 2009, 06:41 AM »
Thanks to FuryanGoddess for the continuing bad influence!

Chapter 2

Leonard "Bones" McCoy took a deep breath to steady his nerves. He hated space travel. It didn't bother him so much when he was inside a huge starship, but these small shuttles left him feeling so exposed. Being a doctor only made the situation worse because he knew, in excruciating detail, what would happen to the human body if there was a hull breach, or if the atmospheric control computer was miscalibrated by even a hairsbreadth. Sometimes ignorance was bliss, and right now he wished he were more ignorant of the many ways in which a body could explode in space. He glanced at his companions to see if they showed any sign of space sickness, but of course, they didn't.

In fact, Scotty looked like a kid at a carnival. Craning his neck to take in the entire expanse of the view port, he was grinning from ear to ear. It was no secret that the engineer loved starships. He would take any opportunity to talk about the Enterprise's engines, the intricacies of the warp core, or the revolutionary new materials that made up the ship's hull. McCoy often felt like his eyes would glaze over if he had to listen to Scotty go on about it any longer. Right now, though, Scotty wasn't talking; he was simply enjoying the view of Starbase One and the multiple ships that waited in spacedock. The Enterprise was on the far side of the station, so the shuttle had to pass several other ships before it reached their destination.

McCoy shifted his view to observe Kirk. He was pleased to see that the bruise on his friend's face had already faded. It took a while to talk Kirk into letting McCoy treat the bruise, but the argument that the crew didn't need to see such blatant evidence of their Captain's brawl had finally convinced him. That, and Admiral Pike's admonition to "stop screwing around and see to your reputation."

The shuttle passed by the Defiant, which was in spacedock for a refitting. Scotty was watching the external technicians intently while Kirk looked vaguely bored. As they left the Defiant behind, the Enterprise finally came into view. McCoy was struck by the sudden change in Kirk's demeanor.

"Woul' ye look at that," Scotty murmured with pride in his voice. "She's a damn sight prettier'n that old scrapheap Defiant."

Kirk nodded in agreement, but the expression on his face didn't mirror the chief engineer's goofy grin. Kirk's gaze was intense, all-consuming. It was as if he had forgotten his companions on the shuttle, with eyes only for his ship. McCoy's eyebrow rose as he watched the captain, his own space-sickness momentarily forgotten.

Kirk subtly leaned forward, closer to the view port. Closer to the Enterprise, McCoy thought. Then Kirk turned to completely face the window, blocking the other men from seeing his face as they got closer to the ship. It's like he doesn't want us to intrude on some personal moment, Bones thought with a scowl.

In his role as Chief Medical Officer, it was McCoy's duty to see after not only the physical well-being of the crew, but their mental health as well. He'd been keeping an eye on Kirk's peculiar attachment to his ship for quite some time now. Of course, this syndrome was not completely unheard-of in starship captains; the newly-promoted occasionally developed unhealthy fixations on their ships, often to the exclusion of serious romantic relationships. Psychology circles were always abuzz with the newest theory for treating this syndrome, but luckily, the infatuation usually diminished over time.

Jim Kirk, however, seemed to be the exception. His obsession with his ship was not diminishing; if anything, it was becoming more pronounced. He certainly didn't avoid romantic entanglements, as many afflicted captains did, but he wasn't forming any meaningful long-term relationships either. But then, he was always a Tom cat, McCoy thought wryly, remembering Kirk's many escapades back at the academy, well before he had inherited command of the Enterprise. Maybe his natural horn-dog tendencies are making the problem worse, he thought.

The shuttle changed course to connect with the docking bay, providing McCoy with a view of Kirk's reflection in the view screen. He wasn't surprised by the hunger in Jim's eyes as he gazed on his ship. He stared at it, like a ... like a jealous lover, Bones thought. He wondered if Scotty would notice the captain's lust-filled gaze, but as usual, Scotty was jabbering about some technical doodad.

As soon as the docking sequence was complete, Kirk was the first off the shuttle. "Thank you for the company, gentlemen, it was fun," he said in his usual jaunty tone as he made his way from the shuttle bay. McCoy couldn't help but notice Kirk's hand, the way he casually touched the bulkhead as he exited. It seemed like a lover's caress.

I need to keep an eye on this, McCoy thought as he made his way to medlab to do some research.

That evening, ship's time, Kirk and his fellow bridge officers had dinner with two new crew members that had come onboard while the ship was in port. The long-established tradition of first-night's dinner at the Captain's Table was a source of anxiety for new staff, and often, tedium for the bridge officers. Tonight was no exception to the rule, and even Kirk was secretly glad when the final course was over.

McCoy noted that Kirk was a bit subdued, which was unusual. Kirk usually played it up for new crew members.

"You seemed a bit distracted tonight," he said as he moved his chess piece.

"Hmmm? Oh. Sorry," he said, absentmindedly sliding his own piece across the board. He didn't say anything further, so McCoy stopped pushing. After a few more moves, McCoy realized he was going to win. "What the hell is wrong with you, Jim? You letting me win?"

Kirk focused his eyes on the chess board, slightly surprised to see that he was indeed losing, then grinned. "I thought you could use an ego boost."

"You're a thoughtful and gracious captain," Bones said with his usual scowl. He started pulling the pieces from the board while waiting for Kirk's inevitable wiseass reply, but none came. Bones' expression deepened with concern, but he was interrupted before he could say anything.

"Evenin' gentlemen, mind if I jump in?" Scotty said.

"By all means, Mr. Scott, take my place. I'm not in the mood for chess tonight anyway," McCoy said. He cast a glance at Kirk, expecting to hear some jibe, but Jim remained quiet, so he moved his chair aside and picked up his comm pad. It was turned on to a psychology journal.

"If ye don' mind me sayin' so, Doctor, ye need a better hobby," Scotty said as he pulled up a chair.

"What?" McCoy said in surprise.

"Well, ye spend all yer time readin' journals and doing research, and working. Ye need somethin' to get yer mind off work for a bit."

Kirk finally seemed to be paying attention to the conversation. "Yeah, Bones, you need to take up painting or knitting or something."

McCoy glared at his friends. "I'll have you both know that I am an excellent fly-fisherman. There's no better hobby than that."

"Yeah, but man, we live on a starship for heaven's sakes. There be no fish here!" Scotty continued.

Kirk laughed and McCoy continued to scowl while Scotty babbled about all the excellent hobbies that were possible while exploring deep space. Kirk studied the chess board for a moment and realized that he was about to lose again, so he buckled down and got serious about the game. He missed the challenge of playing against Spock, the only one on the ship who could actually beat him, but Spock's time in the crew lounge had been severely limited lately. He smiled to himself when he thought about Spock and Autumn.

As if on cue, several female crew members entered the lounge and took a small table near one of the view ports. Uhura was among them, looking sexy as ever. Scotty was immediately distracted, staring intently at them. Kirk took advantage of his inattention to maneuver toward a victory.

"Check mate," he said, leaning back in his chair.

Scotty didn't seem to care. Never taking his eyes from Lieutenant Uhura's legs, he said, "maybe the good Doctor doesn't need a hobby. Nae, what he needs is a girlfriend."

"What?" McCoy said, dragging his attention away from Uhura's tall black boots. With an annoyed tone of voice he continued, "No thank you. I've already gone that route, gentlemen, and I plan to spend the rest of my life licking my wounds and hiding."

The men all laughed and set the board up for another game, then McCoy continued, "No, I'd say the one of us who needs a girlfriend is our good captain."

"What?" Scotty and Kirk both said at the same time.

"He's already got more women than he can shake a stick at!" Scotty exclaimed. "Every time he turns around, a new girl is fallin' inta 'is bed! My god, man, don' encourage 'im! He should leave a few for the rest o' us!"

Kirk leaned back in his chair, raising his eyebrows and shrugging. Modesty was not apparent in his demeanor.

"I don't mean he should make any more questionable conquests," Bones said in a dry tone. Kirk adopted a hurt expression, but it was about as genuine as his attempt at modesty. Subconsciously glancing down at his psych journal, McCoy continued, "I mean he needs a real girlfriend. An honest-to-god long-term relationship."

Kirk's eyes widened and he opened his mouth to retaliate, but Scotty beat him to it. "Ah, bite your tongue, Doctor! Some o' us brilliant-but-homely chaps need to live vicariously through his nefarious deeds!"

"Mr. Scott," McCoy started, "which side are you on? Do you want him to stop his womanizing ways, or not?"

"Well, I don' think ya ought ta be castratin' the laddie! Let 'im have his fun!" Scotty said, before turning his gaze to Kirk. "I just wan' ye to leave a few lassies fer the like o' me!"

Kirk tried to hide his smile, but humility didn't come easy to him. Gesturing at Scotty in agreement, Kirk said, "That does seem like a rather extreme prescription, Doctor McCoy."

"I'm just saying, a real relationship, with a woman, would be good for you," McCoy continued. He took a sip of his drink while Kirk eyed him. "Be good for your reputation, too."

Kirk sighed. The subject of his reputation kept coming up lately, and it made him uncomfortable. This turn of conversation, however, did give him a perfect opportunity to ask a question he'd been contemplating all day.

"Hey, that reminds me, what did you say that girl's name was?" he asked Scotty.

"What girl?" Scotty asked.

"The one at the officer's club," he said. "Archer's niece."

Scotty's eyes bulged and he choked on his drink. "Nae, I didna tell ye her name! Stay away from that one, I'm tellin' ye!"

Kirk rolled his eyes. "Oh, come on, Mister Scott. Satisfy my idle curiosity."

"Yer curiosity is never idle," Scotty replied, shaking his finger vaguely in Kirk's direction. "An' I'm not tellin' ye her name because tha' family is dangerous!"

"Oh, come on Scotty. You might as well tell him. He's gonna find out anyway, if he really wants to know," Bones said. Kirk dipped his head in silent thanks for the support, but McCoy scowled at him. "That doesn't mean I condone this attraction, Jim. Just because I think you need a real relationship does not mean that I think you should be messing around with the former-President's family."

"Oh, yeah, I keep forgetting that he was President," Kirk said. "It was so long ago."

"Ye forget that he was President of the Federation?!" Scotty burst out. "How can ye forget a thing lie' that?"

"Well, Mr. Scott, apparently you forgot it too, or else you would have chosen to test your transporter theory on someone else's dog," Kirk said with a grin.

"Aye, laddie, you're right abou' that. Dangerous people, those Archers. That lass's name is not passin' me lips.  I'll nae be your instrument o' destruction," Scotty said solemnly. Kirk could tell he was serious because his accent was so thick that he was hard to understand now.

McCoy shook his head. He knew Kirk wouldn't be so easily deterred, and he had a sinking feeling about the possible outcome of this situation. Glancing down at the psych journal on his comm pad, he glared and stabbed at the power button. Should have kept my big mouth shut.

« Last Edit: Mon, Feb 15, 2010, 11:39 AM by Bitten, Reason: grammar error *oops* »

Offline Furyan Goddess

• Supreme VXer
« Reply #6 on: Fri, Dec 04, 2009, 06:58 AM »
I love Kirk's love for his ship. He covets it, obsesses over it.  It's his woman, his lover.  It's all he needs... He really needs to find a woman, really.  Can he find a woman and not fuck it up?  That's the question.  

Bones is so caustic, I love it and I LOVE your Scotty's accent.  His eyes are gonna get him in trouble some day.

Very good chappie, I can't wait until Kirk finally meets some leggy blonde!

Offline Bitten

• Space Babe
  • Administrator
  • Supreme VXer
  • Huh?
« Reply #7 on: Fri, Dec 04, 2009, 08:10 AM »
Thanks Tracy. I've been really worried about Scotty's accent. I keep rewriting his stuff because my first draft sounds more like a hobbit.  :hugs

Offline paulmtk

• Supreme VXer
  • Builidng a door so opportunity can knock!!
« Reply #8 on: Fri, Dec 04, 2009, 11:55 AM »
Just found this one and gotta say I can easily see this happening; very descriptive without being overdone.

BTW, love your siggy Bitten!  :dream those eyes!

Offline Bitten

• Space Babe
  • Administrator
  • Supreme VXer
  • Huh?
« Reply #9 on: Fri, Dec 04, 2009, 01:08 PM »
Thank you! I'm glad you're reading. I hope to get to some nice smut soon.

All credit for the siggie goes to FuryanGoddess. She really did a great job enhancing that photo. I've been continuously drooling since she made it for me! BTW, you should check out her Pon Farr fic too, cause they're sort of interrelated.
« Last Edit: Wed, Dec 23, 2009, 06:49 AM by Bitten »

Offline Furyan Goddess

• Supreme VXer
« Reply #10 on: Fri, Dec 04, 2009, 01:10 PM »
Thanks, Bitten. Also, I didn't realized that I didn't highlight Kirk's eyes in your ava.  Would you like me to do that?

Offline Bitten

• Space Babe
  • Administrator
  • Supreme VXer
  • Huh?
« Reply #11 on: Fri, Dec 04, 2009, 01:44 PM »
Okay! But don't stop writing to do it. I want to see your next chapter...

And damn, that pic is so hot with the blue eyes. His publicity peeps ought to hire you.

Offline Janine

• Administrator
  • Supreme VXer
  • Out of my mind. Back in 5 minutes!
    • MySpace
    • Facebook
    • Twitter
    • VinXperience
« Reply #12 on: Mon, Dec 07, 2009, 11:24 AM »
Quote from: Bitten
because my first draft sounds more like a hobbit

You know, Master Yoda would actually be more disturbing. :giggle

I'll shut up and leave feedback... *tiptoes off to chapter 2*

he wished he was more ignorant of the many ways a body could explode in space

Well, thank you, Dr. McCoy, you just made space travel all the more appealing for me! *lol*
The Enterprise was on the far side of the station, so the shuttle had to pass several other ships before it reached their destination.

This is probably the equivalent of a good porn flick for Scotty! :laughter
often to the exclusion of serious romantic relationships

Wow! I doubt that'll happen to Kirk but hey, some time spent in celibacy might actually be a good thing for him too. And now I'm trying to picture him humping the warp core together with Scotty.  :goofy
He wondered if Scotty would notice the captain's lust-filled gaze

I'm surprised there isn't a similar gaze in Scotty's eyes, but maybe it's because Kirk's going to be the Captain while Scotty is not.
"I thought you could use an ego boost."

He's going to see right through you anyway, Jim.
"maybe the good Doctor doesn't need a hobby. Nae, what he needs is a girlfriend."

Yeppers. :D
"Every time he turns around, a new girl is fallin' inta 'is bed! My god, man, don' encourage 'im! He should leave a few for the rest o' us!"

OMG! :laughter Scotty, you're cracking me up so much! No one but you would dare say that to Kirk. In public!
"Be good for your reputation, too."

Just rub it in. :laughter
"Well, Mr. Scott, apparently you forgot it too, or else you would have chosen to test your transporter theory on someone else's dog," Kirk said with a grin.

Well, he's got a point there... :giggle

I have to be honest; though I love Star Trek dearly, I've never watched that many episodes of TOS. I can, however, honestly say that judging by the episodes I've seen, the interaction between Kirk, Scotty and Bones reads as if it's been taken right out of an original script. I also adore the way you were able to put Kirk's love for the Enterprise in words, I was able to really relate to his feelings. And yippieh! He's still interested in Archer's niece. I can't wait to read how the story will go on! :hugs
« Last Edit: Wed, Dec 23, 2009, 06:51 AM by Bitten »

Offline Bitten

• Space Babe
  • Administrator
  • Supreme VXer
  • Huh?
« Reply #13 on: Tue, Dec 08, 2009, 07:29 AM »
Master Yoda would actually be more disturbing

Wow, there is no way I could write Yoda's speech pattern. It annoys me! I thought it was cute in ROTJ, but now that he has a bigger part in the Clone Wars, it just seems disruptive. Oops, back to topic. *lol*

The Enterprise was on the far side of the station, so the shuttle had to pass several other ships before it reached their destination.

This is probably the equivalent of a good porn flick for Scotty!

It's like a good porn flick for a lot of Trek fans. I think they manage to get one of the beauty shots of the exterior of Enterprise in most movies, and I LOVE it!

I doubt that'll happen to Kirk

The thing that's always struck me about Kirk is that he never seemed to stay interested in one woman for very long, but he was always devoted to the Enterprise and all that being captain entailed.

Thanks for the comments, J. I'm glad you're reading this, even though I know you are way too busy to take the time out of your schedule. *hugs*

Offline Bitten

• Space Babe
  • Administrator
  • Supreme VXer
  • Huh?
Re: [Star Trek 2009] A Perfect Universe [NC-17] 3/?
« Reply #14 on: Tue, Dec 08, 2009, 10:42 AM »
Continuing thanks to FG for everything!

Chapter 3

There you are, Kirk smiled in satisfaction. He hadn't been able to get the girl's face out of his mind since he had seen her last night. Even though he'd only caught a brief glance, she'd haunted his thoughts ever since, keeping him in an almost-continuous state of arousal. Her lips, her hair, her legs... He kept hearing her laugh, and it practically set his blood on fire.

Damn Pike, he thought. I would have had her, if he hadn't interrupted.

It had been fairly easy to track her down; all he had to do was run a quick search on "Admiral Jonathan Archer's Family" and then sort through the various entries. He laughed about Scotty's refusal to tell him the girl's name.  Of course, he knew Bones and Scotty were right; it was indeed dangerous to be lusting after former-President Archer's niece. But, truth be told, their admonitions only made him more determined. Besides, she was breathtaking. He studied her holo image a bit longer, then scanned the rest of the file on his computer:

United Federation of Planets
Personnel File
Civilian Diplomatic Department

Name:  Lea Joan Archer
Current Position: Non-Human Specialist
Current Assignment: Starfleet HQ, San Fransisco. Assistant coordinator of proposed First-Contact Diplomatic Relations Program, under direction of Admiral Christopher Pike.
Previous Assignments: Alien diplomacy, Starbase 12; Alien diplomacy aid, Starfleet HQ.
Education: Ph.D. in Non-Human Culture and Development, University of California at Stanford. M.S. in Advanced Computing, University of California at Berkeley.
Distinction: Commendation for merit, recommended by Commodore Alonzo, Starbase 12.

Interesting background. Wonder why she didn't go to the Academy? Kirk mused. The Federation had almost as many civilian employees as it had military personnel, but the real career opportunities were within Starfleet. This girl - Lea - obviously had some accomplishments under her belt, but...  Why on the civilian side?

He studied her profile a bit more, curious about her line of work. He knew that the Federation had many Non-Human Specialists to help guide relations with newly-discovered alien races, but they usually worked at established colonies or back at HQ on Earth. Their job was to help build solid relationships with promising alien species, with the goal of bringing more members into the Federation.

Intrigued, he ran a search on "proposed First-Contact Diplomatic Relations Program" in the Starfleet database. He had to provide his ID to access the files, but apparently his level of clearance was sufficient, because the requested files opened almost immediately. He glanced through the documents quickly, noting that the program was experimental and was not yet underway. Then something caught his eye: "placement of Non-Human Specialists on deep-space exploration vessels to assist with First-Contact situations."

"What the hell?" Kirk blurted out loud. "They can't be serious. Putting civilians on the bridge?"

Annoyed at the very thought of some outsider telling him what to do on his own ship, he continued reading, seeing that Commodore Alonzo had endorsed the proposal. Kirk knew Alonzo, knew that he wouldn't approve of something like this unless it had merit. Still not convinced, however, he read Alonzo's report, paying particular attention to his conclusion:

"The Non-Human Specialist (NHS) performed admirably, providing insight and guidance that prevented the loss of both personnel and physical resources. The NHS's unique knowledge and skills are not duplicated among the station's staff. I recommend folding this position into our deep space missions."

"Huh," Kirk said. "What's so special that we don't already have in Starfleet?"

He clicked on the file that was attached to the Commodore's report, and sat back to watch, fully expecting to be underwhelmed. What he saw surprised him. It was a log file of the command center of the Starbase, in the middle of a red alert. Commander Derkson was attempting to communicate with a nasty-looking alien, whose spiny face dominated the view screen. No one could understand the alien's words, but Kirk thought he seemed pissed.

A subset appeared at the bottom right corner of the screen, featuring the base's communications officer as well as a now-familiar face: Lea Archer. The comm officer's fingers were flying over the various computer screens in front of him, and he was obviously struggling to keep up. Lea also was manipulating various computer screens while listening intently to the noises coming out of the universal translator. Obviously, they hadn't heard enough of the alien's language to fully translate it yet.

Derkson's voice raised in pitch, as if yelling at the alien would help it to understand him better. Dick, Kirk thought. The alien seemed to agree with Kirk's assessment, as sensors lit up all over the command center; the alien had armed his weapons. Tension increased visibly as everyone realized that the alien ship was about to fire on the Starbase.

In the subset, Kirk saw Lea pound on her instrument panel with her fist. She abruptly turned to the comm officer, listening intently to the attempted translations, then she turned to the commander. "He's trying to protect his son. He's saying 'new first born.' His species conducts a ritual hunt to ensure the well-being of their babies. We need to give him room!"

Kirk was immediately struck by two things: first, Lea's voice was sexy as hell. Second, she seemed absolutely certain of her recommendation. She showed no hesitation, even though her instrument panel was obviously unable to keep up with the dynamic situation. The comm officer looked at her as if she had lost her mind, but Lea wasn't deterred.

"How the hell can you say that, Miss Archer? We know nothing of this species!" Derkson said.

Dickhead, don't take your eye off the alien with the big gun, Kirk thought with a disgusted sneer. No wonder this situation got so far out of hand.

"The ship design, as well as the alien's physical appearance, is similar to another species from this quadrant. Their vocal patterns are different, but the root language seems the same," Lea said vehemently. She looked to the comm officer, who reluctantly nodded confirmation. Then Lea continued, "with so many commonalities, it seems likely that their religious rituals would be similar as well. If so, he'll do whatever it takes to protect his son, and we're interfering." It was impossible to doubt her word with such a look of sheer conviction on her face. Derkson sat back in his chair.

"What do you suggest? You might know what he's doing, but I don't think he's in the mood to wait until we get the universal translator online."

"Take our weapons off him," Lea replied. "If he sees that we're not on the verge of attacking him, he'll go on with his quest."

Derkson contemplated for a moment, then he ordered the shields at full strength before telling the weapons officer to drop the lock on the alien vessel. Everyone on the station held their breath for a tense moment, then the alien spoke a few undecipherable words and warped out of sight. The file ended there.

Kirk stared at the screen for a moment, then backed up the log to watch it again. Grudgingly, he had to admit that the situation would have ended badly if someone hadn't figured out the alien's true goals. The comm officer seemed to be doing an admirable job with the linguistics, and almost had the universal translator updated in time to help, but... Almost isn't good enough, Kirk thought. No, it was the knowledge of the alien's culture, and their distant relatives' ritual practices that tipped the scales in Starfleet's favor. Simply understanding their language wouldn't have been enough.

Something else struck him about the situation; he couldn't put his finger on it, but something tugged at him. He watched the log yet again, this time focusing on the intensity in Lea's face. When she spoke about the father protecting his son, she seemed so earnest, as if this situation affected her on a personal level. Her words seemed almost...familiar. Whatever it takes to protect his son.

Kirk abruptly reached for his communication console and put in a transmission to Admiral Pike. While he waited for the Admiral to come online, he wondered what exactly he was going to say.

He won't just give her to me. There's gotta be a good reason, he mused. Pike's image suddenly resolved on the screen, more quickly than Kirk would have liked. Admirals usually kept him waiting a bit longer.

"Good to see that bruise on your face is gone," Pike said in greeting.

"Good evening, Admiral," Kirk said in his most formal manner.

"Uh oh. You're acting like a real officer. What the hell are you up to?" Pike said.

"Sir, I wanted to talk with you about the new First-Contact Diplomatic Relations Program."

Pike's eyebrows rose in surprise. "How do you even know about that, Jim?"

"The subject, uh, came up while I was planetside. I've been reading up on it, and I'd like to submit the Enterprise for inclusion in the test program."

"What? You're the last person I'd expect to volunteer for this. Did you see that it involves having a civilian on your bridge?"

"Yes sir, it certainly doesn't sound very appealing at first, and I do have some doubts about the current set-up --" Pike scowled at this implied criticism, so Kirk quickly forged ahead, "but after reading Commodore Alonzo's report and studying the logs from Starbase 12, I do see some merit in the program."

"You see some...merit...in the program. After studying the logs," Pike said, looking thoughtfully at Kirk's serious face. "This doesn't, by chance, have anything to do with the NHS's long legs, does it son?"

Kirk had to bite his cheek to keep his guilty grin from erupting on his face. He knew he had to steer this conversation in another direction, and fast.  "Sir," he began, then paused dramatically. "Permission to speak freely, sir?"

"Yes, yes, Jim. Just spit it out. What's your angle on this?"

Kirk put on his best "humble" demeanor and began, "Well sir, honestly, I could use some help with alien relations. Hell, I can't seem to get along with Spock half the time, and Vulcans aren't even considered aliens anymore."

Kirk's initial difficulties with his first officer were well known; but the fact that they were now fairly close friends was not necessarily common knowledge, and Kirk was not above using that to his advantage. He could see that Pike's scowl had softened a bit, so he pushed on.

"I'm capable of handling most First-Contact situations, sir. In fact, the Enterprise is extremely well-suited for just about any new situation, but... but extra knowledge can only make us stronger. In that log from Starbase 12, I can see how Dickwad --"

"Derkson!" Pike interrupted.

Kirk stifled a groan. He'd been on a roll, but that slip of the tongue might cost him. "Sorry sir, Derkson."

Pike scowled for a heartbeat, then he said, "That's okay, son, he is a dick. Go on, what were you saying?"

Kirk allowed a grateful smile to spread across his face before he continued. "Well sir, I don't think I would have allowed the situation to get as bad as Derkson did, but after the alien locked weapons, I might have handled it the same way."

"You mean you would have yelled at him and then threatened to blast him out of the sky?"

"Well, not exactly, but I would have taken weapons to full capacity. And that seems to be the thing that escalated the situation."

"And you would have listened to a civilian? You would have accepted an outsider's advice and taken the weapons offline?"

"Um, no. I would have drawn auxiliary power to reinforce the forward shields, then I would have removed the weapons lock from the target and powered down the forward weapons array. I would have kept the aft array at full power. And I would have been annoyed that the civilian had to interrupt my focus to make her point. We need a better system for relaying her advice." Belatedly, he added, "Sir."

Pike eyed Kirk for a moment, noting that he already had considered how to integrate the NHS into his routine. "I see you've given this some thought. The whole civilian thing really doesn't bother you?"

"I'd prefer a Starfleet-trained person in this position, sir, but since that training isn't currently part of the Academy's offerings, I'll take the best option I can get."

"The best option, huh?" Pike said. "You do realize that there are seven NHSs who are fully trained and capable to take this position? Would you be happy with any of those seven?"

Kirk was caught off guard; he had been so focused on Lea that he had overlooked her colleagues in the program. The oversight cost him only a split-second, however, as he recovered at remarkable speed. "Sir, if I may, it seems to me that this new position could easily cause some conflict among the existing staff. The Communications Officer could potentially feel threatened, and as you know, my Chief of Communications is Lieutenant Uhura."

Pike nodded, so Kirk continued. "Uhura is the best in Starfleet at xenolinguistics. And she knows it. She is extremely touchy about her performance, and I think it will take someone with extraordinary interpersonal skills to work with her."

"You're right about that, Jim. We've had loads of issues with our Comm Officers feeling threatened by this. You think Uhura will have a problem too, huh?"

"It's a possibility, sir."

"And you think Lea Archer has the interpersonal skills necessary to smooth your Comm Officer's ruffled feathers?"

"More so than the other candidates, sir."  Kirk maintained a strong poker face, but he was really going out on a limb, considering he knew absolutely nothing about Lea's personality, nor did he know anything about the other candidates. But then, this wasn't the first time he'd taken a crazy gamble, and more often than not, his bets paid off.

"I still think this request is directly related to the length of Miss Archer's legs, but what the hell. I'll put the Enterprise at the top of the list."

"Thank you, sir," Kirk said, struggling to maintain his professional composure.

"Don't thank me yet," Pike said. "You know how these experimental programs are. It might take months to get all the paperwork done, and there's still a chance that the council will disapprove the final request. And then there's Miss Archer; she might refuse the assignment."

Kirk's face clouded in frustrated puzzlement. Answering the unasked question, Pike said, "Civilians can do that, you know, Jim. She might refuse."

"Who wouldn't want to be on the Enterprise?" Kirk burst out in genuine surprise. "She's the flagship! The first of her kind! We've got the best crew, the newest technology, the most distinguished service record, she's the fastest ship in the fleet and no other can match her in --"

"Whoa! Hold on, son, you don't have to convince me! Enterprise was mine before she was yours, remember?" Pike said with an indulgent laugh.

Kirk quickly reigned in his outburst, but the idea that someone might refuse the Enterprise had obviously thrown him.

"Don't worry, Jim, I doubt that a member of the Archer family could turn down Enterprise."

Kirk took a deep breath. Pike was probably right. How could Jonathan Archer's progeny turn down the chance to serve on his old ship? "Thank you, sir," Kirk said.

After signing off from his conversation with Admiral Pike, Kirk looked at Lea's personnel holo again, reaching out to brush a finger across her cheek. "You wouldn't say no to us, would you?" he asked her image.

Then, laughing at himself, he shut off his computer and stripped down to his underwear. "Lights off," he said aloud as he climbed into his bunk. "Wake me at 05:30."

"Confirmed," the ship's computer intoned.

Shutting his eyes, he conjured Lea's image again, this time with his hands tangled in her long blond hair. The arousal that he'd been fighting all day came roaring back to life; he groaned at the sudden intensity of it. Reaching down, with her recorded voice playing inside his head, he began stroking himself into oblivion.
« Last Edit: Mon, Dec 21, 2009, 05:54 PM by Bitten »

Offline Montgomery Burns 13

• Villain
  • Global Moderator
  • Supreme VXer
  • Every hero needs a formidable villain
« Reply #15 on: Tue, Dec 08, 2009, 11:07 AM »
Fuckin' awesome!  In the first two chapters, I love the banter between Kirk, Bones and Scotty.  And they're really written true to their characters.  So Kirk's gonna get a new crew member, huh? :laughter Reading your story is like watching one of those old episodes.  Keep up the good work!
Who needs love when you've got a gun, who needs love to have some fun. Black Flag
Feelings are overrated. Dean Winchester

my fanfics

Offline Bitten

• Space Babe
  • Administrator
  • Supreme VXer
  • Huh?
« Reply #16 on: Wed, Dec 23, 2009, 06:55 AM »
Thanks Monty! I loved the original series. I'm apprehensive about writing these guys, but the alternate universe setting makes it a little easier.

Offline Bitten

• Space Babe
  • Administrator
  • Supreme VXer
  • Huh?
« Reply #17 on: Wed, Dec 23, 2009, 06:55 AM »
From Janine:

I really need to do something fun before going back to work, and what would be better than reading your latest chapter? :) It bugs me that I've had to put it off for so long already.

keeping him in an almost-continuous state of arousal

*snorks* If I was mean I'd ask if that's a novelty. Kirk seems to be aroused all day anyway. :giggle
their admonitions only made him more determined

It's always like that; you're forbidden to do something and it gets all the more interesting.
Why on the civilian side?

Maybe she hates having to wear uniforms?
"They can't be serious. Putting civilians on the bridge?"

There might be coming something good out of that, Jim.
"If he sees that we're not on the verge of attacking him, he'll go on with his quest."

Yeah, listen to her and stop that "shoot first ask later" thing you've going on.
"Good to see that bruise on your face is gone," Pike said in greeting.

Who needs polite smalltalk anyway. *lol*
"The subject, uh, came up while I was planetside.

In a different form though... *lol* Pike's right in asking about the NHS's legs. :D
"You see some...merit...in the program. After studying the logs,"

Pike must think he's taken some drugs. :giggle
In that log from Starbase 12, I can see how Dickwad --

:river And Pike's reaction is priceless!
Would you be happy with any of those seven?

Hehe, Pike's got him there! :D
I still think this request is directly related to the length of Miss Archer's legs,

Dead on, Admiral. But hey, at least Kirk put some thought into the argument.
"Whoa! Hold on, son, you don't have to convince me! Enterprise was mine before she was yours, remember?"

Yeah, that's really a line I could definitely see in the movie too!
Reaching down, with her recorded voice playing inside his head, he began stroking himself into oblivion.

Aww, poor Jim! I really hope he'll have her aboard soon but somehow I have the feeling she's going to give him a hard time first... :giggle

B, that was awesome! It's so nice to see Kirk's seriously interested in a woman for a change, and that he's actually facing Pike with a well reasoned-out string of arguments why Lea should be on the Enterprise is definitely saying something. He wouldn't put so much effort into this if he was only interested in fucking her. I hope you'll have the next chapter ready soon!  :kiss

Offline Bitten

• Space Babe
  • Administrator
  • Supreme VXer
  • Huh?
« Reply #18 on: Wed, Dec 23, 2009, 06:56 AM »
From Tracy:

Sorry I haven't had a chance to review yet, but you know I love this. They way you have written Kirk and his intense interest in Lea. I can so see that. Once Kirk sets his mind to something, he is almost singular in his task. He will not stop until he gets what he wants or finishes something the way he wants to defeats who he wants.

It's really too bad that Spock is unaware of Kirk's newest obsession. I"m sure he'd have a few things to say about it lol, but he is having fun elsewhere isn't he?

It should be interesting having a civie walking around on the ship. Someone that should follow the caption's orders, but does not HAVE too. Let the games begin

Offline Bitten

• Space Babe
  • Administrator
  • Supreme VXer
  • Huh?
« Reply #19 on: Wed, Dec 23, 2009, 06:56 AM »
Quote from: Janine
Kirk seems to be aroused all day anyway.

Yeah, that's why I like him so much.  :happykiss

Quote from: Janine
Maybe she hates having to wear uniforms?

I can't imagine trying to work all day in those micro skirts and boots!  :confused

Quote from: FG
Once Kirk sets his mind to something, he is almost singular in his task

Yeah, that's another reason why I like him so much.  :happykiss  :happykiss

Quote from: FG
but he is having fun elsewhere isn't he?

Oh yah, I think Spock is having a pretty good time right about now. :D

Thanks to both of you for your comments. I am having so much fun with this story, and I really appreciate your support!

Offline Bitten

• Space Babe
  • Administrator
  • Supreme VXer
  • Huh?
Re: [Star Trek 2009] A Perfect Universe [NC-17] 4/?
« Reply #20 on: Wed, Dec 23, 2009, 07:09 AM »
Continuing thanks to FG!

Chapter 4

Yeoman Janice Rand handed the Captain the shift duty roster, which he took absentmindedly. She hesitated for a moment, waiting for his usual morning banter, but he seemed focused on his reports. Her brow furrowed, then she leaned a bit closer to him, allowing her breasts to brush against his arm. "Do you need anything else, Captain?" she asked.

"What? Oh, no. Thank you, Yeoman, that will be all."

Surprise was clear on her face, but she turned professionally and exited the bridge, her intricate blond braid bouncing as she entered the lift. Uhura made eye contact with Autumn, then both women shrugged. Even Spock eyed the captain with curiosity before turning back to his work. McCoy, however, was not so easily distracted.

"Captain, can I talk to you in private for a moment?" he said.

When they were alone in the lift, McCoy blurted out, "What the hell's the matter with you, Jim?"

"What?" Kirk asked in surprise.

"Rand! You just completely ignored her and her ample bosom. You never fail to take the opportunity to flirt with her. What's wrong with you? Are you coming down with Orion flu?"

Kirk laughed at his friend. "Bones, you're the one who's been pushing me to mend my ways. I thought you'd be pleased!"

McCoy looked at him suspiciously, but didn't reply because he was at a loss for words.

"Besides," Kirk continued in a didactic tone, "it is against Starfleet regulations for a captain to have sexual relations with his direct reports."

"That never stopped you from ogling Rand before," McCoy grumbled.

"Honestly, Doctor, you are impossible to please," Kirk said. He wore his best wiseass grin as he slid past McCoy to exit the lift.

McCoy was perplexed by Kirk's behavior all day. After consulting several psych journals, he still was unsure what to think. Had the Captain finally taken an interest in cleaning up his reputation? Or was this yet another symptom of his infatuation with the Enterprise? Surely he wasn't avoiding all women now? Never thought I'd see the day when I hoped he was still having one-night stands.

Then it hit him; Kirk hadn't given up his philandering ways, he had simply already had Yeoman Rand! The two of them had been flirting outrageously for months. They must have finally done the deed, and now that the chase is over, he's lost interest. That must be it. Old Jim "love 'em and leave 'em" Kirk strikes again.

Lots of girls back at the Academy had had their hearts broken when Kirk had moved on to more challenging women, and McCoy felt a stab of sympathy for poor Janice. Kirk probably didn't even realize he'd hurt her feelings.

I'll have to talk to him about that. Won't do to have a disgruntled Yeoman, McCoy thought, but there was a new spring in his step as he made his way to the crew lounge, where he saw his friends gathered around a three-dimensional chess board.

"Is it true then?" Scotty was saying as McCoy pulled up a chair. "Hae ye forsaken' Miss Rand? Is she available now?"

Spock turned an apathetic gaze on the Chief Engineer. "Mr. Scott, your attempts at romantic endeavors never cease to amaze me," he intoned in a dry, emotionless voice.

"Ye don' look amazed, laddie. Ye look dormant!" Scotty said, but he subtly moved his chair a bit further away from the Vulcan. Though there were no hard feelings between the men, officially, Scotty still felt nervous around Spock, especially when the subject of Autumn came up. Or any woman for that matter. He glanced nervously at the other men at the table, hoping for some back-up.

McCoy's amusement was apparent. "Why, Mr. Scott, don't tell me you're thinking of making a move on the Yeoman?" This might be just what she needs to mend her broken heart, McCoy thought.

"Well, she may need some comfortin' now that our Captain has spurned 'er," Scotty said with a happy grin. Obviously, Scotty had come to the same conclusion McCoy had regarding Kirk's sudden change in behavior toward her. "And that blonde hair, with the twisty braid? Aye, that's somethin' to light yer knickers on fire."

Spock ignored the obvious taunt; apparently, he would never live down his now-infamous "knickers" comment. Feigning disinterest in the conversation, Spock moved his chess piece, then folded his hands quietly on his lap to wait for Kirk to make his move. The game was going well, and he calculated that he would win in fewer than 15 moves. His attempt to ignore the immature conversation going on around him was somewhat unsuccessful, however, because the Captain seemed to be closely following the topic. Spock stifled a sigh; the game might take all night if his opponent was distracted, and he was ready to return to his quarters. Autumn's shift would be over soon, and he wanted to be there to greet her.

He thought perhaps it might be best to steer the conversation back to less-stimulating topics, in hopes of allowing the game to end more quickly. "Captain, as you know, I routinely scan the roster of new programs that Starfleet has flagged for field trials," he began. McCoy's eyes immediately glazed over as he mentally prepared to be bored, and Scotty's attention drifted toward the food replicator. Spock noted their inattention with satisfaction, feeling certain that everyone would lose interest in the conversation and be quiet long enough for the Captain to complete this game. He was surprised, then, when he saw the look of alarm on Kirk's face.

"Have I said something inappropriate, Jim?" Of course, at this point, both McCoy and Scotty jerked their full attention back to the conversation.

Kirk quickly hid his unease in an attempt to deflect the situation. "No, of course not, Spock. I just remembered some charts that I have to go over before tomorrow's shift. I should probably go --"

"Nuh uh, not so fast, Jimbo," McCoy said. "Spock's just caught you out in something, hasn't he? What the hell are you up to this time?"

"Nothing! Bones, I'm shocked that you'd even consider the idea! Now, I better get to those reports."

"Reports?" Scotty said. "I though' you said they were charts?"

McCoy didn't give him time to react. "Okay, Spock, spill it. What's going on?"

Spock failed to hide this sigh. Apparently, he had chosen the wrong topic to speed the game's progress. "I simply was going to mention the fact that the Enterprise has been added to the list of possible test ships for an experimental new program." He didn't elaborate further, hoping that the men would let the subject drop.

"What kind of program, Jim? Why did you want to hide it from us?" McCoy asked. "Obviously it's not classified since Spock found it in the staff logs."

Kirk shrugged. "It's a new program to bring on a crew member with advanced knowledge of the cultural development of alien species, to assist with First-Contact situations." He spoke in a monotone, then spread his hands as if to say, "see, it's no big deal."

Spock's eyebrow arched, then he added, "If I understood the log correctly, Enterprise has specifically requested a civilian Non-Human Specialist."

"A civilian?" Scotty said. "Tha' doesn' make any sense!"

McCoy nodded in agreement. "That is a damn sight odd, Jim. A civilian? And why the secrecy?"

"It's just an experimental program," Kirk said while casually twirling a chess piece in his fingers. "It might not even get final approval, and there are other ships in the running for it. I didn't see any reason to bring it up now."

"Yet," Spock began, completely unaware of Kirk's warning glare, "it is interesting to note that a member of the Archer family might someday join our crew. It would be prestigious indeed to secure this program for Enterprise. I congratulate you on your foresight, Captain. And," he nodded to the chess board, "it is your move."

"What?" McCoy exploded, standing up from the table so quickly that his chair fell over, scattering the chess pieces across the board. Scotty's exclamation sounded immediately after McCoy's, but it was practically indecipherable.

"You requested Archer's niece to join us here? On the Enterprise?" McCoy exclaimed. "Jim, are you out of your cotton-pickin' mind?"

"Shh!" Kirk growled, indicating the other tables full of people in the crew lounge. He glared at his friends until they calmed down and took their seats again.

Spock groaned inwardly, glancing at the disrupted chess board. "I am sorry, Captain, I did not know that you wished to keep this to yourself."

"It's okay, Spock," Kirk said. "They would have found out about it soon anyway."

"I do not understand the problem," Spock stated.

"The problem is that he's been lusting after Archer's niece," McCoy stormed. "And now, he's somehow found a way to manipulate the system to get her here so he can make a move on her."

"Oh, laddie, what hae ye done?" Scotty moaned. "Yer courtin' the instrument o' yer own destruction! Ye'll get yourself kicked out o' Starfleet this time for sure!"

Spock's brow clouded at this revelation. "Perhaps they have a legitimate point, Captain. An illicit affair with someone so highly connected could indeed be damaging to your career."

Kirk felt insulted, and it showed on his face. "You're all assuming that the only reason I signed up for this program is so I can sleep with her! And, you're also assuming she won't like it!" Kirk said. Then he realized that he practically had admitted the very thing he was trying to deny, but he plowed on anyway. "You're overlooking the fact that this is a potentially valuable program, and Lea is the best candidate for the position."

"Oh, Lea is it? Already on a first-name basis with her?" McCoy said.

"This is bad," Scotty said. "Ye ought to just start packin' yer bags now, 'cause you're going to end up workin' as a janitor on some tarnished ol' freight hauler."

"Oh, calm down, you sourpusses," Kirk said with a huff. He was secretly excited about the possibility of Lea coming on board, and he didn't want his friends to put a damper on his spirits. "Nothing bad is going to happen, and I'm not going to get kicked out of Starfleet. If she is assigned to Enterprise, I'll just take it slow and see how it goes."

"See? He is plannin' ta bed her!" Scotty said to McCoy. "Can' ye do somethin' to make him see reason?"

McCoy rubbed the bridge of his nose. His head was beginning to pound, and he had no idea how to talk sense into his friend. Obviously, his earlier conclusions about poor Rand had been dead wrong. Kirk had spurned her because he was saving himself for the instrument of his own destruction. "I doubt it, Mr. Scott. He seems hell-bent on self-annihilation."

Kirk was beginning to get truly annoyed. "Why do you all assume this is going to end badly?"

"Well, let's see," McCoy started, counting on his fingers. "You've got a reputation for being an egotistical womanizer, you've been in trouble with Starfleet Command in the past for your inappropriate affairs, you've left broken-hearts across the quadrant, oh, and let's not forget that there is a whole category on the subnet with visual clips of your numerous encounters."

"A whole category?" Kirk said. He hadn't paid much attention to the subnet since leaving the Academy, but he had to admit that was impressive. In a career-suicide kind of way.

"Aye, laddie, it's color-coded: black, white, green and now, since our last visit Earthside, blue," Scotty said. "Which is pretty interestin', ye know, I've always wondered what those Andorian antennae did when they were...um. Ne'er mind," he said when he realized Kirk was glaring at him with open hostility.

"You are infamous, Captain," Spock intoned. He had already packed up the chess board, and was preparing to leave. "However, I must point out that this conversation is most likely moot. Surely, someone who has grown up in the famous Archer family will be on guard in reference to any potentially embarrassing situations. As a close relative of the former President, she will undoubtedly not risk anything that would damage her family's reputation. And with that, gentlemen, I must bid you a good evening."

Kirk watched Spock leave, feeling decidedly deflated. Then he turned his attention to Scotty, who was staring at him mournfully, and then McCoy, who seemed to be seriously annoyed with him.

"What?" Kirk said.

Offline paulmtk

• Supreme VXer
« Reply #21 on: Wed, Dec 23, 2009, 09:01 AM »
Awesome update!  You have pegged the characters very well;
her intricate blond braid bouncing as she entered the lift.

couldn't place Janice Rand, but the blond braid did wonders!!

"Mr. Scott, your attempts at romantic endeavors never cease to amaze me," he intoned in a dry, emotionless voice.

so perfectly Mr. Spock!!

"And that blonde hair, with the twisty braid? Aye, that's somethin' to light yer knickers on fire."

Funny, how with Scotty I can much more easily picture the actor in the latest movie and not the original Scotty from the series.  Dead on with the accent and the expressions  :rule

"Jim, are you out of your cotton-pickin' mind?"

This is so obviously Bones, both versions!!

"You're all assuming that the only reason I signed up for this program is so I can sleep with her! And, you're also assuming she won't like it!"

:lolmao hilarious the way you have captured this whole interaction of friends!!  Definitely seeing the younger Jim Kirk in this fic, which you are makin very easy with your talented writing!!

Offline Bitten

• Space Babe
  • Administrator
  • Supreme VXer
  • Huh?
« Reply #22 on: Wed, Dec 23, 2009, 10:56 AM »
Thank you for reading! :)

Funny, how with Scotty I can much more easily picture the actor in the latest movie and not the original Scotty from the series.

Yeah, me too. I'm trying to keep the original character and the 2009 character in mind while writing this, but it doesn't work with Scotty. I think the Scotty in the 2009 movie is more gregarious than the original Scotty. I'm having more fun imagining him in the new setting. Not that I don't love the old Scotty, but this new guy seems easier to have fun with.

Offline paulmtk

• Supreme VXer
« Reply #23 on: Tue, Jan 12, 2010, 09:50 AM »
Bump   :crymiss this one

Offline Bitten

• Space Babe
  • Administrator
  • Supreme VXer
  • Huh?
« Reply #24 on: Tue, Jan 12, 2010, 12:20 PM »
Aww, thanks! :)  I've been so busy with the move to the new board and web site, I haven't had a chance to get the new chapter up. It'll be here soon. :)

Offline Bitten

• Space Babe
  • Administrator
  • Supreme VXer
  • Huh?
Re: [Star Trek 2009] A Perfect Universe [NC-17] 5/?
« Reply #25 on: Fri, Jan 22, 2010, 10:23 AM »
Chapter 5

Thanks to Furyan Goddess, Pamela, Janine and Princess Silence for the beta work! *hugs*

Reminder: This story is set in an AU in which Spock and Uhura never got together.

AN: The USS Tian An Men was featured in several episodes of TNG and DS9. It is a Miranda-Class medium star cruiser. According to the Star Trek Encyclopedia, the Tian An Men was named in honor of those who lost their lives during the Tiananmen Square protests of 1989 in Beijing, China. I thought it was cool that the producers used this name in the show; yet another reason why I've been a lifelong Trek fan. I wanted to use this ship in my story, but I changed the spelling and the class of ship.

Kirk was in a bad mood. He felt betrayed by the way his best friends were acting. Their melodramatic warnings had effectively ruined his high spirits. He had pulled off a tricky bit of business, not only getting the Enterprise in the running for the test program, but also slotting Lea as the top candidate for his ship. He wanted to bask in his glory. Damn Spock! Of all the subjects to bring up, why that one? Kirk silently fumed. He had intentionally kept the program from his friends for the last few weeks because he knew they'd overreact, and sure enough, they did.

"Killjoys," Kirk grumbled as he entered his quarters. Their dire predictions of failure had been entertaining at first, heightening the excitement of his game. But now it was simply annoying. My career isn't going to come to an abrupt end just because ...

His thoughts faltered. What was going to happen if Lea was assigned to Enterprise? Kirk wasn't the type of man to dwell on his own inner compulsions; choosing, rather, to trust his gut and plunge forward. This situation with Lea Archer was no different than any other; he saw her, he wanted her, and he had taken steps to get her. He hadn't put much thought into why, or what would happen afterward. Obviously though, his friends had considered the potential consequences.

Bones thinks she'll end up hating me, and Scotty thinks her uncle will have me keelhauled for it. Kirk snorted in disgust, but, no matter how much he hated it, their continued harping was forcing him to consider his own motivations. It made him uncomfortable.

There are lots of gorgeous girls out there. Why go to so much trouble for this one? Especially since, as Scotty says, she could be 'the instrument of my destruction'?

He sat at his desk and called up one of the holo images he'd found while researching her. He couldn't deny that he had initially been drawn to her because of her looks. Surprisingly though, he now was more intrigued by the hint of personality that seemed to tease him from the various reports and summaries in which she was mentioned. Starfleet archives held a limited amount of information about her, including a few news clips about awards she had won while attending university and several vids of her at various Federation events. He was still particularly intrigued by that log from Starbase 12, having practically memorized it after repeated viewings, but he couldn't identify exactly why that clip held so much interest for him. Regardless, he had spent a surprising amount of time reviewing her files, and now he felt as if he already knew her, if only vaguely. He wanted to see if his suppositions were correct.

He suddenly laughed out loud at himself; Bones and Scotty would give him no end of hell if they knew how much time he'd spent contemplating this girl. In fact, he was a bit surprised himself, now that he thought about it, which gave him an immediate sense of unease. Subconsciously, he pushed his thoughts toward a more comfortable subject: seduction.  He flipped to the next holo image in his collection, the one where Lea was sitting outside a building on the UC Berkley campus, wearing a conservative sweater yet looking wantonly sexy.

Immediately hard, his cock strained against his uniform pants as he studied her darkly-lined eyes and slightly upturned lips. He had been fantasizing about this picture for weeks, and still, he couldn't get enough. If a fantasy was this good, then the real thing would be mind-blowing, he was certain. It had never occurred to him, even for a minute, that he might fail to seduce her.

I'll have to thank Spock for pointing out that option, he thought sourly. Kirk was stung by Spock's unexpected pronouncement that she would undoubtedly avoid him because of the risk of embarrassment.

Embarrassment! Like being with me would be so bad? Kirk growled in frustration as Spock's words came back to him: You are infamous, Captain.

"Infamous," he grumbled. Up until this evening's unfortunate argument with his friends, Kirk's only concern had been that Lea might not accept the assignment, opting for some other Starfleet job instead of Enterprise. Now his mind was in turmoil, and a tiny bit of self-doubt was dancing at the edge of his perception.

"Surely they're just overreacting," he said to himself, but in typical Kirk-fashion, he couldn't sit idly by and do nothing. He needed to see for himself whether his friends were off-base or not, so he did something he hadn't done for years; he logged onto the Starfleet Academy sub-net. He'd hardly ever paid attention to the underground network while he was a student, except when it came to tracking down his next conquest.  Even though the net had its origins at the Academy, it was certainly not limited to student participation; Kirk knew that lots of Starfleet personnel monitored the sub-net to keep up with gossip.

Technically, the network shouldn't exist as it was not condoned by anyone in Starfleet Command, but the brass understood the need for a social outlet, so they didn't actively pursue the culprits who kept it running. By tacit agreement, the general public was not able to access the net, and classified information never appeared there, nor did any other truly dangerous material. You could, however, find a good deal on a used airbike, or meet a potential new roommate, or see visuals of the latest Academy prank.

It was just this section that drew Kirk's attention. Searching for his own name, he found countless mentions of his past history: his performance on various tests while at the Academy, his role in the defeat of the time-traveling Romulan named Nero, his subsequent promotion to captain of the Enterprise. He also found a large section labeled "encounters."

I'll be damned, it is color-coded, he thought. A guilty smile spread across his face as he browsed the various visual clips, starting with the early days at the Academy. An Orion beauty ... twins from the Lunar colony ... Lieutenant Uhura. Oh, my god. Uhura. That's on the sub-net?! No wonder she didn't speak to me for two years!

As an up-and-coming hot-shot, he'd captured the attention of his instructors as well as the wilder set of students. A few of his more flagrant affairs became the stuff of gossip legend, and the next thing he knew, people were following him on his dates, hoping to catch some titillating stuff to upload to the net. Of course, that changed after the incident with Nero. No longer a harmless student, Kirk now had the attention of everyone in Starfleet, as well as a good number of civilians throughout the Federation.

With his accomplishments and fame came intensified attention; he couldn't leave Starfleet premises without having a host of reporters or other admirers following his every move, and even within secure facilities, someone with a digital recorder always seemed to be spying on him. He was the hero who saved Earth, and the resulting fame, while fun at first, had quickly become a burden.

Kirk opened the clip from his most recent trip to Earth. The Ambassador's wife, he thought. How the hell did someone get a vid of this? That balcony was so high... He watched for a moment, taken again by the woman's beauty. She was truly stunning, and honestly, she didn't look a day over nineteen. Then Ambassador Gnash came into the frame, anger and jealousy clearly written on his blue features as he punched Kirk squarely in the face.

Ouch! Kirk thought, rubbing his jaw in remembered pain. I wonder how many people have downloaded that clip? he brooded, feeling slightly embarrassed that almost anyone could see him naked and still hard, sprawling across a balcony with a pissed-off Andorian trying to strangle him.

He flipped through a few more clips, happy to see that he wasn't getting his ass kicked in any others, then leaned back in his chair with a thoughtful expression on his face. As a student, he rather enjoyed his reputation for bagging the most beautiful and exotic women. It gave his already-large ego another boost. He had not paid much attention to the actual vids that had been uploaded; just the knowledge that they were there kept a cocky grin on his face. But now that he was actually watching the vids himself, he realized that the images weren't always flattering. He might have behaved differently, had he known he was being recorded. In fact, he might have avoided a few situations entirely.

Guess the girls might feel that way too, he thought. He had genuinely cared about several of them, and he was still on friendly terms with almost all of them. His fists tightened in anger as he realized that they could be the subject of ridicule due to their association with him.  Damn it! I've got to fix this. And Spock might be right; if Lea has seen any of this, she'll probably stay the hell away from me.

The thought of Lea brought him full circle. What will happen if she comes here? And why am I going to so much trouble for her?  He didn't have any answers for those questions, which induced yet another, wholly-unrelated thought: self-introspection is a bunch of crap.

Not wasting another second on useless analysis, he began composing a message to one of his old buddies who kept a hand in the management of the sub-net, but was interrupted by a hail from the bridge.

“Captain, a transmission from Starfleet Headquarters is coming in for you,” Uhura said. “It’s Admiral Pike. Do you want to take it on the bridge?”

Kirk winced guiltily at the sound of Uhura's voice, silently vowing to apologize to her and find a way to have the damning vid clips removed from the net. Out loud he said, “No, please route it to my quarters, Lieutenant.”

The admiral’s assistant appeared on the screen, smiling. “Hello, Captain Kirk. The admiral is waiting to speak with you.” His image dissolved, and a moment later, Pike’s face came into focus.

“Good evening, Jim, I trust I’m not waking you?”

“No, sir, I was just, er, reviewing some ... tactical data.”

“Well, I have some good news. Our First Contact Program received final approval," Pike said proudly.

All of the evening's uncertainty and doubt instantly vanished at this unexpected news. With his earlier distress already forgotten, a thrill ran up Kirk's spine. Yes!

"That's excellent news, sir," Kirk said, maintaining his outward composure. "Isn't this earlier than you expected to get approval?"

"Yep, we weren't on the committee agenda until next month, but there was a last-minute cancellation and so we presented today," Pike said with a smile. "And Enterprise will be one of the first ships to take on an NHS.”

"I'm pleased to hear it,” Kirk said. He felt a spike of apprehension at the admiral’s choice of words, however. An NHS? Please tell me it’s Lea!

“We’re scrambling to get all the final details in order," Pike said. "I believe you are scheduled to deliver medical supplies to Starbase 19 in approximately two weeks; your new crew member will be waiting for you there.”

Kirk’s gut tensed, fearing that Lea had indeed turned down the appointment to the Enterprise. Is that why Pike hasn’t said who I’m getting?

Pike’s eyes suddenly crinkled at the corners and he broke into a grin. “Relax, Jim, Lea Archer is your new NHS. I just wanted to string you along to see how you’d react.” He chuckled at the look of consternation on Kirk’s face. “I haven’t seen you look that worried since they caught you cheating on the Kobiashi Maru.”

Kirk raised a finger and started to protest. “Sir, the Kobi—“

Pike interrupted him with a bark of laughter. “I know, I know, you think that test was bullshit. Regardless, you owe me a big thank you. I had to pull some strings to get Lea shifted to Enterprise. She was originally slotted for the Tiananmen.”

“The Tiananmen? I hope she was pleased about the change in plans,” Kirk said. Tiananmen was a huge ship, with a large contingency of non-human personnel. The varied crew might have been a better environment for someone so well-versed in alien culture.

“I didn’t have to work too hard to convince her. She’s almost as enamored with the Enterprise as you and I,” Pike said. “After all, she grew up hearing stories about her uncle’s exploits on the ship. In fact, I’d say she’s got pretty high expectations; you’ve got some big shoes to fill, Captain.”

As if saving the Earth from Nero wasn’t good enough, now I’ve got to compete with Archer’s legacy, Kirk thought. Hiding his grimace, he said, "I'll do my best, sir."

Pike's eyebrow raised for an instant, then he replied, "I'm sure you will. I'm sending you the files you'll need to review."

"Yes, sir," Kirk responded. Maintaining his poker face was difficult, but he continued to be as professional as possible in front of the admiral.

"And one more thing, Jim," Pike said. "I went out on a limb here. Don't get caught doing anything stupid."

Kirk understood the admiral's warning only too well. "I give you my word, sir."

After the connection was broken, Kirk's placed his feet on his desk, and, leaning back, finally indulged in a triumphant smile.
« Last Edit: Mon, Feb 15, 2010, 12:54 PM by Bitten »

Offline paulmtk

• Supreme VXer
« Reply #26 on: Fri, Jan 22, 2010, 11:58 AM »
Nice update; thanks for posting!

The path of introspection and self-doubt that Kirk goes through in this chapter due to his killjoy 'friends' is well written and in character for Kirk

Subconsciously, he pushed his thoughts toward a more comfortable subject: seduction

For this Kirk, yeah much more in his comfort zone  :roll
It had never occurred to him, even for a minute, that he might fail to seduce her.

tiny bit of self-confidence Jim?!
could see him naked and still hard, sprawling across a balcony with a pissed-off Andorian trying to strangle him.

:oops LOL had me rolling with this imagery that you put across!!
finally indulged in a triumphant smile

Yup, the confident J.T. Kirk is back and success is his!!  Great way to end this insightful chapter.  Bet he forgets all about his mission to remove those incriminating vids now!  LOL!

Offline Bitten

• Space Babe
  • Administrator
  • Supreme VXer
  • Huh?
« Reply #27 on: Sat, Jan 23, 2010, 06:48 AM »
Thank you sweetie! It's so nice of you to keep reading and leaving such good feedback. You are a gem! *hugs*

Offline Bitten

• Space Babe
  • Administrator
  • Supreme VXer
  • Huh?
Re: [Star Trek 2009] A Perfect Universe [NC-17] 6/?
« Reply #28 on: Tue, Feb 16, 2010, 06:23 AM »
A/N: Thanks to Furyan Goddess, Pamela, Janine and Princess Silence for the beta. You guys rock!

Chapter 6

Lea was excited. Nervous, but excited. The Enterprise was coming in to space dock, and she wanted to watch. The ship was legendary, especially among her family; even though this new ship wasn't technically the same one that her uncle had captained all those years ago, it was still The Enterprise. She hurried along the corridor on the upper level of Starbase 19, ignoring the other ships that were berthed along the external view ports like spokes on a bicycle wheel. She wasn't interested in the other, lesser ships, and so she looked past them to see if the Enterprise was within range yet.

She couldn't stop the smile that spread across her face at the thought of her new assignment. She had always wanted to be on the Enterprise, ever since she was a little girl listening to her uncle's stories of past adventure. Uncle Jonathan talked about his ship as if it were a living being; he seemed to love it like a real person. His pride and affection were contagious, and Lea couldn't wait to see if the sleek, state-of-the-art ship would have the same appeal for her.

A small crowd had already gathered along the view ports near the Enterprise's scheduled docking berth. The ship, as well as her crew, carried an air of celebrity since that fateful encounter with the Romulan Nero, and many station personnel hoped to watch as it glided into port. Suddenly, someone toward the front of the group pointed, "Here she comes!" The excited murmuring of the crowd intensified. Lea slid between a couple of random people to secure a place at the front of the view port. The ship was quickly getting larger as it closed on the Starbase, finally close enough to read NCC-1701 on its hull.

Lea almost forgot to breathe as she watched it approach. Subconsciously leaning forward, she placed one hand on the view port to steady herself. Uncle Jonathan was right, it is the most beautiful ship in the fleet.

As Enterprise slowed for the final approach to the station, Lea marveled at the size of the ship. The constellation class vessels were all huge, but somehow, Enterprise seemed even larger, her twin nacelles more powerful. She knew she was being silly; any differences in structural engineering would not be outwardly visible, but it did seem like the ship's advanced technology was evident. Despite the ship's size, it very nimbly maneuvered into space dock, making a perfect connection with the Starbase.

Lea continued to watch as various service drones zipped out to the ship, beginning repairs on the inevitable hull scratches and scanning for any items in need of external maintenance. The rest of the crowd drifted away, leaving Lea alone to admire the ship. Mentally, she reviewed its specs: the new voice-activation computing system, the increased warp capacity, the expanded science and research stations. No other ship had such advanced capabilities. She couldn't wait to take her place on board and get to work.

A wave of nervous jitters took her at the thought. I'm really going to the Enterprise!  For years, she had assumed she'd never achieve this goal. Her family had pushed her toward Starfleet Academy from a young age, but her rebellious personality failed to mellow and it soon became evident that she was not cut out for military life. She attended a regular university instead, where she was able to study several emerging fields that were not yet part of the Academy's curriculum. The loosely structured collegiate environment suited her, and she earned several degrees while rising to the top of the ranks in her major areas of study.

Her family had been a bit surprised when, after completing her post-graduate work, she had applied for a civilian job with the Federation's diplomatic division.  Lea had explained that she wanted to continue her family's legacy of service to the greater good -- but she didn't want to give up her personal freedom to do it. Luckily, the Federation's civilian offices were much more casual than Starfleet's military hierarchy, allowing her to find a way to contribute without actually being under someone else's command.

Even as a civilian, she would be expected to follow military protocol while serving aboard the Enterprise, just as she had been forced to fit into the hierarchy for her assignment on Starbase 12. It was sometimes difficult to remember to follow orders without question, and the formal command structure seemed stifling to her; in fact, she often thought she would suffocate under the legion of military protocols. Being forced to obey commands from that idiot Derkson had been almost more than she could stand. These difficulties further convinced her that her decision to sidestep Academy training had been a good one.

Despite her discomfort with the military, she still secretly dreamed of going to the stars, so she was grateful that Admiral Pike had agreed to take her on as his assistant. The fact that he tolerated her head-strong tendencies, and actually listened when she argued a command, made her rethink some of her misgivings. She grew very fond of the Admiral. Unsure of why he put up with her independent attitude, she vowed to show that she was indeed worthy of his confidence.

Not for the first time, she wondered why Pike had asked her to change ships; her original assignment to the Tiananmen seemed more appropriate, with its high contingency of alien crew. The last-minute switch was unexpected, but when Pike spoke of the Enterprise, it was evident that he still had the same emotional attachment to the ship as her uncle. It seemed like the ship had some kind of hold on anyone who served on her crew, particularly the captains.

That thought brought her up short, dampening her excitement. Too bad Pike isn't still the captain, she thought. She didn't mind being under Pike's command, but... Kirk! Of all the people to inherit the Enterprise. Why does it have to be him?

Kirk leaned forward, resting his elbows on his knees. Then he leaned back, grasping the arms of the command chair. He crossed his legs, then abruptly uncrossed them. He narrowed his eyes, then he frowned.

"Ship's status?" he asked the comm officer, for perhaps the tenth time in as many minutes, which was especially odd considering they were still in space dock. McCoy scowled as he watched the captain fidget in his seat; he was fairly certain he knew the reason for the captain's agitation, and it filled him with foreboding. After a few more squirms, Bones had had enough.

"Jim, are you feeling well?" he asked, quietly enough that the other members of the bridge crew probably couldn't overhear.

An expression of guilty surprise flashed across Kirk's face, as if he'd been caught with his hand in the cookie jar, but it was immediately replaced by his usual mask of arrogance. "Yeah, Bones, why?" he replied.

"Because you're squirming like a maggot on a stick," the doctor said with a disapproving frown.

Kirk rolled his eyes, then realized he was on the bridge in front of his senior officers, so he quickly adopted a more authoritative grimace. "Forgive my ignorance, Doctor, but I'm not well-versed in maggot behavior."

"Oh, hell Jim, just go meet her. You're not going to accomplish anything here."

"I thought you were opposed to me paying her any special attention?" Kirk said under his breath.

"I am," McCoy replied in a flat tone, "but maintaining a professional distance obviously isn't working for you. Just go. You've still got a few minutes before her shuttle docks."

Kirk glanced around the bridge, not really noticing the crew working there. "Well," he said with an eager grin, "I am the captain. It's my prerogative to personally greet new staff."

McCoy sighed, motioning him toward the lift. "Just try not to offend her right off the bat," he said resignedly.

Lea stepped off the shuttle, glancing nervously around the passenger docking bay. She had hoped someone would be there to help her get her bearings, but the bay was empty. Even though she had thoroughly studied the ship's layout, an irrational fear of getting lost on her first day nagged at her.  She carried only a small bag of personal items; the rest of her baggage had probably already been delivered to her new quarters. I just hope I can find my room! she thought.

The shuttle pilot exited the small craft, but he obviously had duties to attend to and went on his way, leaving Lea alone. Her orders said to report for duty at 6 a.m. the following day. Mentally reminding herself that that translated to 06:00 ship's time, she quickly calculated that she had approximately 18 hours before someone would come looking for her if she got lost. She sighed, picked up her bag, and started toward the docking bay doors, trying to remember if she was supposed to turn right or left. Suddenly the doors slid open, revealing a tall, blue-eyed man, who skidded to a halt at the sight of her.

Lea paused, her lips parted in surprise. She hadn't expected to come face-to-face with him so soon. Realizing that her mouth was hanging open, she snapped it shut with an audible clack, then stared at him for a split-second. She was supposed to say something formal, wasn't she? Some arcane Starfleet thing? Abruptly remembering, she let her bag drop to the floor and said, "Permission to come aboard, Captain?"  She was fairly certain that he didn't notice the slight tremor in her voice.

Kirk continued to stare at her for a moment, then flashed a smile. "Permission granted, Miss Archer. Welcome aboard the Enterprise."

"Thank you," she said with as much confidence as she could muster. She didn't know what to say next, so she remained silent, hoping she wasn't broaching some other mysterious protocol. The palms of her hands started to feel clammy and she wished she could just slip past him and run away. Say something! she thought desperately, though she wasn't clear about whether she was urging herself or him.

"Would you--" he began, just as she said "Should I--"  They both paused, then she smiled somewhat awkwardly, while his grin became even wider. He then laughed out loud, and resumed speaking. "I'm sorry, Miss Archer, I didn't mean to interrupt you. I'd be happy to help you find your quarters, if you'd like."

Lea felt a sudden jolt of panic at his offer. She'd spent the last weeks mentally preparing herself to meet Jim Kirk in person, and she thought that she was ready, but now that he was standing right there in front of her, she was unnerved. Struggling to control her growing distress, she said, "Thank you, Captain, but you must be terribly busy. I'm sure I can manage on my own."

"It's no problem," he replied, and before she could blink, he had taken the handle of her bag and already was turning toward the exit. "I need to go over a few details with you, so we can do that while we walk."

Lea stood frozen for a heartbeat, torn between dismay at being confronted with Kirk so soon and relief that she had a guide to help her find her quarters. Then she realized he was already several steps ahead of her and was talking again. She hurried to catch up, feeling as if she was being swept away by a smiling tidal wave.

"...dinner at 18:00 hours with the senior officers, in my private dining room. Then tomorrow, report to my office on the bridge about 45 minutes before the start of alpha shift so we can review your responsibilities. I'll assign Ensign Chekov to assist you until you're settled into your work station."

He had already taken two turns that she hadn't expected, skirting a small knot of technicians repairing something in the corridor, then suddenly they were stepping into a turbolift. "Deck twelve," he said and the lift took off. She marveled at his casual use of state-of-the-art technology, then realized he was staring at her expectantly. Wondering what she had missed, she swallowed a gulp and tried to adopt an attentive expression.

"I'm sorry, Captain, I was just admiring the voice-command system."

He grinned again, proudly, then said, "That's nothing. Just wait until you get a look at your work station."

His blue eyes were practically sparkling, and Lea couldn't help but smile in return. She was really excited about working on the Enterprise, and his unabashed enthusiasm was infectious. "I can't wait," she said.

"Good!" he said, coming to a halt outside a door. "Here you are."

Lea Archer was stenciled above the control pad. Despite the fact that her head was spinning from the whirlwind trek through the starship, she felt a thrill of elation at seeing her name there.

"Thank you," she breathed as she held her hand to the control panel for initial identification. The door slid open, and she turned to take her bag, which, oddly, Kirk was still carrying. "Um, I can take that now," she said.

"Oh!" Kirk replied, almost self-consciously. Under normal circumstances, she might have thought his expression charming, but she was still too nervous to dwell on it. As he relinquished the bag, his hand brushed against hers, and just like that, his arrogant grin was back in place. "See you at 18:00 hours," he said. He held her gaze for a heartbeat longer, then turned and left her standing in her doorway.

As he retreated, she felt a profound sense of relief, as if the tidal wave had unexpectedly returned her to a quiet shore. Drawing a calming breath, she entered her new quarters, wondering just how horrible the evening's dinner would be.

McCoy ambushed Kirk just outside the bridge. "Well?" he asked. His arms were crossed and one eyebrow was arched; Kirk thought he looked like an angry grade-school teacher.

"Well what?" Kirk replied. He knew exactly what the doctor wanted to discuss, but he didn't want to make it too easy on his grumpy friend.

"Our new NHS? Is she everything you thought she'd be?" he said in an acerbic tone.

"Yes, Bones, she was delightful. Maybe a bit dazed by the bustle of the ship, but she seemed very capable."

"She wasn't a harpy?" McCoy said, sounding a bit disappointed. He had secretly hoped she would be unpleasant enough to put the captain off his foolhardy quest for her affections.

"Sorry, Bones, no such luck. She was pretty and pleasant and she didn't have any warts. She didn't even smell bad." Kirk grinned in satisfaction at his friend's scowl. "Oh, come on. Stop worrying."

"Well, at least you weren't gone long enough to have made a pass at her," McCoy grumbled. "I hope."

Kirk laughed. "No, I was on good behavior. But I did touch her hand, when I dropped off her bag at her quarters, and I think there was a little spark," he said with a mischievous smirk.

McCoy's forehead wrinkled in surprise. "You carried her luggage? What, you're the ship's bellboy now?"

Kirk's cocky expression never faltered. "Well, I do want to make a good impression."
« Last Edit: Tue, Apr 27, 2010, 11:29 AM by Bitten »

Offline paulmtk

• Supreme VXer
Re: [Star Trek 2009] A Perfect Universe [NC-17] 6/?
« Reply #29 on: Tue, Feb 16, 2010, 01:08 PM »
Woo Hoo!  She's on the ship and the games have begun!!

Great the way you captured Lea's apprehension and excitement over being assigned to the The Enterprise  
A wave of nervous jitters took her at the thought. I'm really going to the Enterprise!

Nice background on her reason's for not wanting to follow her family's legacy in Starfleet but how she was able to still uphold the family 'pride'  :perfect
"Because you're squirming like a maggot on a stick," the doctor said
"Forgive my ignorance, Doctor, but I'm not well-versed in maggot behavior."

:lolmao had me rolling with this one. . .   :think gotta remember that line about maggot behavior
she was unnerved. Struggling to control her growing distress,

and why would she be sooo unnerved by Jim Kirk???  :sing

Hmmm, could it be this . . .
I think there was a little spark,"

Marvelous update . . . looking forward to the next run-in these two have. . .should be interesting!